Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosebay_gw

Suggestions on this worn-out and narrow backyard?

rosebay
3 years ago

Hello,

I bought this house a couple of years ago, and just have no idea on what to do with the back yard. It's narrow and long. The only thing I like are the trees - a beautiful dogwood (that needs some serious help due to dead limbs, etc.) a couple of Japanese maples and then a couple of willow-type trees.

Any suggestions? One of my thoughts - remove the concrete and replace with flagstone in a fluid (ie, not another rectangle, thinking more kidney-shaped edge) pattern.

I would also add French doors (replacing a large picture window).

Thank you in advance for any/ all advice!

Comments (25)

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I don’t think the concrete is an issue. You could just add around the concrete.

Some lighting also.

rosebay thanked freedomplace1
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I wouldn't mess with the concrete either. It looks to be in good condition and you would need to deal with the overhang as well....an expensive proposition!

It appears to be a pretty shady area so I would play up that attribute....hydrangeas, hostas, ferns or whatever other shade-loving plants you might like that work in your climate.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

It’s not inviting because it’s not done. You need furniture and more plants. A combination of perennials and pops of seasonal colour too. I would get some seating on the concrete and make it a place you want to end up. You could do a fire pit somewhere out on the yard with Adirondack chairs and it could be quite lovely. Hang some lights and enjoy!

• User
    3 years ago

We also have a very small, narrow space right off our patio (zero lot line property, so not much room to garden at all), and I wasn't sure what to do with it at first, but finally decided I wanted something like a little "secret garden" in that space. I've worked for the last two seasons to get that up and going, and it's coming along quite nicely. You've got a lot of shade, which lends the space well to a cool, forested enclosure sort of feel. I think you just need to start planting things that you love. Add some seating, perhaps a small fountain, a bird bath and bird feeder, and start enjoying. It's hard work, but so worth it.

We did have a mason lay down brick (matching our house) on top of the concrete patio slab. That did improve the look greatly, but you could always just add an outdoor rug to the space, and that would work too.

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

Clear everything off the concrete patio and power wash it. Then, assess what you would need to make it inviting. First, a rug. Then, perhaps, an outdoor seating area with chairs and a coffee table? A dining table and chairs? (I see your grille.). You need to figure out how you want to use it. In the corner of your yard, I see another seating area. What is going on over there? Could that be a “destination” patio around a fire pit? You need to rake up the yard, trim up your trees and shrubs...and then plan out some beds where shade plants can grow. Yes to a “secret garden” as recommended by IdaClaire. You needn’t spend a lot of money here. Just figure out how you want to use the space...and DO IT!

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

I think I would convert that patio to a 3-season sitting room/dining area, pushing the grill to the outside and creating beautiful garden wall/flower bed to be seen from the sitting room. By enclosing the space, you can put in better lighting. Some thoughts:

Interior of Three Season Porch · More Info

Three Seasons Room · More Info

Backyard remake - Digital Design - Norcross · More Info

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

I would consider removal of the concrete and replacing it with flagstone to be devaluing the home. The main problem of the yard is that the mulch or dirt is not attractive. You basically need the outdoor version of carpeting ... some kind of low groundcover. Then, along the perimeter, add some flowering perennials and/or shrubs that provide interest without overwhelming the space. I'd remove/relocate the bush near the slab in order to keep the patio/porch from seeming confined. Remove the low limbs of any trees that you cannot walk under without hitting your head or ducking. The yard should not seem like a stalactite-filled cave.

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

how about blue carpet juniper

rosebay thanked HOWARD Martin
  • rosebay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! The concrete pad is only 10' deep. I did, at one time, have a table/chairs but you couldn't walk around the table/chairs to move to the other parts of the concrete. What would you think if I extended the concrete - there is a gap between the largest section of concrete and the small 10 x 10 pad at the end of the house. What if I added concrete there, but made it 15' deep instead? That would give enough space for a patio table and chairs and not be crowded. Should the large bushes on the perimeter of the yard stay?

I really like hydrangeas, hostas and ferns - and of course, camellias do really well in this climate.

The bark is there because otherwise, it's just mud and mostly dead grass, except for a few patches here and there.

I also like the idea of the brick over the concrete.

I think the idea for cleaning everything up first is an excellent one - I guess I'm just overwhelmed with this and needed some of that basic advice! But, I think I will expand that to also cleaning up the plants I just don't like - removing everything to get to the bare bones of the yard and patio. Then, I can just start adding one piece at a time.

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

With a dog, do not try for perfect lawns and do keep the trees and shrubs that are already doing well. With a young child, you need activity areas. Try sketching (or walking) a new concrete path that circles around the yard from the patio- as if you were pushing that dump truck or roller skating along the path. If you want privacy from the neighbor's window that overlooks your yard, consider planting a hedge along your fenceline. Replacing the empty hanging baskets with a couple strands of decorative solar lights that require zero maintenance would change the overall look.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

What if that area is for seating more like a sofa and chairs or sectional. Then the other area, beyond the photo, is for the eating area?

This is our covered deck. It’s obviously longer than your space but it’s functional and very cozy. The sectional is our secondary seating spot so we also have a sofa and chairs in another area.

