Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bearco

Need help with furniture and decor in our new home

Colleen Bear
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are building a new home in a lakefront community in North Georgia. We are currently shopping for great room furniture and would love help with best pieces for floor plan. I have been told my style is transitional, casually elegant, clean, fresh and serene. My favorite interior design colors are neutral’s with green and blue and natural elements I would love to be able to use much of my current furniture and Decor but add in new pieces as needed. Initially, I was hoping to have two couches facing each other perpendicular to the fireplace and two comfortable club chairs side-by-side directly in front of fireplace/TV with Ottomans. After measuring, I do not think two couches will work. We have sliders out to a screened porch and pool area so probably best to keep lighter/airier and lower chairs there to maximize floor space and view. Open to ideas!

We expect to close in mid to late September so I have already picked most of my finishes. I will post pictures of home layout and tile, cabinetry, fixtures, etc. Thanks in advance for all of your insight and advice!

Comments (2.6K)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

After painting my nightstands, and knowing you can’t sell this style furniture, I would paint that China cabinet dark blue in a second!! Then darker but not too dark blue for chair seats. I think a whiter chandelier would be stunning. It doesn’t take long to paint furniture. I could have easily done my nightstands in one day if my knees were in better shape! Take the black detail off. Fill the holes and paint it. You will never regret it but wonder why you waited so long!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I like those drapes DIS posted but I think for your look a neutral with a blue leading edge trim ironed on would work better and look lighter.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I suggest waiting to select/buy chandelier until you have overall game plan. Any bites on selling current one?

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

One offer of $150 but not in a rush. Retail is $679

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If I get $250, I’ll go for it

• kjoy1
    2 years ago

A peak at navy…I ran out of time and steam to do the second head chair…

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you!!!!!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    2 years ago

I took Kjoys and elaborated a bit I think if you do the hutch blue it should be a true soft navy. Then with that being Dark I would drop in a light chandelier in front of it. I would go with a natural rug and yes I knpw thats not a window but just showing you what a printed panel would do for the space. It may be your formal dining room but everything in it isnt formal and your fabrics should reflect that. I would change out the art work to something with blue in it as well.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Of course, I love Van Deusen Blue. Have it in my dining room and powder room. Got these water colors from an artist on Etsy. Love them. I framed them in soft brushed gold frames. I can post source if you are interested. She lives in Vienna, Austria! But she has shipping deal with FedEx and I got them in around 5 business days! Beautiful pieces. She also put the small palm leaf piece in as thank you. Very nice!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 years ago

I just am sad you don’t see your gorgeous paneled walls…still feel strong about just moving it for now to the big kitchen wall..your dining room would look so big! Add rattan chairs change out fabric on chairs and add new chandelier! I think it would be fabulous…

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

FYI….wasn’t planning on window treatments BC I want to feature paneled walls too!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    2 years ago

The drapery panels arent what is going to deplete the board and batten. If your concern is exposing that then you should take the hutch off the buffet and use just the buffet.

The area to the side of each window in that room is likely 3' at most. Your main expanse of trim work is behind that hutch. If you want it to be the showcase of the space lose the hutch. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how it opens up the space, makes it feel larger, makes the celings expand and gives you the opportunity to update the space with lamps, a mirror or beautoful art.

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

The walls are more “formal” than the dining set..if they’re exposed more ....it would be a reason for more formal fabric and finish on the country dining set perhaps

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    2 years ago

Board and batten is not formal. Formal would be a detailed wainscotting. Your dining set is in line with the formality of your trim work.

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

This poster is entitled to more than one opinion...your dismissive and authoritative opinions are often offensive...a little diplomacy would not be lost on this forum

• HU-161159613
    2 years ago

Beautiful home!

• dsimber
    2 years ago

Thank you, bty. I keep following along with interest, and there are several good options.

• everdebz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Piping up, ok...? :)

Solid heathered-woven seems nice with 'wheel' light [and strengthened with another circle, in metal]... and watercolory art. And large blue, quite accenting.

So my vote if you go with that is no pattern on chairs. But your pro's said that already, so thanks for listening to me.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    2 years ago

I am not sure if your comment was directed at me @btydrvn but I will address them since it came right after my comment. Lets go over this shall we because I agree anyone who posts here is entitled to a plethora of opinions and Colleen has gotten a ton and it has helped her immensley.

