Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salonva

Confirmation of my good taste

salonva
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This is too funny. I am trying to get most of my choices narrowed down considerably as I embark on a kitchen remodel. I have been trying to decide whether to put pendant light(s) over a small island. I have been browsing and browsing and am either looking for 2 pendants, or one larger one. For reference, the island will be approx 5 feet long by 3 feet wide.

I keep browsing and decided to look for one larger one and keep trying to find something - anything - that goes beyond looking nice, to really looking especially nice enough to want to live with it in my house. I am trying to find something that just clicks. Also, I don't have a set budget per se, but I am keeping it somewhat moderate.

So I just found a light I thought was attractive and different enough to research it. And guess what- it

s over $1000. Clearly I have refined taste.

It just made me laugh. Still on the search. and here it is.Isn't it lovely?

(actually the whole house needs decorating so I am always looking at everything and getting overwhelmed and ending up with nothing. But that's another story).

I will be posting asking for advice soon.

Comments (20)

• cawaps
    4 years ago

That's me too. Usually I'm browsing to make recommendations to someone else, but I can't tell you how many times I've eyeballed a $3000 or even more expensive chandelier.

salonva thanked cawaps
  • salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lol well not to worry, I don't have my heart set on that fixture. It was just encouraging to me to see something different that I liked and had potential.

Just wanting something to clearly appeal to me. :)

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

I have been updating some of the lighting in my home. It amazes me the difference in price for nearly identical fixtures.

Here is one. It is $140 on Amazon and $519 at Rejuvenation.

Here is another example, albeit not as similar in looks as the one above but pretty darn close. $66 on Amazon and $180 at World Market.

salonva thanked ilikefriday
  • lynartist
    4 years ago

Well take heart! I have a knack for picking expensive lighting too but then again you get what you pay for style wise! That is a very stylish fixture but I’m not sure it’s all that practical in a kitchen though! I’m not sure how much you cook but I’m pretty sure in my kitchen I would have to replace that very attractive shade in a year or two and I’m guessing its$$$!

salonva thanked lynartist
  • salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just thought it was so attractive but I totally agree about impractical. That first one friday posted is really nice- but a tad too different for me. Lovely though and what crazy pricing differences!!!

Still hoping to see something that calls my name, is practical, and not pricey. A girl can dream.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

A couple criteria for you as you "search". Don't pick any fabric shade since kitchens have oils and oils collect dust. Glass and metal easiest to clean. Fixtures that hang from chains are easier to position properly. What is your ceiling height over the island?? What "style" do you have going on? Do you have wiring installed? If so, how many junction boxes? For that size width of island, you only need one light fixture, with one ceiling plate and then some have slender, lights. So, as you know, loads of choices. Help us narrow the "field" with more info.

• salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The ceiling is 8 feet over the island. (at the other end of the kitchen, over the dining area and table it is a sloped higher one with skylights. I am toying with a fixture there over the table but currently have track lighting there which works well).

I am having recessed lighting (maybe not using the right words) and electrician is doing the wiring so not too worried about boxes etc.

I would either go with 2 smallish pendants or one larger. For practicality reasons, I see the appeal of the open lantern types.

My taste is haha all over the place but really pretty traditional/ transitional.

Like for an example re faucets, I like Kohler Artifacts , Delta Cassidy and Moen Brantford.

Previously had Delta Leland in my old house and liked it just want something different. Just to give ideas because I feel they show my style.. (and not sure of finish. probably chrome or stainless. but for hardware, I might consider gold)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

OK, that helps. Let me look around for you. bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Given the size of your island I would choose an open look. See if any of these appeal. I can give you source if any peak your interest.

• salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I definitely love the open look. I like all of them, except possibly for the top left ( a little too different for me but it is stunning). Those are the right feel; I hope the sizes and $ are good too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Top right is Evangeline 6 light (Wayfair) $409.99
    Bottom right is Finch (Birch Lane) $281.00
    Bottom left is Cavana 6 (Birch Lane) $600.00. Also available from Wayfair a dollar cheaper! In case you have credit in either source.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Ummm... do we get to see a photo of your space????

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Haha! Lynartist that’s no fun!!

• salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I haven't had the demo done yet. :)

BC (Before Corona) I was told the cabinets would be received the week of March 16. They are made in USA so on worries about the tariffs and such, but still many states away. Last week, I was half joking saying that it was possible that there would be a glitch due to Corona, and figure it might add a week. Who knows at this point.

I can't really show a photo that would help much because it's going to change considerably.

• salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love the Cavana BUT it's too big and reading the reviews, the color is wonky.

I do like the Finch one, has potential. I do like Evangeline, but might be too much in 8 ft ceiling?

Since looked them up on Wayfair and its families, while looking I came across this one which I wonder about (I would use 2 ).It is Blewitt

and then this one I had saved from months ago. It caught my eyes but always a but-- not sure about the glass and grease etc and it's also only in dark finish but what do you think?

Westminster

Each of these, I would use 2.

Do you think one larger fixture like you showed is better?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I would avoid clear glass. Shows dust faster and more difficult to clean. I prefer the single one just because it is more interesting and different than pendants. So pretty much personal decision.

salonva thanked Flo Mangan
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

If you have an architectural salvage in driving distance i would start visiting regularly...especially if there is one located in a high end area..we visited one in the bay area in our build and found barely used items at a small percentage of cost...in these areas when people buy a home in these areas they tear everything out even if much of it was installed new for re-sale....chandeliers an light fixtures are the first to go

salonva thanked btydrvn
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

I liked the one YOU picked. Just get it....;0)

salonva thanked nicole___
  • salonva
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I picked so many - which one do you mean? :)