Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lukkirish

Amazon Prime has all but disappeared.....a sort of rant I guess...

Lukki Irish
4 years ago

During the past couple of weeks, I’ve had to order several things from Amazon and have noticed that no matter what I order, Prime sales are seldom available. 95% of the results offered are by private sellers and while shipping might still be free, they’re shipped by the seller which changes the return policy. (Not to mention that the prices are much higher too). Delivery times regardless of who’s shipping are 7-10 days at a minimum; Prime sales included.

At first I thought well, like everyone else, they’ve had a cut back in help, as does UPS, but it‘s still not sitting well with me. First, everything I’ve received thus far has been shipped by Amazon and delivered without any shipping delays from UPS. (Which I find to be amazing in itself). Amazon’s posted a disclaimer that says to expect delays and that they’re prioritizing by need, but how do they determine that? For example, last Thursday, I ordered some vitamins my husband needs that really are medically necessary yet, delivery still isn’t expected until the end of next week and they were purchased as a Prime item.

I completely understand the shortages in product and empathize with what the employees must be going through, I’m in no way placing blame on them. However, from a business perspective only, as Prime members we pay for the benefit of quick turnaround and now millions of Prime Members are obviously not getting what they’ve paid for. Amazon’s fault or not, do you think it’s unreasonable to feel that some kind of a refund or prorating of their annual fee should be offered by Amazon?

I can’t help but wonder what percentage of their Trillion dollar income is the result of Prime fees. KWIM?

Comments (99)

• maddielee
    4 years ago

My last Chewy order qualified (over $49.00 ) for free 2 day shipping. It took 8 days to arrive. They did notify me that shipping would take longer then normal. I had no problem with that.

Lukki Irish thanked maddielee
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

can imagine that their warehouses are full of people running around and trying to get orders together. It may be impossible to keep 6 feet of distance

I actually toured a warehouse this past January, with my DH and DS. I heard about it and thought my son, a business student, might find it interesting. We went to one not too far from Boston and the tour was filled with MIT and Harvard students, so looks like I was right!

Anyway, I think workers could very easily stay 6 feet apart. The facilities are unfathomably large; some are a million square feet. It is heavily automated as you might imagine. On the random January day we were there, most people were nowhere near within 6 feet.

As to other issues with the company, I worry about their monopoly power, the data they gather, and what strikes me as not overly generous worker compensation (but hey that is pretty darn common). That said, they are a very well run business and I greatly appreciate them.

• terezosa / terriks
    4 years ago

I've ordered a few things from Amazon in the last few weeks. Most of them have been delivered before the estimated date.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I wish people would stop defaulting to amazon when there are other options. I see people complaining about book orders and wonder why anyone is ordering books from amazon, when there is likely a bookstore near you, fighting for their life to stay in business, who is doing phone and mail orders or curbside pick-up.

Same with household goods. Our little local hardware stores (Ace) have just about anything you want - you can order online and get curbside. Or they will ship.

I think people have gotten lazy and complacent that they can just order from Amazon and pretty soon it will be the ONLY place to shop.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Sometimes that is true, Oly, but sometimes it is simply not true. My DH and I make fun of local stores that want to close at 5 and work a half day on Saturday, and then complain that Amazon is putting them out of business. Or my fave, office and stores that close from 12-2 for lunch. How quaint! Maybe your customers need something on their lunch hour.

Lukki Irish thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

I suspect the problem is that Prime service is just not going to be necessarily available because the delivery system (Amazon contracts out delivery) is overwhelmed.

Lukki Irish thanked patriciae_gw
  • beesneeds
    4 years ago

If one is disappointed in the Prime service.. perhaps cancel your Prime, log a complaint, and request a refund, or a pro-rate, or whatever. It may be for a while that Amazon isn't able to keep up with it's usual 2 day prime service. Because of lack on the shelves- and also, a lack of drivers to deliver. Areas have employed people, utilized UPS, FEdEX, and even gone out to Uber drivers and the like in some areas to try to keep up delivery as best and fast as possible.
    Many delivery and even curbside services are maxed out and slowed down.

An example- you might be promised a curbside pickup window of 4-4:30, but due to backups in the pick up lane when you get there, your curbside was at 5. It wasn't necessarily a fault of the store, just happened things were slowed down. Same delays can apply to delivery services. Only instead of minutes, it can be days.

