Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christina_c99

Vision for new home gone wrong

CeeCee
3 years ago

Hi everyone..

We are building a new home and had ordered black windows with our builder. We were expecting that they would be black on the outside AND inside. When we stopped by today, we saw that they are black on the outside but WHITE on the inside. We didn’t know this as we would have been more specific when we ordered. I am devastated because I had a vision of what I wanted. I wanted black interior doors and windows. Builder says there’s nothing they can do now since windows are installed and custom measurements. What should we do? Cost is $25,000 + to replace all at this point. Can we paint?

Comments (46)

• CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This was the vision I had in mind with black interior windows

• Tracey Woods
    3 years ago

Assuming it isn’t an error on the suppliers end, do your windows have grilles? You can paint the sashes but if the grilles are between the glass panes you won’t be able to change them.

CeeCee thanked Tracey Woods
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

what does your contract say? it will very plainly tell you the interior color.

Assumptions cannot be made when doing a custom build. you HAVE to spell out every custom thing you want.

where is the window order that you signed? what does it say?

CeeCee thanked Beth H. :
  • CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The spec sheet says black windows but doesn’t specify that the interior is white. We assumed black was black but they’re saying that would have been a $3000 upgrade which we would have gladly paid if we knew. So let’s say it’s both at fault: we didn’t ask and they didn’t clarify. Now the builder obviously won’t eat the $25k cost to replace so now what ... 😢

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I would sit down w/the builder and point out this omission. At any point did you show him a picture of what you like, or tell him you wanted black interiors? anywhere? in a text, email?

perhaps if you try and work out a compromise and offer to pay the extra 3K, could they meet you halfway? or maybe you could just get the black interior for the main living space?

Spec sheet isn't the window contract. ask him to see the order sheet for the actual windows. (It should ALWAYS have the interior color. always. unless it's wood interior. then it will be raw wood, or it will say what color it is to be painted. but they charge extra to paint interiors)

Or, call the company where the windows were ordered and ask them.

if you have exhausted all means of a compromise, and you were found to be at fault for 1. not clarifying and assuming, or not checking the contract, then perhaps you could try and paint the interior yourself.

Are they vinyl interior?

vinyl is difficult to paint, but I have seen someone who did it. It is always better to have an interior to paint black than the exterior. the sun will fade it.

https://www.brightgreendoor.com/painting-vinyl-windows-black/

https://plankandpillow.com/how-to-paint-windows-black-no-taping-required/

https://www.windownation.com/blog/post/can-you-paint-vinyl-windows-hear-from-the-experts/

CeeCee thanked Beth H. :
  • strategery
    3 years ago

"The spec sheet says black windows but doesn’t specify that the interior is white"

Assume at your own peril.

• nhb22
    3 years ago

This is a very sad predicament. To me, the black interior dividers have a lot going on. In your vision photo, my eye goes straight to the black and not to the outside views. Maybe it's a better look in person and the black dividers are not so distracting.

My question is what type of window covering were you planning on? Or will you need any? Definitely no white blinds. Black would be terribly dark. Perhaps some sort of pull down or auto shade?

• CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@nhb22

This is the back of our house.. left window is pantry window with no coverings. middle window is sliding door to deck. Right three windows don’t open. I was going to use curtains for the big windows

• nhb22
    3 years ago

👍 Sounds good. You view is beautiful! I hope you are able to work out a solution.

• BT
    3 years ago

Was framing of this wall OK'd by an engineer?

Single king, shopped 2x10? header, pre-rotted cripples, sheathing (?)... wind shear, axial momentums? Will they be relying on those vinyl windows for structural support. May be it is ok. I am just getting nervous looking at that. Getting the feeling it could axial to right.

• Trish Walter
    3 years ago

Let this be a lesson for the rest of the build to make sure you are getting what you think you are getting. Show pictures and describe in detail and read the order forms, etc.

But, let's move on. With the white windows and no grids the focus will be on the beautiful views outside. Don't put grids if you had planned [like inspiration pic]. And, just think, you will have more decorating options.

And you've saved $3k to spend elsewhere.

Please join us in the building thread:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5907777/may-2020-building-a-home#n=81

Best of luck.

CeeCee thanked Trish Walter
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 years ago

Typically, windows and doors are specified in a schedule which is an important part of the plans and specifications. It's produced by the architect/designer--not the builder. Unless the builder produced the plans, I think your frustration may be misdirected.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

What are the interiors? Unless they are vinyl just paint them black...

CeeCee thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HALLETT & Co. theyre vinyl unfortunately

• CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Charles Ross Homes the builder produced the plans, ordered the windows.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 years ago

This is the part where architects and designers scold you for choosing a builder to do the design.
    Fasten your seat belt for that. Some 20 +/- years ago I red lined a set of plans for a client who returned them to his architect for correction. The architect told the client "there is no such thing as a "perfect" set of plans." I agree--and that applies no matter who produces them.

You've hired a builder. They should contact their sales rep for the particular window brand and get them working on the question of whether and how the vinyl interiors can be painted. Painting the windows may invalidate the maunufacturer's warranty so be sure to check on that before you proceed.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

It may be a good idea to live in the house for a while to see if white windows on the interior impedes on your vision of your dream as much as you think.

• acm
    3 years ago

I'm almost sure that I pay *extra* for dark exterior, white interior, so I'd double-check whether you're getting flim-flammed.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Other way around acm. Black interior is definitely an upcharge over the white.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Black interior is for sure an upgrade. We really wanted it too but couldn’t swallow the price tag.

Once I accepted it I really moved on and quite love the white now.

In your case you didn’t accepted it, it surprised you. I would let it go but I wasn’t heavily invested in the colour. So hard.

CeeCee thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

everyone poo-pooing the black interior. ??

I think this is gorgeous. (however, I'd prob forgo the muntins only because of the view)

don't understand why anyone thinks the black detracts from the view. I think it's a beautiful frame for it

CeeCee thanked Beth H. :
  • Trish Walter
    3 years ago

@Beth H. : i think i'm the only one that mentioned view? it was the grids i was mentioning. the grids detract from the view.

OP is stuck with the white so we are making lemonade instead rubbing salt on the lemon.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

I’d agree, black is far from a trend IMO.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Trish, No, there was someone else who said something about the black.

And I'm assuming that if she got the white windows, then she also got the grids. (which may not be removeable) I'm just agreeing with you.

not quite sure how you got me rubbing salt in the wounds. I'm agreeing w/the OP. I also gave her some info on how to paint them (she asked) in case she wants to go that route. (and, also making sure to double check her actual order to see who erred)

• CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey everyone! thank you for the advice and feedback. These are the windows installed (went there today) and to clarify there are no grids. We’ve researched that although painting it black is doable, it may look worse or void the warranty. After a night of sobbing, I think I can live with it... and someone else suggested painting the trim black is a possibility too.

Our vision was black interior doors.. so do you guys think if we left the windows white that it would still be ok to paint the doors black?

• B Carey
    3 years ago

Is this your dream home or a home you will probably sell in 7 years? If I planned to stay for 20 years, I would replace the living room/kitchen/entry windows. No need to replace ALL the windows in the house. (Paint those if the grids aren't inside the panes). If you will likely sell in 5-7 years, then work with the white interiors and focus your efforts on planning the next house build!

CeeCee thanked B Carey
  • prepmom
    3 years ago

I think that the white windows with the painted black plain casings look great! I love that idea because it gives you flexibility to paint white in the future if you want to change the look.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Yes go with the black trim and black doors. I think it will be even more dramatic and beautiful.

• tsjmjh
    3 years ago

Problem solved ! Black trim, black doors. It will be amazing.

• shead
    3 years ago

Agree with the others on painting the trim black! It will look great!

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

Sadly, I don't think there's much to be done at this point. You have the windows you have and the paper trail does not support a re-do with the contractor eating the cost.

For those of you out there working on new builds, it is SO IMPORTANT to have your architect or designer do interior renderings so there are no miscommunications about the intent of the design. And for those of you who mention window schedules on plans, I've rarely seen the color of window frames described in the spec. It's usually just a size/style and MAYBE a brand. Then the contractor purchases via his supplier. So, lesson learned: builders are on a schedule and are trying to build out your plans as quickly as possible. The longer their subs are on the job, the less money they make. So you have got to be really specific.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 years ago

A well detailed set of plans and specifications is critical to align the expectations of homeowner and builder. The extra time and expense to produce them pays back in faster construction times, fewer change orders, better sleep and savings on blood pressure and heartburn medicines.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    3 years ago

I like the idea for the use of black simple trim & doors. make sure to post photos please,

• Laura Mac
    3 years ago

CeeCee, your home is going to be soooo beautiful! What a gorgeous view! What state are you? I'm actually looking for black sliders/doors on interior and white on the outside (for HOA rules)! Does anyone know of a brand? I'm going to make some calls this week..... :-)

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

Oh I’m glad you liked the black trim idea!

or, even with no black trim...gorgeous

and yes, white windows and black doors is great

CeeCee thanked Katie B.
  • Katie B.
    3 years ago

@Laura Mac

I’ve looked into this as well. Jeld-wen makes white sliders with unfinished interiors that you can paint whatever you want. I’m sure there are other brands that have this as well.

• CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We are in Canada ! Ours is the house on the very far right :)

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Where in Canada is this?

• Laura Mac
    3 years ago

Gorgeous CeeCee!

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

Your house will be gorgeous. Way to go.

• CeeCee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@AS this is Ontario Canada.. @Laura Mac my sliding doors are from Dashwood. thank you!!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

I’m sure it will be great CeeCee. We are in Vancouver :)