Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_378895661

design help with large beam

Leela Turunga
3 years ago

I’m seeking some design suggestions for this living room. It’s currently completely gutted, we are putting in new real hardwood floors in a med/dark maple, modernizing fireplace, shiplap to fireplace wall. This beam is horribly large, 22inches and load bearing. We’ve assessed it with an engineer and it’s upward of $30k to try to make this flush. If we were to not pursue the “removal” of this beam how might you layout this room to be used as a family space with tv and furniture etc

Comments (29)

• Diane
    3 years ago

Lovely home and updating the fireplace by making it less fussy and removing the brackets on the beam ends are a good idea. Although I love shiplap in the right application imho I would not use it here and instead embrace the modern vibe your home seems to have.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Beam shouldn’t dictate furniture placement. Hard to suggest a layout; are you planning tv to be over fireplace, need space for a dining table, are you getting new furniture and if not, what do you have now exactly?

Without views of whole room - right side and side opposite fireplace - it’s too hard to make suggestions at this point. You will receive practical and helpful information if you can provide more details. Hope this helps.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

Am having the same issue in a condo design. Raising the beam isn't an option either. Am contemplating embracing the beam and changing the the sheathing material from gypsum board to something else. What I'm not exactly sure yet. I might get crazy and use the same material used on the floor. As far as furniture arrangement, would you consider rotating your sofa so that it faces the fireplace? Orienting the sofa with the beam might make the living and eating areas more defined within the confines of the beam. Good luck!

• greg_2015
    3 years ago

In the last picture, it looks like that decorative bracket has been removed.

I think a sketch of the floor plan with dimensions would help with any kind of layout options.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I would need a to scale floor plan of the whole space and BTW modernized does not include shiplap ever IMO Is tah your furniture you show? We need more info as to the use of the space, how much seating you need etc.

• Leela Turunga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Shiplap was suggested by our contractor. I’m not necessarily loving the idea, my husband did. None of that furniture is ours, it was the previous owners. I will get a floor plan ASAP and update this thread. Anyone else feel shiplap is a bad idea? We are choosing luxury finishings throughout the house. Thank you all.

• aziline
    3 years ago

Shiplap is not luxury finishings. Happily skip it and put the money somewhere else.

• Leela Turunga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also, it’s a beach house. Contractor will sketch the floor plan today so I can share that info

• bpath
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The ceiling slopes down to meet the windows on the other side of the beam, right? Does the slope start at the beam, or between the beam and the wall?

• pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago

I would not do shiplap. I don't think it'll help solve anything.

Once you can get a floor plan sketched out with the placement of the beam included I think that would help. While I don't think the beam has to dictate the furniture placement, I do think if you can make a natural layout where the beam lives on the edge (such as just behind a sofa), I think the beam will feel less imposing. Our eyes do see changes in ceiling height and do read them as delineations even if there isn't an actual impediment to furniture placement.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

I agree: no shiplap and remove the tiny brackets.

The beam is unfortunately located, and divides the interior space into two rather oddly proportioned spaces. Without knowing your planned furniture arrangement, I wonder if creating a furred down ceiling area, using the existing beam and a matching "beam" spaced several feet apart, with an attractive gypsum board or wood ceiling between the two "beams" would make the space look more deliberate and purposeful...? It would create two spaces in the interior, with better proportions. Possibly include several recessed downlights...

• Leela Turunga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You will all be happy to know that after reading the comments to this point I just texted my contractor and canceled shiplap.

The decorative brackets were removed.

Bpath- you are correct, the beam is 22inches when viewed from this direction, there is step down on the other side and it is around 14inches and “curves” toward the wall of the fireplace.

• Leela Turunga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Norwood Architects the plan was to put the tv above the fireplace and face couches that direction. Again this was the contractors/husbands idea. I personally hate TVs above fireplaces and find it both uncomfortable to watch and ugly.

