Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_404771960

Stuck in a cabinet rabbit hole...

Remodel Newb
4 years ago

TLDR: ~44 linear ft. of kitchen cabinets. ~$15.5k - Waypoint, ~$17k - Omega Dynasty or ~$17.5k - Schrock?

Hello, we are hoping to get some advice to push us into making our cabinet purchase decision. We currently have a general contractor, a permit and a new kitchen design. We live in a modest track home, so we want to go with something mid-level. We've received a few quotes, they all are showing the relatively same design.

Our 1st quote: ~$15.5k for Waypoint. Our G.C. connected us with their preferred cabinet guy. He says Waypoint is 1st Tier of their cabinet offerings, with Diamond +20% and Fieldstone + another 20% above that. Local company, been in business for many years.

Our 2nd quote: ~17k for Omega Dynasty. They say this cabinet line is far superior to Waypoint and it is the mid-level line from Omega. We found this cabinet supplier on our own. Seems like they have not been in business for as long. Maybe not as knowledgeable and experienced as #1? But, we like their customer service so far and feel that if our GC can work with them to ensure the right size/quantity of cabinets are ordered, we should be ok.

Our 3rd quote: ~17.5k for Schrock. This supplier says that Schrock is a mid-level product (better than Waypoint, comparable with Diamond). They also remarked, when asked about Omega cabinets, that Omega is a high-value, quality cabinet line. Local company, been in business for many years, recommended to us by a friend who had their cabinets supplied from them.

We have 2 more quotes coming (hopefully soon). One from another supplier that our G.C. has heard of (but doesn't use) and another from a local fully-custom cabinet maker.

Comments (5)

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Omega is head and shoulders above any of the choices. Schrock/Kemper/Diamond is all the same company. Waypoint is just American Woodmark at Home Depot and Shenendoah at Lowes. A bit above builder grade. Light years away from Omega.

I’m surprised that Schrock is more than Omega. I’d suspect it was not an apples to apples quote, and would want to know what is missing from the Omega quote. Even if it were 20K, it would be worth it. It’s that much better.

• Remodel Newb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your input @live_wire_oak. That is pretty much what I found too during my internet search. It seems like a no brained to go with Omega. Of course, I’ve also seen negative reviews for them but assume if you look hard enough you can find bad reviews for any product.
    I am a little less confident with the omega KD/Dealer than the Waypoint guy our G.C. liked. The quote she originally gave us was $14.6k. The preview image of the cabinets didn’t quite look right to us and we realized that she read one of my husband’s wall measurements of 15’ 9” as 159” So she revised the estimate after adding more cabinets to the $17.2k number. I realize that was just a preliminary/rough estimate and hopefully errors like that wouldn’t be made after confirming measurements and design layouts. Still seems like it may be too good to be true based upon the typical prices I’ve heard for Omega. We are waiting for her to submit yet another estimate for the Omega Full Access line because we originally liked the idea of more space with the frameless cabinets and she thinks it might be even a little lower in price. But now I’m second guessing frameless vs. framed too!

• Remodel Newb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well now I am even more torn. We got a quote from what seems to be a reputable local custom cabinet guy. His quote was $24K but that price included installation. Also the limited warranty the company offers is voided AND we are charged sale tax (since the seller has to convert it to a retail sale) if we have our G.C. install the cabinets. We are trying to find out how much our G.C. plans on charging for the installation so we can attempt to compare entire costs for the cabinets themselves plus installation to have a whole picture and compare apples to apples. Unfortunately, our G.C. seems to be beating around the bush when it comes to giving us an estimate cost for his labor to install the cabinets. Elsewhere I've found quotes ranging between $3500-6000. My feeling is that if the labor is ~5K then the cost of the truly custom cabinets from our local guy seems to be the better product and deal over Omega. Geez, I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Beware! Custom is not a synonym with quality! Local custom is not always actually even custom. Sometimes it pretty far from it, and it’s just words for parts ordered and assembled.

What material are his boxes? What method of joinery does he use? Can he describe his finishing process and exact materials? Have you seen his spray booth? Where does he source his doors and drawer fronts? His drawer boxes? What does he actually make in house? If you wanted a curved radius end cabinet made from zebrawood, could he produce that in house?

• Remodel Newb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for your reply! That is very useful information. I'm just learning about cabinetry so some of the lingo is confusing to me. We are scheduled to view his showroom on Tuesday. He seems reputable based upon how long they have been in business and his Yelp reviews but I'm always skeptical. His contract states that they use 1/2" Maple with dovetail construction for the drawer boxes and 3/4" pre-finished maple plywood interior. It also says they have PVC Edge banding (which I have no idea what that is). I will be sure to ask the above questions during our visit on Tuesday! Any other advice you have is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm