Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Need Pyrex storage lids - EarthInsider?

bbstx
3 years ago

DD has a lot of Pyrex storage containers - a LOT. She likes the semi-rigid lids on the Pyrex because it allows her to stack the containers in the fridge. However, she has to buy new plastic lids every year or two because the ones she has crack. She has done some reading on the subject and apparently, a great deal of cracking is not unusual.

I found these LIDS. Know anything about them?

Comments (15)

• lascatx
    3 years ago

I have had the same issue with both Pyrex and my Tupperware. I replaced the Tupperware with a different brand -- too many issues and the theoretical replacements haven't gone well for me -- but I did get replacement lids for the Pyrex through Amazon or directly from Pyrex.

bbstx thanked lascatx
  • Arapaho-Rd
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have some silicone stretch lids that were given to me and I love, love them. I have wanted to order more - saw Earthsider brand. Mine have a smile on them, blue. Thinking they came from Amazon. My only concern where made, are they BPA-free. But they are wonderful. I had stopped using plastic wrap, went with foil and wax paper. Mine are a set of 6.

bbstx thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • plllog
    3 years ago

I put my Pyrex lids in the dishwasher. They're at least 8 years old. The dark blue ones are in good shape. Red gets used a lot less, seems stiffer, but still fine. The white one cracked all over the place, all of a sudden. My Anchor lid is also dark blue, also goes in the DW, and is also fine.

I haven't been able to find a new lid on Amazon for a decent price. Maybe I should call the outlet. :) I think they should be opening this week.

Are those lids stretchy silicone? I don't like those. They're squishy and once they get a little mold on them (and who hasn't had mold develop in a container?) it never comes off. Or maybe bleach would kill it, but not normal washing. I don't like that it doesn't say what they're made of.

bbstx thanked plllog
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

With extremely active 3 y/o twins and a 9 mo old, DD isn’t going to do any hand washing except maybe her Swiss Diamond cookware and her cast iron skillets. She is on her second set of lids and they too are cracked. And to make finding lids more difficult, we do not want anything made out side the USA or perhaps the EU.

When I was little, Mother had “icebox” dishes. They were small, square, and had glass lids. As I got older, I hated them, because I was afraid of chipping the glass. I think they can still be found in antique/junk stores.

• plllog
    3 years ago

My mother had those too. Maybe still has a couple. :) I have a couple of Pyrex ones that are a bit smaller, but the same kind of idea. Good for asparagus or green beans. There's a colored gasket (or pad ;) ) around the edge of the glass lid, and they came with plastic lids as well. I don't see them on Amazon, though. I'm a little antsy with the glass lids, too, but I like them.

My point was that I put them in the DW too--I don't baby them, though it could stiffen them--and mine has a heating element, though I'm sure I don't use them as hard as your daughter does. They do live in a cabinet out of the sun and heat. My other point was that the white and blue covers for the big bowls were bought at the same time, had similar amounts of use, and the white imploded a couple of months ago, but the blue is fine. I have a lot of them, and the dark blue is just fine. It also feels more flexible than the white or red. The red feels totally different. The white feels stiffer. Colors can really affect the texture of textiles, so why not plastics? Or maybe different colors are made on different lines with different formulas (as are textiles). And the dark blue, including the Anchor, seem to hold up much better.

Thank-you for bringing this up, though! I found a two pack on Amazon for an acceptable price (I don't want to store 4!). They all cost less than last time I looked.

bbstx thanked plllog
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

I had recently ordered some Pyrex replacements from Amazon - arrived today. Price was reasonable I thought.

ETA: just washed them and noticed they are made in USA.

bbstx thanked 3katz4me
  • lascatx
    3 years ago

I don't have those lids, but I did buy some lids that are a silicone type. They seem too soften and warp or twist in the DW, but that go back into place -- at least so far. They just look a bit wonky.

bbstx thanked lascatx
  • annie1992
    3 years ago

I have some silicone lids that are similar to the ones you linked, but they are a different brand. I'm still deciding if I like them. You can't stack things on top of them, so no bowl on top of another bowl, like with the sturdy Pyrex plastic lids. They're like a trampoline, LOL, definitely not made for stacking. And I find them difficult to put on and stretch tight over a full container of anything messy.

I agree, the blue Pyrex lids seem to last the longest. I get mine at the outlet in Grand Rapids, and buy them several at a time. Those glass Pyrex bowls are my favorite containers.

I do still have a couple of those old FireKing "refrigerator storage" boxes with glass lids, including a very small one that I use for keeping spare keys.

Annie

bbstx thanked annie1992
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Isn’t it silly that they can’t make lids for Pyrex bowls that will last more than a year or two? The whole point is not filling landfills, although I suppose that a batch of lids every couple of years is better than cling wrap.

Annie, your comment falls in line with other things DD has read about it being difficult to get the silicone lids on and off. I like your trampoline simile! That definitely is *not* what DD is looking for.

I just looked up Fire-King and that was exactly what Mom had! They were clear but the glass had a blue-ish or green-ish tint to it. She also had a set of the jadeite mixing bowls. And the set of mixing bowls that were white on the inside but colored on the outside, yellow, green, and blue. I vaguely remember there was a red one at some point in my childhood.

It seems that the consensus is order more lids and be prepared to replace them periodically, like she does now.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

I went through this a few years ago. I have such a beef with the pyrex brand for this enormous flaw. Shame on them. 101 in the design process is functionality in all the elements of a product. Replacement lids cost nearly as much as a new set.

I ordered a new set of lids just that one time and refuse to do it again. Such a shame after all these years they still make them the same way.

At the time some here mentioned other brands and types of snap-down and then the stretchy 'trampoline' silicone hit the market. Reviews have been spotty. I really did not want to start all over with a whole new set.

I've been using the versatainer take-out brand that fits both sizes. Sits in nice up-side down and 'free' from take-out I collected at work. AND goes through the dishwasher.

Over the holidays I stopped into Ikea and picked of 4 of these square glass containers with a silicone seal in a bamboo lid. (they have various lid choices). After a 3-4 month trial run we love them. They stack nice and fit the cabinet space better. Just took a screen shot and hallelujah, they deliver. I've been wanting more but it was store only before covid.

I can fit 6 right next to my main cutting board and prep for pizza toppings, etc. Then if 3/4's full they stack without lids. DH has been putting the bamboo lids in the dishwasher but probably should not. The seal is nice. Not cheap plastic.

They pass the shake test but obviously not the upside down test so I'll get a couple 3-4 of the snap down lids for use in the cooler. (I just filled one with water and put it on a sheet pan upside down. No leaks but could not toss in a lunch bag).

bbstx thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • plllog
    3 years ago

The price per lid is much better in volume. Maybe get her the dark blue with extras?

bbstx thanked plllog
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

I, and my family members (bought sets for all of them), truly like these silicone lids from Amamzon. Once they are put over the container, they form a sort of sunction and stay in place. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015EKXFIY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some of my Pyrex lids are very old and still in good shape. For the newer Pyrex lock-type lids storage containers, have had no trouble with those lids, nor have family members. Guess I have been lucky. I do not put them in the dishwasher. I did a few times and just felt as if they were not getting clean, so stopped doing that.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

bbstx, I saw lids that looked exactly like the ones you posted the link to on the Amazon site.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

I have those Walnut and like them very much. I trialed with a three pack and have another five pack.

Tricky in the fridge as they can get knocked off occasionally. Mine dishwasher fine and have had them for a couple years. One variety does not have a high profile knob. So they are strong enough to stack-ish. I like that their designated drawer holds kitchen towels and the silicone toppers without taking up any room.