Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alakatharine

Entryway Flooring - Heavy Use and Water Intrusion

Katharine Chu
4 years ago

I have a relatively open floor plan from the entry - there are sight lines to the formal living, formal dining, and living room. I know with an open floor plan, it's best to keep things consistent with hardwood in the home; however, I know previous owners had issues with water intrusion at the front of the house. Home is on a creek lot so french drains have been put in place to divert water. While I've been living here, I haven't seen water issues even after a hard rain, but clearly there have been issues prior as there is water damaged parquet floors along the front of the house. This is pretty much all along the front of the living / dining room.

Should I rip up the floors install tile in the entry, formal living, and formal dining? Here's a photo of the entryway and the formal living / formal dining space that I'm trying to remodel and choose flooring. Please excuse the clutter and mess, as we're painting the kitchen and living room! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

I would think you need to rip up all the damaged wood flooring and see if you have

structural damage underneath. Then I would replace with wood. That way you will know right away if/when you have a water issue. Putting down tile, may not show water damage, unless it floods over the tile. Perhaps a more knowledgeable persons could answer your question.

Also, do you have insurance for this kind of thing?

• Katharine Chu
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, the previous owners did have pets, but it just looks suspicious since it's all along the front of the house! I'm not in love with the marble in the entryway or the parquet so was hoping to replace all of it since there's different wood flooring in every room in the house and I like some of the hardwood floors in the bedrooms more (not to mention it would be more costly to replace the floor in the bedrooms so everything is consistent). Will engineered wood stand up okay with an entryway with super heavy use or should I go with a natural stone / tile and bring it into the living and dining room space so it looks less choppy?

• PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    4 years ago

I do like to have something other than wood in a foyer, especially if it is a heavy traffic area, you're in an area with lots of inclement weather, and room layout permits it. Your entry makes it easy to do something other than wood since it's separate and defined. That said, I have wood in my foyer and it's not even very resistant to heavy traffic but few people enter there and we do have a covered entry porch.

Pets will often find a discrete place to do their business. If the prior owner had furniture situated where a pet could go behind it and relieve themselves that might explain the concentration in that area. Also they often go on area rugs so you might be able to see the outline of the rug.

What you put in the LR and DR is a personal choice, so hard to weigh in since it's subjective. I suppose I'd determine whether I like something enough to have it in the entry and the other areas. Having one floor would make the area seem more spacious while having different floors could define particular areas and allow for different design treatments.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

There is no fixing water damaged wood.

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

Whatever you use wood or ceramic in the entry area, you will need some kind of rug

to wipe dirty shoes on.

• PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    4 years ago

"There is no fixing water damaged wood."

If a large portion of the floor is good and replacement wood is available, bad portions can be replaced and the whole thing can be refinished. Some might call that fixing water damaged wood.