Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_hoffman8

What color would you say this floor tile is?

Donna Hoffman
3 years ago

This floor tile looks gray-ish to me. What color would you paint the walls to make this room pop? Righ now it just doesn't look right and I don't know why. Too much taupey brown? Any thoughts?

Comments (12)

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

You are almost there! You need a large rug to tie the colors together....and new pillows with texture/pattern/color...and something on the mantel (maybe an art glass piece?) rather than a bunch of little pictures

Donna Hoffman thanked Sammie J
  • PRO
    KIBV Inc.
    3 years ago

A light light chocolate brown tone for the walls, as the sofa is cold, the tiles are cold grey, and the furniture and doors are warm. Another approach would be to replace the sofa and chair with a equally bold red vs blue, to warm the room, as this blends with the wood flavors and the red orange of fire place.

Donna Hoffman thanked KIBV Inc.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

I would say Taupe.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

It’s a bit busy, it has lots of colors. I would paint the front door black and get a simple coffee table that doesn’t compete with the floor.

• jewelisfabulous
    3 years ago

I think the wall color is about the most perfect tone that could be selected to go with the floor. Agree about the coffee table. Love the blue couch.

• PRO
    KIBV Inc.
    3 years ago

Don't paint the door, please! A nice fresh stained softwood door such as it is it ruined if you were to paint it. That is like a 5000$ double door package custom made. Not a Home Depot 600$ buy off the floor door package.

Donna Hoffman thanked KIBV Inc.
  • PRO
    Woodhaven Renovations
    3 years ago

The floor is Griege. Beige + grey. Currently it is a grey wash with the walls and floor being the same tone. I would paint the walls white which will make your couch pop and any colorful pillows or plants you add in the future.

Donna Hoffman thanked Woodhaven Renovations
  • PRO
    Blackdoor Design by Tamra Coviello
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The floor looks like it is violet grey and pink taupe. If you are wanting a fresher look, then I recommend in Sherwin Williams Pacer White or Egret White, both a taupe greige or Benjamin Moore Windsbreath (taupe greige) or BM Fossil (violet grey) There is also BM Balboa Mist (violet greige) which I think would be beautiful. These look darker on the computer than they really are. I recommend holding the chips next to your existing walls first to see the difference. I believe they will lighter.

However, my other concern is the sofa in the space. It appears to be blue grey and I would like to see it repeated somewhere else in the room. I suggest once you have picked a main wall color then you hone in on a blue grey color for the soffit around the fireplace and remove the baseboard. It is a minimal cost to have a good drywaller to repair that and paint it. Or better yet remove the tile on the fascia inset and tile the soffit around the fascia then replace the tile on the fascia in a mosaic. It will update the fireplace and elevate the fireplace to new status in the room;) All the while relating to the sofa. I realize the sofa might not stick around as long as the hard finishes, but by choosing the quartzite and marble hard finishes with a spectrum from whites, taupes and grays you are not married to that color sofa forever.

If you like any of my color suggestions, I always recommend spending the $5 a sample paint pot and paint a 11x14 poster board for each color you like , then use a plain white 11x14 board to block out the original paint on the walls and view them in morning natural light and then in night time , artificial light and pick the one you like the majority of the time.

Good luck!!!!

Just saw many recommending painting the stained wood. I would hold off until you have picked your paint color for the walls. Honestly, when using a taupe it compliments all undertones and I am really a fan of natural wood in a monochromatic look. Don't get me wrong I will paint wood 85% of the time in my clients projects, but there are those times when the stained wood adds warmth and interest that paint otherwise can not...

Also I recommend adding some more patterned pillows and different textured pillows on the sofa. Even introduce a color like dusty dark blues, dark mauve pinks, or deep yellows (like in the squash family;)) that you like

Donna Hoffman thanked Blackdoor Design by Tamra Coviello
  • lynartist
    3 years ago

There’s nothing wrong with your sofa or your paint color. Some of these changes may be fine but they are$$$! Your door is too orange! Restrain it . Add some blue as an accent color and change that coffee table! No more orange wood anything in here!

Donna Hoffman thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    3 years ago

If you want to keep your coffee table then get a rug to separate it from the floor.

Donna Hoffman thanked lynartist
  • SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

You are floating in a gray cloud. The only 'grounding' of the space is the door. You have gray on gray with some gray and some gray. On the walls you have gray. Your table blends into the rest of the 'overcast sky' which means you see nothing but the orange door. Even the wall art, as pretty as it is, is made up of washed out colours.

I HIGHLY recommend some contrast in DEPTH of colour. If you want POP then orange, lime, grape, papaya, blood red, etc will all work. If you want to create INTEREST without adding in a colour clash then you have to change 'depths' of colour.

Add some flashes of electric blue (an entire carpet of it will do). Large sections of slate blue, (3 steps darker than the stone at the door), charcoal, deep plumb, etc.

As an aside, I find the subtle colour clash between the entrance/fire place tile and the wood-look tile to be disagreeable. The taupes do not work well with bluish gray. I would suggest covering up the wood-look tile with a massive area rug and then live with it.

Go ahead and paint the walls primer white and leave them for a month or so. Inspiration comes at the weirdest times. Something as simple as a bouquet of flowers can inspire the wall colour.

Donna Hoffman thanked SJ McCarthy