And also... at this time, a lot of companies are having their office personnel work from home as much as possible. That's our order processing folks, complaint lines, returns, and so on. There have been IT disruptions along there too.

The Chewy was a good example as well. They advertise free and quick delivery on orders over 49... but right now, it's slowed down. Be kind, be patient.

I might be kind of touchy right now. I know of a few people in warehouses that have been sick. A few that have gone through the cattle-calls for workers. Or having to try to pick up Shipt orders as they can because they are the healthy one in the house right now. Office folks that can't process stuff right because their company wasn't set up for home offices till the need came up a few weeks ago.

Lukki Irish thanked beesneeds
  • joyfulguy
    4 years ago

I had an email a few days ago, saying that there'd been an error on my latest?/recent? Amazon order and that I should contact (xxxx yyy) in order to arrange my refund.

Interesting.

I've received a parcel (or two?) over a year ago from them (gift from my U S resident daughter).

But, despite having to agree that my memory is rather tentative on a number of issues, I assure you that I have never made an order to Amazon.

I decided that it would be almost certainly unwise to answer that email!

Quite ine-physient, I'm sure.

Hope you're enjoying your own company, these days: hope you can handle a possible few more months of similar.

ole joyful

Lukki Irish thanked joyfulguy
  • maifleur03
    4 years ago

Really hard to find a bookstore in most of this country that is open. There are some that are still shipping but then you have the problem of shipping backups. With so many people ordering from so many stores shippers unless they have their own fleet of trucks have to wait in line until a there is an opening for goods that are going to your area. While Amazon has some local transportation for goods if something is not in your area warehouse it has to be shipped to there using a common carrier.

Lukki Irish thanked maifleur03
  • Eileen
    4 years ago

I found what I wanted cheaper through Target and got free delivery when I spent $50. I ordered things I'll run out of in the next three months so it was easy to spend enough to qualify. They emailed me for every status update and it arrived a few days earlier than promised. It took less than a week to arrive.

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

Amazon give me a receive by date on Prime items. Every item has arrived days earlier. I think they are doing a great job under the circumstances.

It's still Prime. They still give priority to Prime customers.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Many online sellers are offering deals. Macy's was doing free shipping at $25, last time I checked. I think the minimum is $35 at Walmart.com.

I'm going for my first grocery drive up pickup order at Walmart tomorrow. They have just about everything, but I learned it depends on which store you're ordering from. We're lucky enough to be only a few miles from 3 different supercenters (& a Target store as well). 2 were out of some things in my cart and 1 had everything. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

I have another grocery order to pick up @ Aldi on Wed. & I'm pretty sure I won't be getting everything I ordered, but that's OK.

I plan on only doing drive up pick up or shipping for all my purchasing now.

• Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

I preordered a couple books over a month ago. The Stephen King book isn't supposed to be released until the 21st of this month but I get multiple emails from Amazon saying it is delayed. I got two just today.

I know the warehouse in Shepherdsville Ky was shut down last month but I think it's back open. I just pulled up a news story about it and it says at least 10 other warehouses were shut down across the country due to the virus.

I know Amazon has issues, but there are also good things about the company. Have an old friend who has cancer. While she was going through treatment and multiple surgeries Amazon kept her employed and paid for all her treatments. She is basically retired now due to the disease (stage IV), but she told me the other day that Amazon was still paying her. I had no idea.

• matthias_lang
    4 years ago

On March 24 I ordered olive oil from Amazon. They said I'd receive it May 10! Later I got an update saying April 24. A month if it comes through.

I also am waiting for a package of furnace & A.C. filters, also ordered March 24. Walmart initially said that same May 10 date, then moved it up to April 4 (yesterday), but now is saying April 8.

And then there is flour from Target. Yeah, I would not be surprised if that never gets here. I was quite surprised when they took my order for it at all. Paid nearly twice what I would at my normal source.

Lukki Irish thanked matthias_lang
  • maire_cate
    4 years ago

I haven't had any problems with Amazon orders, they usually arrive on the promised day or earlier. At the moment I'm waiting for a Fed Ex package from Saks that was scheduled to arrive today via ShopRunner's 2 day delivery. Their web site it says that it was loaded on the truck at 6:59 a.m. and that it's out for delivery. It hasn't arrived and I just checked the status update - it still says that it's our for delivery but now it's scheduled for Tuesday. These things happened before we were dealing with this situation - I honestly can't complain - I'm just happy that they deliver.