"The walls are more “formal” than the dining set..if they’re exposed more ....it would be a reason for more formal fabric and finish on the country dining set perhaps"

This was your opinion. You stated it.

"Board and batten is not formal. Formal would be a detailed wainscotting. Your dining set is in line with the formality of your trim work."

This is my opinion. I stated it.

Any interpretation of the two that is seen in a derogatory manner, which is what you have stated is your own.

"your dismissive and authoritative opinions are often offensive"

Authoratitive and dismissive? Not really in my wheel house. "OFTEN" I find this word especially interesting since I have not been on this forum in months and have always had a good track record on it. Again as you stated @btydrvn Colleen is entiteled to opinions. No one as far as I can tell is depriving her of that. I personally find it more offensive that you have used this space for something other than design advice and that you have used it to throw derogatory comments down and towards me.

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

Please...Address your comments to the OP ... it is not your job to correct other posters or disqualify their opinions....if you really cared about anything but yourself you would just say ... sorry... I didn’t mean to offend

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No need to defend me! 😃 I welcome any and all opinions. Happy to process and come to my own conclusion. I have benefited greatly from everybody’s excellent advice. DIS is right…. I have been helped immensely. Please don’t stop now. It’s all good.

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Everdebz…..what is a “wheel light”? (I like the heathered woven best too)

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 years ago

Hi Colleen just popping in to see if you have made any decisions.

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Been in Chicago all week so not quite yet

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi everybody… It’s been a while.
    I am once again considering swapping out my dining room chandelier & would love your opinion! Although I like the one I have, it just doesn’t go with the rest of my decor. My decor is primarily neutral: creams, blue gray, natural, white. Can you help me pick something moderately priced that would blend well with the foyer fixture (1st pic) that you helped me pick? Here’s a few photos to remind you of what we’re dealing with.

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Open floor plan

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Interested in this one….thoughts?

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s probably too similar to the one in the foyer – the last thing I want is for them to match!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I think that is great pick and goes with entry fixture but not too matchy at all.

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks 😊

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Just don’t hang it too high! Lol

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Flo-do you think my current one is hung too high? (I’ve been thinking about raising it up to get it out of the way but that’s probably because it’s too heavy and dark for that space)

• Theresa Janssen
    2 years ago

A couple other thoughts...

• Theresa Janssen
    2 years ago

Height of chandelier...

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Theresa! I like the Lottie

• Theresa Janssen
    2 years ago

To me, its timeless and works with many different styles..

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Where did u find Lottie?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Height depends on shape of chandelier and lines of sight viewing it. The “guidelines” give you starting point but viewing in the space gives best feeling of proper height. You want it low enough that it makes the statement you want while dining and then above eye level of seated diners that they can see easily to other guests. Some consideration of the look from your entry and then from entry toward your China cabinet. To me the ceiling height is not relevant for hanging. It’s important when selecting size and shape of chandelier so with higher ceiling a two tier chandelier might be better than one tier. But for hanging I want the look at “living” height. Just from experience, this is my formula. Sometimes I measure but not often. Lol

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

By the way – here’s what the dining room currently looks like with the chairs reupholstered. Wanting to find a light fixture that will lighten up the space and work with the dining set the way it is currently but also keep in mind that I can continue to consider painting both table and hutch.

• Theresa Janssen
    2 years ago

Lottie from ballard designs...

• Theresa Janssen
    2 years ago

Another thought... how about a  white chandelier?

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not against white/off white.

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

How about this one?

• Theresa Janssen
    2 years ago

I like that one too.  Simple and open feeling and timeless.  I will look for a white one just to compare.

• Theresa Janssen
    2 years ago

Saw this style and liked it as its very light feeling and in the same vein as your island pendants...

• Theresa Janssen
    2 years ago

Heres a white one....

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    2 years ago

Colleen if you have decided to leave the big china cabinet/hutch in the DRoom I would add a round chandelier…not linear

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Open to suggestions! Finish? Size?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Reupholstering the chairs didn't make the furniture set any more palatable for the room. You could get a good many more years if you had chalk painted the table chairs and china cabinet a strong color.

• Colleen Bear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beverly – I hear you and respect your opinion. That is the long term goal but reupholstering the chairs was an easier fix and believe me the previous fabric needed to be replaced….it was a good first step. Hoping to stain paint both pieces eventually but I have just too many projects going on at the moment.