Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideasathome

Looking for input on backsplash samples

A T@Home
3 years ago

I have been accumulating and staring at backsplash samples over the quarantine months and I think I am ready to make a decision. Two I am leaning towards are Walker Zanger Fog Gloss and MSI Portico Pearl. I'd love some input. Thanks.

I realize I like both statement granite and statement backsplashes, but I know I can only have one. The granite is installed so it stays. Somewhat busy, African Rainbow. Photos just don't do it justice. Lots of mica and oyster cream don't come through in photos.

I started looking for white tiles, but after several samples I realized how hard it was to match the white of the cabinets. And then my husband said he would prefer a slight contrast with the cabinets. So I went to light greys but they seemed too cold or just not the right color. That led me to slightly darker, warm taupey-greys. These seem to work best with the overall tone of the counter. I realize an even darker grey would work well with the counters, but I just never envisioned a dark backsplash in any of my inspiration pictures. I'd like something warm, light-ish, with some contrast to the cabinets. Handmade-looking with slight color variation from tile to tile, but with mostly straight edges and fairly uniform thickness (not Zellige or anything too irregular). Crackle is nice but not a must.

Stainless steel chimney hood to be installed. Adjoining family room will have grey, camel, possibly blue. Paint throughout house will be a light greige.

Comments (58)

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Pipe Smoke and Portico Pearl are different. Pipe Smoke is darker in color and the crackle line is darker.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is a photo of the tiles under the section of counter that has our under cabinet lighting installed. It's not installed on the main wall yet.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@eam44...I have dozens of samples of Fireclay (Tusk, White Wash, French Linen, Gypsum, Oyster Shell, Overcast, Mist, Merino, Halite, etc) but, of course, no Milky Way.

• eam44
    3 years ago

My advice is that you are having trouble choosing because the colors are not quite right. Keep ordering samples and veer more towards the taupe than the gray.

A T@Home thanked eam44
  • A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We are not considering the chevron shape (too busy). It is there more so to get a larger sample of that color (Portico Pearl).

• ulisdone
    3 years ago

Well I would stay more in a cream lane for the backsplash. A taupe of pink or grey (which you have selected ) does not go with your wood floor as well as a neutral off white will.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Some additional samples/photos with tiles pulled forward....

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• eam44
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sonoma Tilemakers Cloud Dancer is close - it’s a little yellower than Fireclay Tile’s Milky Way, but you can see it IRL. How does it look to you?

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I liked Cloud Dancer very early on. Almost ordered it once but got cold feet. Sometimes it looked a little pink or fleshy, but honestly (and I don’t know if it has to do with a backyard full of green trees these days), but sometimes the counter does too. I wouldn’t say either are PINK but lighting at certain times of the day can really change how things look.

• eam44
    3 years ago

I totally see that - I guess that’s why they call it rainbow!

I know this sounds ridiculous, but consider making color photocopies of cloud dancer and taping them on the wall. It might help to see more than one tile in place.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I grabbed a creamy tile from Home Depot for color. Not able to make an appt at the tile shops this week. This one is MSI Highland Antique White. For color reference only. Not interested in the arabesque shape. This comes in a 3x6 and 4x12 subway as well.

Maybe this color closer to what I need? I didn't envision using cream. And I dont want it to go too yellow. But this shade might work...

I also ordered some more creamy tile samples from Fireclay yesterday.

• lmp1959
    3 years ago

LOVE the Cloe white- seems to blend so well with your countertop.

• eam44
    3 years ago

Again, your instincts are right on. That cream is a better color than the other glazes you are looking at. It does not look too yellow from here.

A T@Home thanked eam44
  • A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I can see the cream, but it is throwing me a little. I guess I had envisioned a greige wall paint throughout and I'm not sure how all this works now. I know paint comes last but I already have warm grey sofas in the adjoining family room so are in the back of my mind. I suppose greys and creams can work...And the granite is what it is. Need to work with it first and then figure out how to blend the rest.

