Madame Anisette is so glorious

I just love this rose ...

Comments (74)

• seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

Gorgeous, Ken!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ken - You have done such a great job of training her!!! What an enchanting rose!! Swoon!!!

• mjkjrobinson
    3 years ago

GORGEOUS Roses, I love them all and great rose gardeners I"m in aw!

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

@Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley Thank you so much! The thread was amazing, had lots of info on MA. We’ve been getting a lot of rain lately, that might have diluted the scent. I went again this morning and smelled several flowers at different stages- it does have an anise like scent, not strong for me. I am 100% sure of its name now:) Thank you, again!

• RRfromR Zone7 VA
    3 years ago

this rose survives anything. i cut it down to the bareroot last year in July so I can move it and it bounced right back.

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

user/purilisa: your picture does look like Madame Anisette to me. I grow her and she was white the first 2 years. She also turns cream white in the heat.

Kenneth I LOVE 💕 your Madame Anisette. She is glorious for sure. I also love how you have trained her on your wall.

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This rose started blooming via my instragram post : Southernlatingardener on mid april . This rose has not stopped
    Blooming ans he have had some tornado winds omg shes so glorious i love her so much !!!

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

I have had the exact same experience. MA is bullet proof, after a late start to blooming, it hasn’t stopped. Only rose that does not take a flowering break

Original Author
    3 years ago

She wont stop i love her !!!

• Lisa Adams
    3 years ago

Wow! I’m very impressed. Gorgeous roses! Lisa

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    3 years ago

Wow Kenneth. I love the way you grew this rose. It is very sculptural and very clean and tidy looking too. I wonder how it will do in my zone. Thanks for sharing.

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

Was evergreen, with no foliage lost in zone 7

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

I feel she is shade tolerant. I planted her between a Japanese maple and the fence and she grew above them both without any issue.

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

• pippacovalent
    3 years ago

Gorgeous!

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

I find the myrh fragrance not as strong as Wollerton Old Hall or Dames de Chenonceau, but more pleasant.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Agreed on fragrance it reminds me of licorish candy

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

This discussion, with its impressive photos, just perpetuates MA whiplash.

MA naysayers ( of which there are many) must be stunned, shocked and bewildered (credit to Howard Cosell).

Original Author
    3 years ago

I have a fb group and my members go crazy everytime i post her ...

• Minshen (8b/9a Victoria BC)
    3 years ago

Gosh that looks SO pretty. I got a bareroot one from Palatines last fall and it’s still tiny in. My yard. Currently I’m only seeing one single bud on the plant but I’m willing to be patient.

Kenneth, was yours a slow starter? How many years have you had it? Thanks!

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

Whiplash is right! Mine is year 3, and it still hasn't done much...but for the first time, I have a 2nd round of blooms on it. First round was only two flowers. 2nd round may be another 2 flowers. But because of photos like yours, Kenneth, and the photos from CoriAnn, I kept her. Actually, now that I think of it, I think this may be year 4? Anyway -- she was small, own root, so I'm giving her more chances.

But -- my Dark Desire is about to get the boot. Not only is it a stingy bloomer, the flowers are small, the scent not super strong, and now the leaves already look bad -- that usually doesn't happen until August!

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Mine was a very slow starter. I waited over 3 years for my first bloom. I had a lot of blind growth. Hard pruning dd nothing to induce folowering so I stopped.

Original Author
    3 years ago

I hear that alot about this rose and blind wood im so happy that didnt haven to me

3 years ago

Kenneth how long have you had your MA?

Original Author
    3 years ago

This year marks 3 years but shes grafted and on Dr Huey .

3 years ago

I think mine is on multiflora root stock. Hopefully it does just as well here in BC!

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Mine is own root

• Helen Mo
    last year

How long before you guys saw blooms?

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year

Mine gave some good blooms first year as an own root, but this year is it's second year and it's truly impressive.

• berrypiez6b
    last year

The Madame Anisette I received from Heirloom Roses had buds within a few weeks , and has bloomed all through the hundred degree weather.

• Helen Mo
    last year

Berrypiez6b and librarian_gardner, thank you for the quick response. That's very helpful to know.

last year

Helen, MA is a winner in my garden.

By far it has bloomed the most out of any 2nd year own root in my garden. Be warned, though, this plant gets huge. It's near 6 ft tall.

And the clusters make great bouquets. This arrangement has just two MA stems.

• berrypiez6b
    last year
    last modified: last year

I can't wait until Fall to see how a pink Madame looks, I have had all cream colored blooms with just a hint of pink.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

Is Heirloom the only place to buy Madame Anisette?

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Kristine- It was either last Fall or early winter I asked Andrew at Northland Rosarium if they would consider carrying Madame Anisette and Rouge Royale again as they once did. He told me he would see about getting them, and may have Mad Anisette by now, I haven't checked back.

