Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barmaleyka

"TOMATO SECRET" by Dr. Jims

barmaleyka
3 years ago

Hello,

Does somebody have experience with Tomato Secret fertilizer by Dr. Jims company? They claim phenomenal production of tomatoes fed by their product, however a reviewer at Amazon suggested that it make more leaves than fruits? Any first hand observations?

Comments (7)

• barmaleyka
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Kevin,

It is great that we have a guy with so much knowledge here! Can I assume that Jimz stuff is completely useless in Al's 511 mix since there is no organic matter?

• Just a side question: since I am first year balcony farmer (LOL) I am trying to experiment. I found that fish head works (I got two pair of identical plants in each pair and fish head buried under the plants make them grow better. But Sunrise bumblebee in the pot where I added a lot of black Kow manure to mushroom soil 40% to 60% does not grow well (which was way contrary to my expectations). It actually grows less than the one which was planted in a mix of potting soil, muchroom soil and garden soil at 25/50/25%. How can I salvage my overmanured pot? Will simple fertilization help?
  • kevin9408
    3 years ago

I don't know what al's 511 mix or mushroom soil is, but can't comment much on potted plants because too much can go wrong. You'll have to figure it out.

• Lars Knutsen
    3 years ago

Yes, Tomato Secret works great. Check out these photos!!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

"Can I assume that Jimz stuff is completely useless in Al's 511 mix since there is no organic matter?"

Not entirely useless in a container situation but also not very efficient. Populations of soil organisms in container soil (actually a 'soil-less' mix) are low to begin with and can fluctuate widely depending on conditions. And since the conversion of organic ferts into a plant usable form takes time, most of the applied material will be flushed or leached out with watering long before that conversion - assuming sufficient microbial populations to achieve a conversion to begin with - can take place.

• MzTeaze
    3 years ago

I bought Tomato Secret but haven't tried it yet. Unfortunately I haven't found any other reviews of the product outside of those on the website.

• nnp
    2 years ago

For what its worth, I didn't see any noticeable improvements compared to rabbit manure combined with worm castings. In fact, the tomato secret performed worse, and it is way more expensive. It seemed to work well as a mid-season boost to the indeterminate tomatoes though; I lightly tilled in one cup of tomato secret into the soil. I tried to write my experience with their product on their website, but my review was promptly taken down because it wasn't all praises and I only gave them four stars, so I guess they are only posting the reviews that praise their products. Do not believe all the hype.