Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austinkisses2008z8a

Heirloom and Amazon - maybe you should read this folks.

Austin
3 years ago

I just discovered that we can order most, if not all of their roses from Amazon. NO shipping cost and the roses are the same cost from what I could tell. Orders are fulfilled by Heirloom. As you know Amazon takes most everything back if we are displeased. This might be worth looking into guys. Let me know if you have any experience with this.

Comments (31)

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

One thing I noticed immediately is that all of Heirloom's roses on Amazon are full price. The only way you could save money is if they have your one "must-have" rose. You could save the cost of shipping that way. But generally, if you're buying more than one rose (at full price), you get free shipping from Heirloom on their website anyway. Plus, since they're almost always running some kind of sale (quite often 20-30% on the whole website), you can order a couple, maybe three depending on cost, and meet their threshold for free shipping AND save 20-30%. So like I said, the only way Amazon is a deal is if you're buying just one rose.

John

EDIT: regardless of sales and "free shipping", Heirloom is too rich for my blood. They lost my biz a long time ago.

• Austin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was just surprised that they were available from Amazon. Guess the big A carries everything now. Was thinking of the benefits of Amazons easy return policy in case a weak plant arrived as recently happened to me. However read deeper and Amazon said any returns were with Heirlooms policy. My garden is fairly full and I often only need one specific bush so might work for me.

• jerijen
    3 years ago

John Said:

"EDIT: regardless of sales and "free shipping", Heirloom is too rich for my blood. They lost my biz a long time ago."

**** Mine as well, Brother John.

Before they changed hands, actually ... But for a plethora of reasons -- most of which, I suspect, have not changed.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

I have gotten some great roses from Heirloom, I thought it was fair to add. Not an easy business.

• berrypiez6b
    3 years ago

I have never bought from Heirloom, but i'm considering trying them next Spring for rare ones like Madame Anisette. That puts me in the mood to browse their roses again and make a list .

A lot of nurseries are starting to charge upwards of 50 dollars , so I figure might as well pay it before they go up to 75 .

• Edhelka (North Wales, UK)
    3 years ago

I am not in the US so it really isn't my problem. But I just want to say this. I know it's their choice to sell there and its certainly part of their pricing calculations. But Amazon is expensive for 3rd party sellers. If you order there, a large chunk of your money goes to Amazon. If you want to support the seller, buy from their website where all money goes to them. Amazon also requires some customer service minimum which is quite harsh, although I would agree that it is good for a buyer. But still, buying on Amazon in the long term benefits mostly Amazon.

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

I have found HR roses to be healthier and larger than other online nurseries. For me it may be worth paying more to have a rose survive the summer and the following winter.

• Ken Wilkinson
    3 years ago

At one time, they had a great list of mini's and miniflora's. I bought many of them. Now they have done away with that list and the fact that everything is way out of my pocket for the size of the bush. I haven't bought from them for a long time.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

They have a lot that I love that I can’t get anywhere else. Desiree is one of them , and I just got my princess Elise from them, the tranquility rose they sell under their brand ( it’s pink not white ) is so incredibly beautiful .

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Rose nurseries have been dying out for years. Maybe Heirloom asks what really needs to be gotten for each unit in order to keep the doors open these days. And them entering into a perhaps lopsided arrangement with Amazon may be a survival move also - I don't know.

• Austin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My other roses from Heirloom were excellent and have. South Africa’s late arrival and late planting plus a slightly weaker plant was probably the cause of its death . Regan disappointed me most all, their plants looked good but have not thrived and 2 had canker and died. One replacement they send started browning the first week and also died. The other is limping along with the blackbrown purple lesions that it came with. I haven’t lost a rose except to RRD in years but maybe I am just losing my touch. Regan people were very nice which helps. . Given a choice I would buy big plants locally for the same $50. Agree not easy business although all gardening centers are on steroids with covid.

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

Has anyone got Spiced Coffee from Heirloom? The pictures on their website do not look like majority in HMF and then I saw this comment and was wondering,

”Member DesertChildAZ stated that 'Spiced Coffee' sold by Heirloom Roses is not the original rose. We have quite a number of different pictures for this listing, including some which refer to its provenance. DesertChildAZ can you specifically explain the differences for our members? I am also sure we can get an input from Anja Taschner.”

If you did, how does she do in your garden?

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

Lilyfinch -- that's exactly what I was thinking...easy to "hide" a rose with an Amazon order!

But I agree that it's important to support the small rose growers.

I gave up on Heirloom years ago when NONE of my microscopic bands thrived -- and they shipped specifically when I asked them not to. Two years ago I met the new owners of Heirloom and have since looked at their many videos and realize it is not the same company at all. So I've placed a couple of orders and now eagerly await my new roses. Ask me a year from now what I think of the new Heirloom! P.s. one rose was $50, but the others were $39, and I did get free shipping.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    3 years ago

Well, you DID bring up Amazon...I stopped buying from them years ago, as Jeff Bezos was already the richest man in the world, and I didn't want to add to his wealth. It's my understanding the company doesn't treat its employees well, either, and the low taxes they pay are a disgrace.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    3 years ago

Lek Arun...I grow 2 'Spiced Coffee' from Heirloom. This is their second season in my garden. They've done really well and are blooming a lot this season. The foliage is very healthy and the rose has a nice scent, as well as the unusual coloring.