• terezosa / terriks
    4 years ago

My latest Amazon order (a pair of leggings with pockets, because that's all I'm wearing 😄) was supposed to be delivered this coming Wednesday. I got an email update from UPS that it will be delivered tomorrow.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

OK, spill, Maire, what'd you order from Saks? I'm guessing it wasn't flour, leggings, PT, TP or most of the stuff we common folk are shopping for. ; )

Let us live vicariously!

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

Mtn - I confess, a White and Warren travel wrap (Exploded Star design) that obviously was hard to resist. It was on sale and using my AmEx statement credit it comes to $112 for the full size 81x36 wrap. My first Xmas purchase of the year and I'm glad I ordered it when I did because I just checked their site and the price is now higher.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I ordered a ukelele via Amazon Prime on Friday and it was here on Sunday, less than 48 hours later. I would imagine that's not a high demand item. And definitely not an essential.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

LOL, Ida, Ukeleles are fun. One of my kids had to play in middle school.

Maire, so pretty! And what a deal!

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Ida, chances are that ukulele was already in a distribution center Located close to you. If the one close to me didn’t have one, delivery would take longer.

• wanda_va
    4 years ago

I have noticed shipping delays, but there have also been some major price increases. I think it is because of the pandemic, and I understand. When the pandemic is behind us, if the delays and increases continue, then I will complain. In the meantime, I am grateful for the delivery service.

I wish they would have more free movies on Prime TV!

• Tina Marie
    4 years ago

I ordered some hair products today. They were prime, not due to be delivered until Sunday. The items are from an outside seller. Isn't there prime, and two-day prime? I thought a large part of items distinguished as "prime" is the fact you don't pay shipping? I did notice a message at the top of the Amazon site:

Covid19 and Amazon

We're giving priority to items that our customers need the most. You may experience shipping delays.

• maifleur03
    4 years ago

I normally never purchase food stuffs from Amazon but decided to see if they had candy coated chocolate malt balls because I received a refund on a credit card and wanted to use it. I normally purchase two bags each season and had finished my first bag. I was shocked to see that the size I normally purchase, 13 oz, was over $10 for a bag. Last time I was at a grocery store was March 9 and think I will be in for sticker shock when I do go.

• lucillle
    4 years ago

Walmart has two 13 oz canisters for $7.62. I think Amazon is sometimes a little spendier because of their delivery costs. If you did not have Walmart's minimum and wanted them shipped they would charge an additional $5.99.

• maifleur03
    4 years ago

I can pick them up for less than that I was just shocked that any company would gouge consumers that much. I guess if you had to have them someone would pay that price.

• User
    4 years ago

This may have already been mentioned, I haven't read the entire thread, but re Prime shipping, I believe it is and has been two days from the time the item is shipped not ordered. I don't think there's much they can do, things are just different now.

• jane__ny
    4 years ago

I've been ordering from Amazon and have gotten used to, either delayed deliveries or being surprised when something shows up. I have not received any order in two days. I've had problems finding items, or having to order things from China. Prime does not exist now unless you are ordering socks or a Amazon essential item. I tried ordering things from Pantry and could not get anything. No Mr. Clean, no Dawn soap, forget toilet paper or any paper product unless its Chinese. I've had orders show up over a month later which I forgot about and already bought.

There are orders on subscription and those are not coming either. I understand some of my items might be deemed items the hospitals might need (gloves) but I need those and use them daily.

I realize this is a difficult time for all merchants, however there is something to be said to pay for a service you are not getting. I'm not planning to cancel my membership, but the idea of issuing a partial refund or a price break on next years price would be a nice gesture.

I'm trying to avoid going into supermarkets but find I have to for certain things I haven't been able to find online.

• Suzieque
    4 years ago

I think that this is a time we've never experienced and to expect anything to be "normal" is nuts. Have we become a society of entitled cranks? I don't expect Amazon to go through all of their prime offerings and change each one at this point. We're all just trying to figure how to get through this. Yes, I've ordered some things lately that say Prime and they won't be delivered for a while. BUT - shipping is free and I'm glad that Amazon is giving priority to things that should be prioritized.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"however there is something to be said to pay for a service you are not getting. "

You can thank the hoarders in your greater community and country for having depleted inventory stocks. Amazon sells what it can buy and receive. It can't sell anything else. The only service Prime members have paid for is quicker than normal delivery of items Amazon sells. Not a guarantee that it can supply items that distributors and producers are out of.