I really need to find a interior designer to help me pull this all together (enter: comment with the most likes from the hive ;-)

• salonva
    3 years ago

I will be going through the same motions in a bit- and I have to say the antique white and or the cloud white look good to me ( on my monitor).

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

With sofa pillow....I can pull this all together in the adjoining room with paint, rugs, ottoman, accent chairs (all still to be purchased), right? The grey is kinda another neutral?

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

A couple people liked the Cloe tile. I happen to love this tile too, but I'm not sure with the cabinets. I like the cream and grey in it but the white is not the same as the cabinets so I wonder if it reads as a miss? Is the multicolor natural of the tile too busy with the granite?

With undercabinet lights on:

• eam44
    3 years ago

I think that all looks good together - and the stone does have gray in it. It’s just that the overall gestalt is the greige-to-cream background, so that might be the way to go for the bs. It will still allow you to use greige paint, just maybe slightly more beige than you were thinking? But nail the bs first, go for paint second.

• cawaps
    3 years ago

I like the Portico Pearl, Pipe Smoke, and Fog (to the left of the cooktop in your original pics) better than any of the tiles on the right. I thought it could be the lighting, but I like them better pretty consistently through all the different photos.

Of the Portico Pearl, Pipe Smoke, and Fog, I like the Portico Pearl best in most of the photos (though not all, as it seem to pull more pink than the Pipe Smoke in some of the shots).

• eam44
    3 years ago

I love the Cloé tile, but not in this space in that glaze.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The cream wasn’t a great match in the morning light (lack of light). Cloud Dancer seemed better.

My counters are a chameleon...except they don’t change to match their surrounding tile samples!

Worried about picking something that looks great...half the day.

• eam44
    3 years ago

Well light and color, there is no one without the other. Add in the fact that your tile will be vertical and often in shadow while your counter is horizontal so it will catch the light differently, and the real fun begins. And you thought matching the whites would be difficult! In the end it will probably be Cloud Dancer, or Milky Way if you ordered it. Either will be better than Portico Pearl or Pipe Smoke, so it really is worth the effort. Hang in there!

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I did order the Milky Way and some others. Holding off on a decision until I get them.

Didn’t fireclay used to offer a more rustic glass tile than they currently offer? The Dove glass sample I have seems like a good color match but I don’t want the modern glass tile shape.

• salonva
    3 years ago

Still liking the cloud dancer. It's not a perfect match but with the variance in the tiles and the different plane, I think it works nicely. I don't recall if you mentioned what color grout you were planning on? ( I know another decision!!!)

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No idea on grout yet but I think something lighter than the tile. Definitely not darker than the tile.

• chocolatebunny123
    3 years ago

I'm getting the names of the tiles mixed up, but I like the color of the arabesque one that you show with your pillow.

We painted our kitchen and family room SW Anew Grey last fall. It is a great greige that can lean more grey in the evening. We love it!

• eam44
    3 years ago

Fireclay Tile stopped making glass for a while when their machinery broke. They started up again with new machines and I like the glass less. One of my favorite recommendations of the old tile was Fireclay‘s Hydrangea glass tile in a mix of matte and glossy to go with a macaubas quartzite counter in enzaenza’s kitchen. It was something else. I’m not as inspired by their current offerings.

Then:

Now:

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes! Beautiful glass tile (then). Nice now, but not my style.

• christine rivellini
    3 years ago

I love the portico pearl! we are in the process of building a new home-walls will be agreeable gray and anew gray--from your photos-i think the portico pearl looks best with your floor! The lighter tiles in the latest photos lead me to believe you were looking to match white cabinets and failed-lol also-the 4x12 subways are a beautiful look and will make your kitchen look bigger! if you do the backsplash in the cloe white-there are SEVERAL variations of color which may appear very busy with your beautiful granite.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I received some Fireclay samples and unfortunately the Milky Way is too peach. Feldspar is somewhat close but a little yellow IRL. Ivory might work, but...eh. Not super excited by it.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

More samples coming from Tile Bar. Maybe something will work there.