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

Look into mounting pads for air conditioner units. Large light weight concrete pads, 30-36” square. You would have to put down a good base for them to rest on...decomposed granite or crushed rock, but that might be a way of extending your patio area beyond the poured concrete. Just a suggestion.

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

trim up the the tree branches in your in your way or remove the branches

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    3 years ago

"how about blue carpet juniper"

Junipers require full sun. Not a good suggestion.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

First clean and clear. Once you get your bushes and trees trimmed and in order you might find you have let some light in. It's presently dark and damp looking. Those together are not inviting. I see branches in the upper left of the first picture, no leaves. Is the tree more dead than alive? You have no green space..is that by choice or due to the dog or the shade? You need light. You need a space for the dog and it appears play--if the dump truck belongs to a child. Perhaps we need to see your entire property before we assume. Some people have large side and front yards when the back is smaller. Are you low maintenance where yard work is concerned? I would suggest adding variegated plants to brighten up the place. Hosta would give you both low maintenance and some brightness. We don't see this window you mention. Before you build a door you need to build a space people want to go into. Do I see a fire-pit to the far left in picture number two? Your concrete is pristine. That is not where one begins..taking out what works. If not for the dog and child one might even expand it out....

rosebay thanked arcy_gw
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

"The bark is there because otherwise, it's just mud and mostly dead grass, except for a few patches here and there." There are all kinds of groundcovers of varying heights that tolerate all manner of conditions. If you find the right one for your situation, you can end the look of stale bark and/or mud. Most grass doesn't grow well in the shade, so you have to find the groundcover that can do its job. Finding it will depend partially on where you live (not sure if you've said) as all don't grow everywhere.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    3 years ago

some ideas:

• rosebay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, this is a humbling experience, for sure. I took some more pics to answer some of the questions about placement of windows, the concrete pad at the end of the yard, etc. And, boy - my yard is a mess! It's so obvious I spend no time on it at all. So - I've scheduled the tree trimming. Scheduled removal of many of the bushes in one of the corners of the yard (included in new pics).

The concrete isn't as pristine as it may appear in the photos. As I've illustrated in the drawing, the 32' length of concrete is actually 4 8' sections, separated by 2" piece of wood. Each section of concrete is at a different level - up to 1" difference. One concrete pad has a crack down the middle.

I've included an illustration of the idea to extend the concrete (which I liked) - getting a quote for that next week.

As to questions about lifestyle - I'm a grandma living in Sacramento, CA. So, the shade is much appreciated in the summer, but doesn't need to be this dense. The grandkids don't spend any time outside on their rare visits, but now that I'm looking at photos, I really can't blame them.

Sacramento CA is perfect place for hydrangeas and camellias - both plants that i enjoy. Hostas, I'm not sure - it may not get cold enough in the winter for hostas. But, I sure would enjoy hostas if I can find some suitable for this climate.

So - here are some more photos and an illustration. The yellow brick patio represents an idea, based on earlier suggestion. Left to right, two willow-sort of trees, a dogwood, a small japanese maple and a larger japanese maple.

To try and deal with the concrete - what if I removed the wood filler, inserted pebbles or moss of some sort and then surrounded the concrete a 2-3" border of same material? Would that help to make the transition from concrete to patio more cohesive?

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

need to trim some trees and plant some grassseed

rosebay thanked HOWARD Martin
  • ptreckel
    3 years ago

Baby steps, my dear. You have lots of creative minds here to help you. One step at a time! You have a promising space to work with. Clean up first. And then we shall see....

rosebay thanked ptreckel
  • tcufrog
    3 years ago

The first question I ask myself before doing any design work is" What do I wish to use the space for?" The second question I ask is "How much time and energy do I wish to spend on maintaining the space?" Third: "What's my budget?" All of the info would be helpful.

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

I agree it has to be cleaned up first

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

Chiming in with the same message ... clean up ... so we can see what's there.

Typically, removal of lower branches/foliage from small trees is not something that anyone needs to hire out special. It's an ongoing maintenance task that anyone can do ... even grand-kids can help if they're over 8 or 9 years old and get some instructions of how to avoid being cut. Simple hand tools: loppers, hand pruners and 10* folding pruning saw and some gloves are all the tools that are necessary. An immediate goal would be to limb up trees equal to the height of your eaves. In some cases, or maybe later, you may want to go higher. Just like in a building, a higher ceiling is going to seem better than a lower one. If you consider the extremes: mobile home vs. cathedral, you'll get an idea of the difference.

If we all think the concrete is nice, but in real life, it isn't, it's your job, as holder-of-the-camera, to show how it really is. If we can't see flaws, we can't address them.

Since it looks like you intend to remake the hardscape, you'll be doing this before any planting. It would be easier for yourself and everyone to keep planting off of the hardscape plan so that it's clear and easier to read. For existing trees, show only their trunks, as much to scale as possible, as that way we can still see where they are and that they must be considered. I would also avoid adding textures, shading and hatching as the plan is easier to read (and possibly change) if just outlines of the spaces. (Furniture is OK, though, as it explains the purpose of the areas.)

In the concept plan above, it looks like there may be an awkward indentation in the upper portion of the patio edge, but we can't see it because it is covered with plant-symbol foliage. This indentation seems strange and would probably be better off removed ... unless there is some reason that it must occur, but we can't see it.

• HOWARD Martin
    3 years ago

that will give more light for grass growth and other plants as well