bearco

Need help with furniture and decor in our new home

Colleen Bear

We are building a new home in a lakefront community in North Georgia. We are currently shopping for great room furniture and would love help with best pieces for floor plan. I have been told my style is transitional, casually elegant, clean, fresh and serene. My favorite interior design colors are neutral’s with green and blue and natural elements I would love to be able to use much of my current furniture and Decor but add in new pieces as needed. Initially, I was hoping to have two couches facing each other perpendicular to the fireplace and two comfortable club chairs side-by-side directly in front of fireplace/TV with Ottomans. After measuring, I do not think two couches will work. We have sliders out to a screened porch and pool area so probably best to keep lighter/airier and lower chairs there to maximize floor space and view. Open to ideas!

We expect to close in mid to late September so I have already picked most of my finishes. I will post pictures of home layout and tile, cabinetry, fixtures, etc. Thanks in advance for all of your insight and advice!

Comments (2.5K)

• Colleen Bear

Trying to figure out what to do for furniture on our front porch. (White chairs are temporary!) Been thinking about getting a porch swing on the left side and two club chairs with table on the right. Would love to hear your ideas about style, color, placement, etc.

Design Interior South

I just randomly got an email telling linking me back to this post LOL! Glad to see you're still at it Colleen! Porch .....do you sit out there a lot? What is the smaller window to left of door? I see two so I am think office? I assume the three on right are formal dining room? I would start by placing a lovely planter box or pot between the window on left and door with greenery and flowers in it to the scale of that area.

Depending on how you use the space a couple rockers with a round table in front of the triple windows and a lovely porch swing loaded with cushion and pillows on the left facing in would be charming.

Hi, my name is Donna, Bryan my hubby and I close December 28 on Our New Home! HELP with my decorating Please?

a phrase to define us: I'm ALL Country he is Alot rock and roll..lets say maybe a scific freak zoid..lol..loves anything with skeletons..yet he loves rustic, country, and then he likes something i like , very odd huh..he loves the zebra print put style chairs we looked at this weekend, we want to pub table and chairs..we have tons of collectables like old hand mixers,tins,old iron banks,he has a toy collection,all i can say is 'SKELETONS' eww..

Need help decorating and arranging furniture in Great Room in new home

Lovely! I would have a dining area beside the island and for the living room I would add sofas as well as living chairs.

Need help with furniture layout and decorating in our 1960s ranch reno

If you would consider another oriental rug, you may want to check my website : www.DomiRugs.com

Need Furniture Help For Our New Home

These days we are not using matching end tables and coffee tables, and in many cases, we are using no end tables at all, depending instead on a good sized coffee table, plus floor lamps. Since you have a sofa with a chaise and a sofa without a chaise, I'm not sure how you're arranging them. Regarding your dining room table, I don't understand your interest in a table as narrow as 30". That barely leaves space for two place settings facing each other, leaving almost no space for serving dishes on the table. I like the 72 x 39" Emmerson dining table from West Elm at $999. It's made of reclaimed pine and has metal legs.
  • btydrvn

Most people don’t use porches that are so exposed to neighbors and the street ... and furniture in front of the windows has its drawbacks as well... if there are reasons that sitting there important ... I would attempt to create a little privacy with landscaping and arrange furniture so it doesn’t obstruct or potentially cause damage to the windows,

• Julie Zygmontowicz

I would just add a bench a couple cute pillows on the right with potted flowers flanking the door....see what you think it needs from there..Colleen the front of your home is really pretty!

• Theresa Janssen

I'm with design interior south... love the idea of a swing on one end and a couple rockers on the other, add some cute pillows and flower pot... absolutely welcoming.

Sunnyside - Traditional Farmhouse · More Info

• Julie Zygmontowicz

I do love rockers but they really do not do well on uneven surfaces like your stone porch🤷🏼‍♀️

• Colleen Bear

Thanks for chiming back in. My initial thoughts are porch swing to the left of the front door and two club chairs with a small table to the right. We do like to sit out front - but usually only once a day with the dogs (& coffee 😁). I love rockers too but I think I want a different look and Julie‘s right about the flag stone. Too bumpy. I feel like everybody has Adirondack chairs so I’m thinking more like club chairs. Just not sure about wicker versus metal… And what color? Do you like these? Anyone familiar with acacia wood?

• Colleen Bear

By the way… I’ve been dreaming of having a front porch swing for ages. I had a porch swing at my old house but it was in the back off the basement and so I rarely used it. I could kill myself for not bringing it with me. A fresh coat of paint and I would’ve been Golden

Design Interior South

"Most people don’t use porches that are so exposed to neighbors and the street"

This statement made me laugh. I suspect you're not from the south. Not only do we hang out on our porches we display our crazy family members out there as well!

