Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curlycurly

Ideas needed for 70s split level bungalow with no curb appeal

curlycurly
3 years ago

The garages are what you see when you drive up to the house and the deck railings above the garages makes the house look like a prison. Most people are unsure about how to enter the home as the front door is barely visible. My idea is to remove the deck above the garage and add a third garage but that might look too boxy and flat. i could add a window above the second garage but that might look too symmetrical.

My other idea is to move The front door to where the bay window is on the right hand side and do a nice post and beam portico to make the entry stand out. Any thoughts??

Comments (19)

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

A fresh coat of paint with white fence and deck railings would be a big improvement. Add new professional landscaping with a flower border that leads to the front door.

• teeda
    3 years ago

Could you relocate the stairs to the deck? Or just remove them? Then replace the bulky railings with a more modern metal cable system. Maybe change the change the color of the el portion of the house to something with more contrast to the stone, paint the door something brighter and add new landscaping near the entrance part of the house to draw the eye there

• jck910
    3 years ago

Are you going to use a deck on the front of the house over a driveway? I would into removing it as suggested. New garage doors with a row of windows would be more welcoming and fresh landscaping

• lyfia
    3 years ago

I can see how it could be confusing as to where to go for the front door with the path splitting into two areas. Go up the stairs to the deck for the front door or go right and towards the other door. I think the easiest to solve that would be to remove the stairs to the deck.

What are your thoughts on adding a 3rd garage? It doesn't seem to make a difference to me as to what you see. Is this driven more by a need to have a third garage and not the curb appeal part. I mean you see a 2 car garage now and with a 3rd you'd see a 3 car garage.

Do you use the deck? If not maybe consider removing it and adding windows to that part of the house. The lack of windows does add to the prison feel. Another thing you could do if you do like to sit out on the deck is to make it more of a balcony that isn't as deep and stretches across (without any stairs down) and add more doors to get out to it or at least add more windows.

Then add some landscaping to draw the attention to the stairs that are leading from the driveway to get to the front door.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If you want to keep the deck do metal and glass railings for sure. I would get rid of the tree it appears to be in a bit of trouble . garage doors with some glass are less heavy looking IMO a new entry where the bay is would be for starters entering into what I assume is the LR which is never ideal. I would like to see the house from further back to show it all including the driveway. I like walkways from the street to the front door but in this case might be too many steps to climb maybe something like this would help so it is not just a long flight of steps then landscaping will be the big issue and also the best way to improve curb appeal

• Kelly C
    3 years ago

Everything teeda says plus lighting under decking all the way to front door.

The cable railing without the steps will instantly help the curb appeal and which direction to go!

Also same type of landscaping from street to door will help with the flow as apple pie mentioned!

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

From driveway to front door:

Remove garage deck and stairs. Add windows for harmonious appearance.

• User
    3 years ago

Add planting, a lot of it. On the porch and in the yard. If someone can't figure out where your front door is you don't want to see them anyway.

• partim
    3 years ago

Paint the deck fence uprights the same colour as the house wall. Add a variety of evergreen landscaping shrubs and ground covers) along the stairs and walkway. Replace the tree with an evergreen.

• User
    3 years ago

I would not tack on some kind of modern glass and metal nor cable rails. This house is from the 1970s. Lean into that and don't try to make it something its not.

Unless you use the deck a lot, I would remove it altogether and put a nice picture window in instead of the doors. If you use it, make it into a balcony with some nice bistro seating. Remove the stairs, put in some simple french doors, replace the rails with a simple metal design that is period appropriate and will blend with the rest of the house. Get some simple planter boxes and fill them with some nice annuals. I am seeing some red or warm colors.

I also like the idea of a breezeway, pergola or some kind of covered walkway. Check out some of the MCM mass built houses in Palm Springs for inspiration. There are a lot of covered entrances to keep the hot desert sun off your head on the way into the house.

Agree that the yard needs some landscaping help. Agree with some sculpted evergreens,

Houses will tell you what they want to be. This is a loud, proud split level. Don't make the mistake that so many do and try to make the house conform to some trend or modern ideal. Let the vernacular of the house speak and enhance it with appropriate updates or restorations. I actually kind of like the quirky nature of this house.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

It would be easier to comment and make suggestion if you posted pics taken from the driveway so we could see the effect of the deck and garage doors.

• partim
    3 years ago

Your original post says you want to add a third garage? To the left facing the front? Not a good look really. Maybe a shed at the rear of the property would do the job you need?

How about painting it all white in a Norwegian chalet style? I like the upper balcony and I think it is a selling feature of the house. I would remove the steps down from it and just make it accessible from upstairs, for both privacy and appearance. The white will look great with your stone, or you could whitewash or gray wash the stone if you like that look.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I would remove the steps to the deck. Change the railing to something more decorative in white.

I think the siding could be painted in a color that blends with the stone, a pale warm green. I would paint the trim, belly board, and the area under the bay in white. I would paint the front door eggplant.

I would get more updated and larger light fixtures and new garage doors with windows. Then you can focus on the landscaping and remove the tree by the steps.

Cape Cod Shingle Style · More Info

Hillgrove · More Info

A pergola would add charm. I like these garage doors.

Hillgrove · More Info

• A Fox
    3 years ago

Before you make extensive changes to the actual house, I would start with the front path. The concrete winder stairs look treacherous, especially in the rain and snow and the concrete walk is too close to the house to be able to see or appreciate anything. I would replace both with a gentler stair that starts our perpendicular to the driveway heading further into the yard, at least as far as the stones around that tree, if not further, then make a gentle S curve back to the door at the corner. Surrounds both sides of the stair with lush but generally low lying landscaping so the path of travel to the door remains visually apparent.

Whether or not the deck goes depends on whether you plan to use it for anything. If not, keep in mind that the windowless wall above the garages will become even more prominent without the deck and railing. You may find that you want to add windows there or some other feature to break it up. If the deck stays, it will now be further from the main path to the entrance. using a different path material, such as individual spaced apart flagstones will make it apparent that this is not the primary entrance to the house, and to keep going toward the front door.

• partim
    3 years ago

We don't know what your budget is. I would start with the least expensive and see how you like the results.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Along with A Fox's suggestion, you might add a guest parking pad to the right, so that visitors can see the door.

A benefit of moving the path to the right as A Fox suggests is that no one will bump their head on the bumpout.

• curlycurly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I really appreciate the excellent suggestions. I like the idea of removing the deck stairs and painting everything white. Thanks so much. I will try and post photo from the street. I’m also thinking about moving the front door over to the right, to where the bay window is. Maybe doing a 4’ foot with a post and beam portico and walkway leading straight to it. I think it will look much more inviting. Thanks so much.

• curlycurly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And I’m definitely going ahead with the parking pad to the right idea. What great suggestions!