Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_ashman74

self leveling concrete - what went wrong

Mike A
3 years ago

Had asbestos tiles removed from a sunroom, I paid a professional to do that. Then decided to lay down some SLC on top of the concrete that had been underneath. It's about 150 sq ft area. I followed the instructions which said do not put more than 5qt of water per 50lb bag and we put 5qt exactly. Took us about 6 bags. What I found is that it was laying pretty thick so I used a trowel to thin it out a bit and also to feather in between pours. But as it's drying I have all of these ridges, it's not a perfect surface like I see on all of the SLC videos I've watched. I'm not too stressed about it because I'm not laying down tile or anything. I'll probably pick up a grinder and grind down any ridges that are too high and I'm just going to lay some wall to wall outdoor carpet down. BUT, I'm curious as to where I went wrong. I plan on tiling my kitchen within the next year or so and would probably start with SLC (floors are on a concrete slab), so I'd like to get it right next time. Any tips from those more experienced would be appreciated. Thx

Comments (8)