Colleen I do like the style of those chairs but wonder about the scale of them. How do they measure up in the space? Go for the swing! You only live once!

• Julie Zygmontowicz

Hi Colleen love the chairs..do they have a matching loveseat? Can you post the size of the space you have on the porch?

• Julie Zygmontowicz

Love both of these outdoor sets from World Market...pillow is too! Pots from West Elm

• WestCoast Hopeful

I love a cozy spot to sit out front. Sun hits the house at different points than backyard and good to change up view and options. Our kids love playing out front in the evening sun and I enjoy a relax with a glass of wine. We have Adirondack chairs

• Colleen Bear

New question: We want to recover the chairs in our dining room. Would love to hear some ideas in terms of fabric options/colors. Thinking a blue grey to tie in with great room furniture. Maybe a subtle pattern? Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Julie Zygmontowicz

I always like a neutral chair fabric...so I would look for a nice tweed or nubby neutral or just a linen...add color with your linens you can change them up but you are stuck with the color you decide to put on the chairs.

• Colleen Bear

Julie - if you’re up for it, would love to see what you would choose for my table and chairs. Assume That the China closet and Table are staying that color for the foreseeable future. Can’t swing refinishing $$$ at this point so the new fabric is to tide me over

• Julie Zygmontowicz

Here are a few...I can post info if you like any of them. Hope all is well!
    You know I never give up! 😉🤣🤣🤣Was so hoping that cabinet was moved into kitchen just to see how it looks....even not painted I think it would still look great until it can be painted...

• Julie Zygmontowicz

Here you go!

• Colleen Bear

Cool collage 😀

• Colleen Bear

I will collect a few sample over the next week or two and post for feedback.

Design Interior South

Collen consider a French stripe in blue as well. It would fit the stype of your furniture and compliment the wood tones and tie into your home. A good source is Sunbrella as that will also be durable and wipeable for dining chairs.

• Theresa Janssen

I saw this dining room on my Instagram feed and thought of yours. I would also consider all white fabric for your seat chairs. Keep it simple. White would be fresh feeling too. You could remove the runner and just add a white vase with white flowers.

• Colleen Bear

Thanks all! I agree....all blue is too much. I am leaning towards lighter colored fabric - or a lighter pattern with muted blue tones. DIS – the idea of Sunbrella is a really good one! Beautiful picture Theresa! I have a few samples that have caught my eye that I will take a photo of in the daylight hours to share. One is so pretty with cream blue and caramel and would look so gorgeous with the table but I am afraid it’s a little too traditional. I’ll show you and you can weigh in

• Colleen Bear

T-I’ve been thinking a lot about my black chandelier and it’s been really bothering me but the one in the photo above looks great. I noticed that it’s hung at a much higher height than mine and I’m wondering if I should raise mine. I think it wouldn’t compete as much with the China Cabinet. What do you all think? Should I try it?

• Colleen Bear

I hate to muddy the conversation with an unrelated question but in case there’s pool owners reading along, we are starting our research to build a pool. All the beautiful pools that I see on Houzz do not seem to have a railing near the steps. I agree it’s more aesthetically pleasing not to have one But my practical side knows it’s probably smarter to put one in – especially for my older guests. Anybody passionate about pool railings – pro or con?

• Theresa Janssen

Heres an article on chandelier position above a dining table. Generally accepted principle is that the bottom of the chandelier should be 30 to 36in above the top of the table for a ceiling that is 8ft high. A few inches higher for taller height ceilings. I agree the chandelier competes with the cabinet, but not sure raising it is the answer because it seems like it would have to go way too high to not compete. It seems like its the glass in the china cabinet and the see thru chandelier that is the issue.. The experts will I am sure have a good perspective.
    https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-hang-a-dining-room-chandelier-1976284

• Theresa Janssen

Just to show other dining rooms with glass front china cabinet and open chandelier

SW Greenleaf · More Info

Eat in Dining area · More Info

Traditional Custom Home · More Info

• Colleen Bear

Theresa! You are always so helpful – thank you

• WestCoast Hopeful

Just my non designer opinion but your dining set feels like it doesn’t match the light. Have you considered that height isn’t the issue but style is? Both are lovely but they don’t seem to go together

• Colleen Bear

WCH....you are not wrong but not sure I can do anything about it except try to make it work. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Colleen Bear

Secretly – I dream about selling the chandelier on Facebook marketplace and having you guys help me find a new one.

• everdebz

My secret is I haven't been reading, but y'all know that.... ;)

My thought is the gingham is lovely... to deal with metal lighting, remove the wood unit, "sorry." Or spray it a toasty linen color.... antiqued finish...search:

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-302591-Chalked-Spray-Paint/dp/B01J45643S

• everdebz

What about dinner plates on your wall, hung with the 2 framed pieces, interspersed, and making 5 horizontally...