I also found this kitchen which used a blend of Fireclay Halite (matte, light grey) and Tusk (gloss ivory/cream). I have thought Halite to be a good match to the undertone in the counter, so maybe something like this?

https://www.fireclaytile.com/blog/full/project-spotlight-jaydes-market

(Sorry, I can't get the photos to upload, hence the link)

Can't take a pic of my Halite and Tusk tile samples right now bc DH took them to work to try to get some color photocopies.

• eam44
    3 years ago

Feldspar and Ivory (ivory is the right color, though) are matte tiles, and while they are pretty, they clearly aren’t making your pulse race. From here Sand Dune looks amazing. It has high variability and lots of crazing, so it could be a great look, but you might want to order five of those before committing.

You don’t sound enthused. How would you feel about a tile like Ivory, but with a gloss finish?

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago
  • A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Forgive me if this ends up being a duplicate post. I thought I posted this, but it disappeared.

I think I like this new sample. Jeffery Court Riverwash.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

More pictures to follow.

I like that it coordinates with the counters but it is not trying to match the lightest overall color. I think that has been the part where I feel I keep coming up short. Sometimes the background color is light grey, sometimes it is cream. Riverwash seems to pick up on some of the darker colors without being too dark. It has a lighter cream color on the edges that goes with the counters as well. Level 4 variation in color, which I like. Hopefully wouldn't be too busy.

It might lean a little green, but when i put it next to green tiles, it is more of a greige or taupe.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• eam44
    3 years ago

I like it too - better in natural light though. What temperature are your ucl? It might be a winner, but you also might want to change the bulbs.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes! We were just messing with our lights. We only have under cabinets lights installed in that one section of the kitchen bc we were trying them out. That section is 3000. My husband read that's what you should use for under cabinet lights? I find them a bit yellow so we are considering going brighter. We recently changed our adjustable recessed lights from 3500 to 4000 and we are living with that for a bit before we commit on the under cabinet lights. I have to imagine we want at least 3500? 4000 seems to be the max I like on the recessed. Any brighter is too white for my taste.

With 4000 recessed lights on:

(Tile color is close to BM Revere Pewter...Maybe a hint more blue/green)

• eam44
    3 years ago

Looks much better. 4K - 4.5K is what is often recommended for kitchen lighting.

So, how do you feel? Is this your tile?

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I feel like I am saying Yes to the Dress, but Yes, this is my tile! lol Thank you for all your help in getting me here! Hopefully you aren't like my husband and just telling me you like it so that we can be done lol.

The next question is how do I handle the two ends? I have one to the right of the rangetop and one on the little counter that currently has the under cabinet lights. I think my options are a 3x12 long bullnose, a schluter edge, or the Territory Dome trim.

I was hoping for a 3x9 tile, but they only have 3x6, 3x12, 4x4, and an elongated hex. Of all of those, I would choose the 3x6. They don't carry a 3x3 or 3x6 short end single bullnose so that I could end the tile in the same direction. I could turn a 3x12 bullnose and run it vertical but that looks a little "bathroom shower" to me. I could do a schluter edge in white or cream. In other tile lines, they have a small linear piece to use on the end, but the Territory Dome and the Continent Dome seem to be intend more for accent areas not ends? The Territory Dome is about twice the thickness of the tile (20 mm vs 10 mm). Perhaps it could work? The Continent Dome is slightly thicker, wider, and a little more detailed/ornate so I don't think that would work.

Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks!

After this is grout...I'm thinking white or a cream.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Re: the lighting...We are going to try some 4000k ucls and see what we think.

• eam44
    3 years ago

Who doesn’t carry a short edge bullnose? That’s irritating.

I do sincerely like the tile, and I appreciate people who are willing to search for the right tile. I think you’ve got it.

I would Schluter those edges. You have such crisp, clean lines in your cabinetry, I think it makes sense to have crisp clean tile edges.

I can’t wait to see it completed. I hope you will be happy with it.

• salonva
    3 years ago

I think you found your tile! Beautiful countertop too!

• nataliepearson10
    2 years ago

Hi there! I realize your post is from last year, but I am in literally the exact boat now with cabinets and granite almost identical to yours, and would just love to see how your bs turned out!