I agree 100% with suzieque

• Denita
    4 years ago

I ordered two items from Amazon on Monday Apr 6 and they were promised via email to be delivered Apr 9. I received them yesterday, Apr 7 - one day after ordering the items. It was delivered by Amazon and not UPS. We do have a local Amazon warehouse about 30 minutes from me. I am a prime member for years and haven't any any issues yet. Then again, I'm not ordering TP or any of the restricted supplies. I too agree with Suzieque and Elmer. I'm amazed they are still functioning as well as they are during this pandemic.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

FWIW, shortages of many things are not all due to hoarders. The global supply chain has been affected by the pandemic. A lot of overseas shipping isn't happening, as well as air freight from overseas, due to the huge decrease in airline flights.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

US made or produced eggs, toilet paper, paper towels and locally bottled water (just as a few examples of many) are part of the global supply chain? Hardly.

• sjerin
    4 years ago

Amazon keeps pushing back my delivery dates, but none of the items is that important, so no problem.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I try to avoid ordering from Amazon at all cost, but sometimes it seems the only source for something. I've never paid for prime and find it not that difficult to wait until I have enough in my basket so my order qualifies for free shipping.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

Airlines are converting some of the passenger jets to cargo planes.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/airlines/a31914424/passenger-airliners-cargo-planes/

• runninginplace
    4 years ago

Have we become a society of entitled cranks?

Based on some of the responses in this discussion, we sure have! It's always interesting to see what people reveal about themselves online.

The variations of "I know there's a pandemic but I use X and I want it now and if I can't have it as usual the company is lousy" say an awful a lot about why we as a society have some of the issues we have.

• Suzieque
    4 years ago

Also, for those that are wanting their Prime subscription fee back (or part of it), remember that Prime isn't only free 2-day shipping. There are many other aspects of it (music, movies, etc. .....). Those, to the best of my knowledge, haven't been negatively impacted. Whether or not you use those services isn't the point - the point is that they are all part of the large Prime program, only one portion of which some are complaining about (the 2-day shipping).

• Tina Marie
    4 years ago

I love my Amazon music! We've not used many of the other items (movies, shows, etc.) but I do use the music and the books.

I had two Amazon orders in the last two weeks that weren't two-day Prime, both actually listed a several day delivery spread, but I ended up getting both of them early! Both were outside sellers and the only negative was the bunkie board I had delivered to my dad's assisted living, I did not receive notification that it had been delivered. We've had good service through Amazon and I have found their customer service to be excellent. I'm sorry Lukki that you are having problems and hope it all resolves.

• maifleur03
    4 years ago

I use the tracking on the Amazon website and or in the email that I am sent when an item is shipped to see when something is out for shipment or has been delivered.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

I rarely order online, but at the start of this situation, my athletic shoes were on their last leg (pun intended). I bemoaned that I hadn't gone out and replaced them, and someone here (Eld? I think) recommended I order online. I did through Amazon, and the expected delivery date was May. Oh, well...I'll take what I can get. But they actually arrived about a week after I ordered them, and they are simply a joy to lace up for my daily solo walks. This single pair of shoes that arrived early have been my saving grace for my health and my sanity.

But I'm not a prime member and doubt I ever will be. Amazon is doing just fine without me.

• 4kids4us
    4 years ago

I almost exclusively watch tv programming via streaming using Amazon Prime and Netflix. I pay less per month for Amazon Prime ($9.91/mth based on the $119 membership fee) than I do for Netflix ($12.99/mth). While I also purchase certain things on Amazon and typically enjoy Prime shipping, I see that benefit more as a perk as I get my money’s worth from the streaming moreso than the free 2 day shipping. I’ve ordered just a few things that were listed as “Prime” since the pandemic started and all arrived in a couple of days WTE of a puzzle that took five days. I was just happy to get a puzzle at all b/c a couple of days after I placed my order nearly all the jigsaw puzzles on Amazon Prime were sold out.