Plate Hanging Tutorial · More Info

dining room · More Info

• everdebz

Merritt Collection Chandelier 6-Light, Weathered Dove Finish, 35"x21.6" · More Info

• everdebz

Carriage Hill Collection 6-Light Pendant, Brushed Bronze · More Info

• everdebz

32 x 16" / hint of faux marble horizontal cross bars. Vintage Gold and Chrome accents. Decorated white gloss hardback shades are lined with burnished gold foil.

$140

Rigsby Collection Five-Light Chandelier · More Info

Flo Mangan

Colleen. You definitely peaking my interest this morning. I know you want this room to be great because it’s the first impression guests get. Assuming you are keeping furniture and I know this oak look doesn’t work with the direction you have taken, I got out my chalk paint and painted away!! In the current market you can’t sell this style furniture so remake it. The style of chairs in my mock up are French but don’t let that bother you. You can paint yours and add white seat covers. You can go in many directions with a chandelier. You might try painting the one you have white too or old gold. Lots of options there. I don’t know what you paid for that light fixture but you might sell it for half what you paid. Maybe someone who is building in your area and is reeling from massive increases in costs for new builds? Aren’t you smart to have built when you did.

Flo Mangan

That China cabinet was painted but you could white wash yours for a look that would fit your styling better. You could experiment with a small spot on the side if your cabinet to see what can be achieved. So easy really.

• Colleen Bear

Flo! And now you’ve peaked my interest! LOL so let’s say that we agree that I should either white wash or paint my dining room table and China cabinet. Can you recommend a brand and shade? White? Off white? Natural stain? I think I like the idea of white wash – not a fan of distressed or chalk paint - I don’t think. I’m worried about screwing it up but I may have a friend who likes to do these kinds of projects.

Design Interior South

To answer your question about the pool railing......who loves them? Their unattractive. However it depends on your areas code. You may be forced to have one due to code restrictions. That said look up custom pool railings. There are some different options.

Flo Mangan

This is good product. I have used it and my only concern is will your oak make it too yellow. I would probably try SW base white paint and thin with water a bit and brush it on. See how it looks and works. I am always fiddling with easy ways and when I use on a piece I have decided must change I figure what the heck!

Flo Mangan

I think the “Birch” color might be whiter. It will bring new life to your dining room. Then a new light fixture and some new chair seat covers or new lighter, chairs could work wonders for you room with minimal cost.

Flo Mangan

Check out Amy Howard paint on line. Several videos and tips. Not sure she has a white enough color though. But you can do this. I am about to do my French antique round table that got damaged when we had the freeze and pipe break in February. I want white so I need to find the perfect white. I have SW base white, so I might start there!

• Colleen Bear

Flo....please share photos of your table project....would love to see!

Flo Mangan

I will Colleen. I have to find my paints though! Still organizing garage. But I am pretty sure I have a quart of SW base paint. I have several projects of this nature ahead! As long as my knees hold out! Lol.

• Theresa Janssen

Just wondering if you ever got art for the half bath or any furniture for your porch?

• Julie Zygmontowicz

Hi Colleen..I have been in Michigan visiting and just returned home last night...I brought my mom home with me and looking forward to a few weeks with her...how did you do on chair fabric? Looks like you may consider painting the hutch! Still think it belongs in the kitchen..painted and turned into a bar...than your beautiful wall trim will be the star in that dining room.

• Julie Zygmontowicz

Just my 2 cents your home it does not have any French country vibe at all...I would keep the dining room more aligned with the more transitional costal look you have...

• dsimber

I've been following since before you moved in. Such a beautiful home. Congratualtions! I likely made a comment or two waaaay back. Taking time today for a quick mention. The mockup of change in finish looked good...but today I scrolled back and saw that I like that your current finish contrasts with your white board and batten wall. I don't recall if there has been discussion of any colors other than white or off-white. Can you imagine a different color that would add contrast if you are going to paint it?

• Colleen Bear

Pondering all the points.....Thanks for the comments. Love that you all are still following along. The pool is our number one financial priority at the moment but I am keeping my eye out still for front porch furniture. If I don’t find something soon, they’ll start displaying all the harvest & Christmas decorations and I’ll have to wait until next year! LOL

• Colleen Bear

I am headed to another fabric store tomorrow to see if I can find something that will work with current dining room chair finish as well as anything I might do in the future. Looking for a way to love the dining room chairs and table now knowing that working full-time and refinishing furniture doesn’t seem to work for me. 🤪🤷🏼‍♀️