Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindahaden

Need paint for walls with this rather wild rug?

lindahaden
10 years ago
I have looked at so many paint colors and can not decide what color to paint. It is a new house and is very open to the kitchen. I have large windows across the back with a forest view so thinking of pulling the green or tan from the rug. Want to use Sherwin Williams paint and could sure use some suggestions. The trim is Dover White.

Comments (18)

• lindahaden
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like it. The color will also be used in the entry, hallway. Not sure if I love it. It looks to be a perfect match!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I've re-chipped with SW's program and used the rug without the chair. These are the colors detected in the photo. The Ellie Gray, Smoky Blue, or Celery would be great backdrops, and allow the rug to take center stage.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I like the Ellie Gray
  • sharleeg
    10 years ago
    I think the tan/greige color would be lovely and neutral. I think the Ellie might be a bit leaning too gray, not enough brown for what my eye sees in that rug. Perhaps take a look at SW 6079 Diverse Beige. Best of luck!
  • kimjesson
    10 years ago
    I would go with a sage green...
  • kimjesson
    10 years ago
    The sage green is sherwin Williams color SHORE number 8115 Martha Stewart signature
  • Amy Stanley
    10 years ago
    Normally I air on the neutral side and I love that taupe color above- but my first instinct was to pull that lighter shade of green out of the rug- The best way to choose is to bring the samples home and place them in the room to see how they work with the lighting and also to put near the rug to make sure they match.
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    SW Witty Green, Haven or Green Vibes...lovely, pale greens.
  • caches
    10 years ago
    Depends!....Want a warm room and notice the rug, how about a soft butter yellow, to view the yard and not the room, then a sage would work...to mono tone a\ neutral vibe, then I suggest a grey or beige.....or are you a bit daring , how about a cornflower blue.
  • PRO
    Donna Walker, Artist
    10 years ago
    Like caches, I like a soft sage green (Nurture Green or Haven), or a soft butter yellow (not too yellow)- something like Sherwin Butter Up, or Friendly Yellow.

I think the green would set off the red of your rug very nicely!
  • lindahaden
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all. Leaning to a sage green. Will check all the suggestions. The background is a strong raspberry in the Capel rug so a soft color green may work!
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    What else is going in this room?
    Furniture?
  • lindahaden
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Judy, this is a large open room (great room) in photo. The back wall is a fireplace flanked by floor to ceiling windows. The wall on the right will have TV on a low cabinet. I have a Rowe Nantucket sofa that I'm getting a new slip cover from Rowe. Color not certain as yet thinking of pale maize or natural for that. Want to use 2 chairs beside FP and 2 chairs in front of island for TV watching. All new yet to be selected? The porch will be a deck as I want the light. Dover White cabinets in Kitchen. Ideas appreciated. The paint color from the rug is KEY I think.
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    I think the natural color slipcover would work with green, butter or the taupe.
    The maize slipcover I would go the taupe color.

One of my favorite soft dull yellows is BM oriental silk, it is not on the color chart anymore, but a BM store can make
    It.
  • PRO
    Gantt's Decorating
    10 years ago
    I don't know what else is in the room, but the major color of the rug is usually the best way to go. In this case it would be the redish color.
  • PRO
    Donna Walker, Artist
    10 years ago
    Hi again Linda, glad you added an update and details. We have two Rowe sofas, one purchased 7 years ago and one 3 years ago. They hold up well and are very well made. I am a big fan. The natural slip cover sounds like a good way to go. If you wanted maize, perhaps use that color in the side chairs or pillow accents.

All will look great with soft green walls. I hope you add "during" and "after" photos! I would even suggest bringing in bits of the blue in other accessories, as accents.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Use a latte, from rug or the gray brown. Get samples. Paint whole house same color.