• Adella Bedella
    4 years ago

Eggs are available in the local area. After the initial limits were set, there haven't been empty shelves. Many families aren't able to buy in their normal quantities and have to go to multiple stores or find other sources. Bottled water is available again. AFAIK, paper towels are coming back. I don't know about cleaning supplies and disinfectant. Toilet paper is hit or miss. I think some of it comes from China, but we supply the raw materials or some unfinished form of pulp for them to make it.

The mayor just said something about sugar and vinegar... not sure if he said there was a shortage. ETA: He was talking about taking a sweet approach versus the sour approach. It wasn't a shortage. Yay!

• neetsiepie
    4 years ago

Madilee, I ordered from Chewy last week because we were running low on cat litter, and I also ordered enough to qualify for the 2 day shipping. Well, it's been almost a week and I still haven't gotten confirmation that it's being shipped. I tried to get it from Walmert-but they were out at my local store. Thought I'd try Amazon, but the only litter they had that my cats will use was not only more expensive than in the stores, but it also was about 10 days out. I had also ordered some canned cat food-they kind my cats prefer was out, so I had to get a 3rd choice.

I ordered some baking soda for the cat boxes-since we can't empty them, just clean them out until we get more litter, and a case of strawberry jam, because I didn't feel like going to the grocery store. The canned food came within a day, the baking soda two days later-still no idea when the jam will arrive. Meanwhile hubby has PB & Honey sandwiches.

I'd ordered a new desk chair since my old desk chair was not designed to be used for 8+ hours a day-oh my poor hind end! Amazon said it would arrive in 10 days (even though it was Prime) but it arrived 2 days later. I did order some outdoor toys for my grands through Walmart-a bounce house/ball pit, extra balls for the ball pit, and a covered sand table. They all said they'd deliver between 4/10 and 4/17. The balls showed up on Monday, and the sand table arrived yesterday. Still no idea when the ball pit will show up, I've not gotten a tracking # on that, but if I go back on the website it says if I order it to be delivered to the store it will be there in a week.

I'm trying to be patient, I feel fortunate that I have the means to order things on line and I can pay a premium if necessary, but sometimes it does get frustrating. I'm unable to order normal groceries on line for either delivery or pick up. And Costco.com is sold out of almost everything I need. So I'm going to have to venture in to the store.

But back to the OT, I have Prime and am ok with the delays. My Prime membership also includes free streaming, so that is worth it to us since DH is running out of shows on Netflix.

Finally, GS-was it you who ran out of paper towels for pet messes? I purchased a couple dozen cheap bar towels for pet messes. We were going through a lot of paper towels when our cat with IBS was still alive, and it was my preference to do laundry rather than throw out so much paper. Costco often carries them, and in a pinch you can get them at Walmart as well. Check Amazon, too. I just ordered two dozen plain cloth reusable

'paper' towels off Etsy to use in my kitchen. I have a roll that are flannel & terry that are getting so worn out-we use them all the time.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Thanks, Neet. Yes, I hate the trash of all those paper towels, and MIL was able to buy a large pack during senior hours, so we got them. I don't know how many weeks he has left.

• maifleur03
    4 years ago

Sort of off topic but I ordered several boxes of wet cat food that was supposed to be delivered yesterday. This morning I looked out and there was a box from Walmart sitting in my driveway that contained the cat food. On the Amazon website the tracking thing said that they were sorry that the delivery was delayed. This is the first shipment of anything that has taken longer than the suggested time to arrive.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Walmart is delivering Amazon orders???

• Bookwoman
    4 years ago

It's the other way around, Olychick. Amazon delivers Walmart: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Walmart/node/11917748011

• Lukki Irish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

“Have we become a society of entitled cranks?

Based on some of the responses in this discussion, we sure have! It's always interesting to see what people reveal about themselves online.

The variations of "I know there's a pandemic but I use X and I want it now and if I can't have it as usual the company is lousy" say an awful a lot about why we as a society have some of the issues we have.”

Wait a minute here...NO ONE IS BEING A CRANK and NO ONE IS ACTING ENTITLED. I work REALLY hard for my money as I’m sure many others do as well and in my opinion, when someone pays for a specific service, expectations become a part of that deal. That’s very different from feeling entitled. Part of me feels it’s unreasonable and part of me well...doesn’t so i posed the question. It’s apparent that different parts of the country experience different results.

I’ll tell you what is really eye opening to me and that’s to see the way that some people choose to interpret what’s posted.