Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_885020204

Please help, drowning in paint samples! Anything similar to Pale Oak?

TJ K
3 years ago

Is there anything similar to Pale Oak with less pink/peach?? I love Pale Oak, in the right setting. Hubby likes it too. It is actually his favourite so far for rapainting our open layout home which is currently Coventry Gray. We have Pale Oak in our master and it is beautiful, doesn't read pink, just soft. But on the main floor in our living room it reads very pink/peachy on the main wall, both in natural light and artificial light. A lot of paint colours read purple/pink on that wall (northeast facing). We have sampled close to 20 paints. Is there anything like pale oak without so much pink? Please help!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

List all the colors with names/numbers so we know what you've tried.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

If you place Pale Oak next to Coventry Gray, the blue in the gray will always make Pale Oak look more 'peachy'. Pale Oak is a great neutral. You might also consider November Rain.

• TJ K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. I will look into November rain.

We are trying to brighten/lighten up our home. Between Coventry on he walls and dark hardwood floors, dark wood cabinets, and black granite, we are feeling a bit dark and gloomy. Our wood has red undertones.

We have tried the following:

Simply White

Pure White

Alabaster

White Dove

Silver Satin

Classic Grey

Revere pewter

Light pewter

Repose gray

Repose

Gray owl

Agreeable gray

Swiss coffee

Silver drop

Vanilla milkshake

Pale oak

Moonshine

Shoreline

Dove wing

We wanted a white or off white initially, but they didn't seem to fit our space. My walls look like a bad quilt right now haha :/

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You may need to change and/or update your lighting. Do you have under cabinet lighting in kitchen?

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I don’t see BM’s Ballet White on your list.

• TJ K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was just looking up pictures of ballet white. It might be a contender. Thanks!

We want to add under cabinet lighting. The room is north east facing and the pink comes through strongly by the big window too.

• TJ K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the space. The carpet on the stairs in a medium to dark brown with a purple/pink undertone. We will also change the backsplash if needed and get new curtains to match the new paint.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

It‘s a nice place.

Biggest issues are the grey paint + lighting. Good that you are moving away from the grey paint. It is not the lightest, brightest option. It also does not work with your space and finishes. Plus, it is now a dated look, since the grey fad is over.

Are the two flush mounts in LR on a dimmer? If not, they should be. And under cabinet lighting is basic; it will significantly enhance your space. What other lighting do you have in the kitchen? Your pendant lights look good.

You can add a sofa table in back of sofa, to anchor it since it is floating (Feng Shui consideration), and you could add a couple of lamps on sofa table.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

link to 140 lb watercolor paper. Can also be purchased at Michaels or other craft or art supply stores.https://www.amazon.com/Canson-Watercolor-Textured-Charcoal-100510941/dp/B004M59O4C/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=watercolor+paper&qid=1592450712&sr=8-5

• TJ K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you freedom place 1. The living room lights are not on a dimmer but I could add that to hubby's to do list. The kitchen has pot lights as well. I like the idea of the sofa table. We had end tables but put them in the basement because my toddler kept pulling them over.

What colours would you suggest?

• TJ K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jennifer, thank you for the info. I started with these sticky sample boards from benjamin moore and ended up painting the wall beside the fire place and the dining room wall white to test paint on. Haha this is my first time painting besides our master.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Try Benjamin Moore White Sand - OC 10 - It almost always works. No undertones, just a nice soft neutral.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Good article about Pale Oak and pink/purple undertones are mentioned.

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/quick-paint-colour-review-benjamin-moore-pale-oak-oc-20/

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

SW has a color called Softer Tan. You could sample that one, also. BM could mix it, too. I like BM’s Natura line.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

• TJ K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. Any others?

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Edgecomb Gray, another greige.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

And as I mentioned above, Ballet White.

• lopipopi
    3 years ago

It's tricky because your furniture seems to have a green undertone but cabinets/backsplash are warmer. I don't have any specific recommendations, but maybe check out the advice on Maria Killam's site, https://mariakillam.com/ .

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Looking at your list you have danced all around Pale Oak and are not happy.

I understand. I like taupe, had taupe in the past, but it does seem that both the BM and SW Taupe colors have some level of pink glow to them.

My past taupe was through Devine Color - bought out by Valspar and discontinued when Valspar was purchased by SW.

I tried to get a color match and although close, still has a pink glow.

C2, like Devine Color, claims to use higher quality pigments. They both also are full spectrum color paint lines (No black pigments used). I wanted something a bit darker than Pale Oak and went with C2 Filament. C2 Archival was a lighter, still a pale taupe, but doesn't seem to have that pink sheen.

C2 is not available locally in many places, but they do sell online.

I would first try my suggested method of testing one color at a time - this has worked for several other posters who were in your dilemma. If you still are not satisfied try C2.

TJ K thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • TJ K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Jennifer, I used your advice today and I think we may have found our winner from our existing sample pots! I primed the wall by the fireplace and dove wing looked so different from when I just painted a square on the wall. It was warm, but not an orange/yellow like it showed when I painted it on Coventry. And it was soft with some gray, but not too light that it looked like unfinished walls like what happened with alabaster, simply white and pure white. Also, it seems to perfectly pull from our fireplace and area rug. The kitchen doesn't suit it 100% (maybe like 80%) but I think after we change the backsplash, picture on the wall and curtains, it will. Or maybe I am still getting used to the contrast between light and dark with the cabinets.

Freedom, I just might have to get a sample pot of ballet white before I commit 100%, although I read it can have purple/pink undertone too. But it is beautiful.

Anyways, thank you so much!! I really appreciate everyone's input :)

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Yes! Love it when someone finds a color that makes their heart sing!

TJ K thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

How a bout a grayed green like healing Aloe BM it looks awesome with wood in neither beige or gray and is very neutral in fact IMO a lot more neutral that either of those . Your night lighting should not change colors so LEDs all in 4000K mimic daylight and keep colors true not to mention lighting your space much better. BTW you do not sample colors on the wall you get poster board paint 2 coats and move the boards around. to see how the color looks in different rooms.

• Laurie
    3 years ago

Please post a follow up with photos after you paint! I am considering BM Ballet White OC-9 for my walls, and maybe BM White Dove OC-17 for the trim.