If you haven't ordered from Northland before, I can tell you they send extraordinary nice sized healthy roses , beautifully packed for shipping at a fair price.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

Berrypie, I do love Northland Rosarium and have several wonderful roses from them.

I checked this morning to see if they carry the Madame but they dont as if today.

Im waiting for Our Lady of Guadalupe from Heirloom so maybe I will get both from our overly priced Heirloom.

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Kristine, I had to email Andrew with my request, You might have some luck that way if you want to pursue Northland stock. When they have a Madame ready, I plan to buy a second.

It's a gamble to see if Madame Anisette will be sold out by Black Friday, Heirloom Roses had a terrific sale last year with free shipping. Northland had Black Friday free shipping also. Both places send comparable excellent quality. Maybe my MA from Heirloom had the edge to bloom this first year because of it's age .

I'm in amazement, it's not my gardening skills; in it's first year Eden ( also from Heirloom ) is going to bloom, and Earth Angel from Northland has been steadily putting out a few blooms. Madame Anisette is the real shocker with over a dozen blooms and still making more baby buds in this 100 degree heat.

• berrypiez6b
    last year

This was in an email I got today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvhGEKJ5Jy4

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

Just revisiting this thread on Madame Anisette because I finally ordered her♡

Anyone else have any updates on their MA or photos?

What roses did you plant her next to? Any companion plantings?

It does look like she can get quite large in a warm climate.

• dianela7analabama
    last year

labels coming and more pictures, need to feed the baby.

Ok let me start by saying I have had several plants and I shovel pruned my first two. I think the only remaining picture is on help me find. I was too impatient. She has turned out to be fantastic in my garden. She is a THUGH in every way. She grows fast fast and has horrendous thorns. She will take over your space in no time and she is immune to blackspot. She did take like 4 years to rebloom well and that is my only issue with most Kordes. Now I have a lot of Japanese beetles and honestly those summer blooms just get destroyed anyway so rebloom is not something that bothers me much anymore. Health is my primary concern and she is perfect in every way. Her blooms are large and beautiful and fragrant. Ohhh and they last well in a base.

to me she goes well with everything. Lack of good rebloom is the only problem she may have.

here with buff beauty

MA in the back of Summer Romance

On a 12 feet obelisk

With benjamim britten

the other side of the bed with benjamin, the Aptous rose. MA on right back of picture

here same bed 2021 pomponella in there also. kind of wild looking. MA is the one on the right with the large cream blooms

last year

Dianela, Wow, just amazingly beautiful!

MA is huge! I love her with Buff Beauty so much♡ BB is on my list for 2023.

I was watching a You Tube video where they were showing closeups of Summer Romance and MA next to each other like you have yours. The colors really compliment each other.

I bet your yard smells just wonderful when they are all blooming!

MA does sound like Summer Romance:

Huge, disease resistant and thorny! I am not that worried about size or thorns because I have space and am just now getting my beds in so can space them out.

On our farm its better to have larger plants due to the chickens causing havoc. Plus, if the goats get out then they might not have a chance to eat them all before I catch them haha.

I found out after the move that Summer Romance goes crazy with blooms after a good military hair cut lol. I think a lot of these Kordes are just wild beasts in warm humid climates.

last year

I feel like mine was always in bloom this year. The first flush lasted weeks. waswas
    There was the slightest pause late summer and then a second huge flush started late September. Unfortunately, our cold rainy weather hit and the huge amount of buds she set didn't a chance to open. I can imagine she's spectacular I'mImmmmm in a warm climate aawitj with a long growing season. I llove her in my garden.

• dianela7analabama
    last year

Sultry I think you will like her. She is much bigger than Summer romance here. Summer Romance is only maybe 6 feet tall here and MA is a good size climber. My summer romance took a few years to adapt a nice shape, but I like it now. I think MA would do very well against a wall trained as a large fan.

Librarian I wish my Madame A bloomed half as much as yours does. The only other person for which it seemed to bloom continuously was Cori Ann in California and she isn’t in this forum anymore. I wonder what it wants to bloom like that.

last year

Dianela mine did take a short break of a couple weeks but the first flush waswasranwas (😑) ran for a good 6ror so weeks. Then it set another amount of huge buds that would have been glorious in October and November if we hadn't gotten cold and rainy. They started opening in September but didn't enough warm days to take off before everything in my turned mushy.

last year

librarian, good to know your MA is a good bloomer! I hope I am as lucky. I'm sure it will take a few yrs to get going as it will be own root. I will have to be patient :/

last year

Sultry, mine is own root from Heirloom planted fall 2020. I think it responds really well to lots of rain and warm sunny days. It really took off.

last year

It should get lots of sun & rain here. Now I have to figure out where to eventually plant it!

• Caroline Sias
    last year

Librarian gardener I am in love with Madame Anisette and must have her! I'm in zone 8 on Vashon island, fingers crossed she does well for me here, as well as yours :)

last year

Keep us updated, Caroline!

• gawdinfever Z6
    last year

Gorgeous blooms and foliage!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County