• PRO
    Gawoski Architects
    3 years ago

The beam should absolutely define the furniture layout. A beam will help define different spaces and this room could have three different seating groups by use. Without the benefit of a floor plan or more photos it looks like the far space is smaller with a sloping ceiling, possibly an addition. You could have two arm chairs and coffee table by fireplace, bistro table and chairs by window, and sofa seating group and tv in larger space. Furniture such as low bookcases or parsons table with potted plants below beam and between fireplace seating and tv seating could further loosely define separate seating spaces. The large window to the right of the fireplace faces the back yard? This window could be replaced with a sliding or french door .

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I can't imagine that beam being cost effectively removed.

• Leela Turunga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi everyone!

Here is the layout of the room, front door is marked “D” and the red line is about where the beam is located. The fireplace and bay windows all overlook the front yard. Adjacent to front door are steps leading up to stair case and to kitchen. First picture is walking in from front door and second is looking towards the stairs if your back is to the fireplace. Again, none of the furniture is ours and everything has been demolished including the stairs which are getting rebuilt.

Thank you all so much for your input!

• BT
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I doubt it is a true 22" beam, more likely a floor truss. Seriously doubt it will take 30k to replace it. I replaced one myself and it was not that bad at all. Looks like W12x35 could do nicely, but talk to your engineer... Overall I am sorry, but what hack designs a floorplan without a single wall to support the second story?

• Leela Turunga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We’ve had 3 engineers and a welder come. As well as 2 different contractors. It’s structural and joists are sitting on this beam. We did demo portions to beam etc. estimate is between $25k-30k. BT- I sure wish it was as simple as yours was 😔

• Leela Turunga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@BT seriously, a hack! It’s been our thought on many things in this home. The home was built in 1987, not so long ago, for it to have such an alarming number is downright terrible design.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

Was the beam the result of creating an opening to a new addition to the existing house?

• Leela Turunga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Virgil Carter Find Art the beam was not a result of creating an opening to a new addition to the existing house. This horrible beam was in the original design. Above the area by the fireplace is a balcony as well

• Leela Turunga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update- we are going to demo all the dry wall encompassing the beam and expose everything to better evaluate the removal (relocation upward with psl) and costs.

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

Leeza, this might be one of those “Gulp!” moments that we all have when we take on a project like yours. The “Gulp!” being the sound you make as you swallow the $25-30k that you hoped to put into other places in your project, and put it into removing the beam...and making your new home structurally sound. You will still have a change in your ceiling elevation, but it won’t be as obvious as the situation that you have now. And it will make the entire room useable for years to come. Some of your other projects might have to be put on hold for a while. But that is sometimes what happens when plans go awry. Good luck to you!

• acm
    3 years ago

I would ignore the beam. Put the TV over a credenza on the wall to the left of the fireplace, and it will be easy to arrange an L-shaped seating arrangement that encompasses both (and keeps the TV at the right viewing height, with art over the fireplace). I would guess that that seating area would end up being most of the space, given the need for walkways, and then you could probably put a nice armchair near the bay windows (or a pair with a table between) for quieter hangs and enjoying the view. The space by the stairs could be for, say, a game table or a casual eating spot, depending on the rest of the house and what functions you need,

• Leela Turunga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gulp, gulp, gulp ....

The story of this project. Can’t say we’ve exactly sacrificed anywhere so in that regard the house will be perfect when complete, if we manage to solve this beam problem

• Leela Turunga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi everyone! An Update: we demolished the beam and hired a structural engineer. We will be able to reduce the beam down to 3-4” I’ve included a pic of the beam- appears to be layered and some of this is not load bearing. Given the new 3-4” that we expect to achieve what suggestions does this wonderful group have for layout. I would also appreciate some suggestions for this fireplace. We nixed the shiplap and are in favor of a more elegant look. The kitchen on the opposing side will feature whites, unlaquered brass/polished nickel, natural stone (tbd). The downstairs bathroom will have a custom floating walnut vanity with white marble floor and top with polished nickel.

• Leela Turunga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

BEAM REMOVED!!

• Laura
    3 years ago

Wonderful news!