Here is a bloom in cooler weather:

Here's how it looks now in warmer weather:

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

@Rosylady (PNW zone 8), Thank you so much for your response, Your flowers do not look like those light brown flowers that I saw on HMF but I love yours too, Now, my hesitation is gone, I am getting her this fall! Thanks again!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    3 years ago

I grow Spiced Coffee and mine looks a bit more brownish/lavender/pinkish. It is a beautiful, unusual rose and I love it so much I ordered another one that will be shipped in September. A good friend ordered Dark Night and I loved the color so ordered that along with High Sheriff and Betty Harkness. They send out really nice plants that grow very well. Earlier I ordered Leaping Salmon, a climber, and La Pariseanne and both are large and growing really well! The prices threw me off for awhile but they have unusual roses and I succumb to temptation every once in awhile.

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

@alameda/zone 8/East Texas, thank you for providing feedback on Spiced Coffee. I interest in this rose because watching YouTube that one lady grew her in Arizona and she made a comment that Spiced Coffee did well in Arizona dry heat but she got her from Ludwig’s rose. However, Heirloom currently is out of Spiced Coffee. ;(

Do you have Heirloom’s Safari? I love the picture of this rose on the web site.

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    3 years ago

I bought 4 roses from Heirloom this spring. They were all healthy and are growing well. One was a mislabled Firefighter. We have been corresponding by e-mail since June 30. FYI their policy is to ask the customer to wait until 4 or 5 blooms have opened to confirm the identity of the rose, just in case the rose is stressed from shipping. I am waiting for a final response as I will submit the photos for 4 blooms on Monday, July 27. When Heirloom is good they are very, very good. When they are bad, they are horrid. After ordering at least 40 roses by mail through the years I have never had a rose bush bloom other than true to type from the first bloom. (Edited to add Heirloom.)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    3 years ago

Lek, I dont have Safari. I wish Heirloom would make an effort to bring back some of these older roses they list but dont stock - First Great Western is one I would love - had it, lost it and always remembered it fondly. I am fortunate to still have Belvedere, a beautiful rose that is similar to it.

• Austin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Anyone know how to get an Augusta Louis? short of driving over the Palatine to pick one up. It is a bit far from Dallas.:) My mothers name was Augusta Katherine and she was more beautiful and special that even that rose. I have been searching for a supplier and trying to hit the buy button but Palatine keeps running out. I have the guy (recommended here) growing on for me. I ordered/paid for 2 plants last winter but have not heard from him since. Guess they are still growing, I am afraid he will send a band- not my 1st choice of sizes. I go for plants as big as I can get. I have aged out of patience and want instant reward.

• Austin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I figure I will be joining my mother in heaven before I am able to get that succor.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Austin, Peter's roses will do great, but are not the largest to start. He usually ships in the Fall and you could email him at Freedom Gardens or call to find out how they are doing.

• Austin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Sheila I had forgotten his name, you saved me looking it up. Oldsheimers

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Peter does carry Augusta Louise but you will have to put in an order for it as he lost many this past winter so is only honoring those that were ordered before and he will have to start again for next year. That's why it is not on the current custom propagation section. Just thought I'd let you know that. in fact those from this year may not be sent until next year. As they are so tiny. Don't get too discouraged.

• john_ca
    3 years ago

I had been buying Heirloom Roses plants for over a decade, up to the time that the company sold to the new owners. The bands used to cost $10 plus shipping and the price per band increased to around $15 or so plus shipping. I find the current prices of $39-$50 plus shipping costs, more than I want to spend for a single rose plant, especially since you can find so much of what is offered on his site at more reasonable prices from other vendors.

I had mainly been buying roses that were bred by the late owner of the company, John Clements, as his roses were not available for sale by other vendors, though I do believe that a few are (or were) available at Roses Unlimited. A number of these perform spectacularly in our area. As far as I can tell, none of the roses that have been bred by Heirloom Roses, have ever been patented. I have a number of them: (The Impressionist, Star of the Nile, Safari, Fragrant Masterpiece, Laura, Good Ole Summertime, Joan Fontaine, Golden Globe, Portlandia, Louise Clements, Memories, and Tranquility). I would be willing to trade rooted or unrooted cuttings to anyone who has other roses bred by John Clements or perhaps for other roses that are in your collection, that are of interest to me. I at one time had Magnificent Perfume and Apricot Impressionist, but they were both lost to pocket gophers. You can send me an email at this site if interested.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

Definitely worth checking. Another thing I've noticed is that if you have to "wait" on Heirloom's own website/they have something out of stock there, they sometimes have in stock on Amazon shipping immediately. It's bizarre, but I got my Scepter'd Isle in June rather than late August because of it :)

3 years ago

Just a follow-up here re Heirloom Roses. I ordered two from their website, then two more from their website, then changed my mind twice and changed my orders! I got the first two - in one gallon pots (far from the bands I got from the former Heirloom folks). I re-potted both of them into 5 gallon cans for later fall planting. I was very impressed with the roots fully holding the soil, but not pot-bound. Stems looked healthy. they are already growing and leafing out, even though I got them in the midst of a record heat wave for us. I had also found an Heirloom rose I wanted on Amazon, so ordered it there because I coudn't be bothered to go get my purse and enter my credit card info for the Heirloom site. I got the Amazon rose right away. My other two from Heirloom that I ordered a couple of months ago come tomorrow or the next day. The Amazon rose also looked great, and when I re-potted it to larger can the roots seemed perfect. I talked with someone at Heirloom who explained that Amazon requires immediate shipping - so that's why you get them right away. AND, I learned that with Amazon you get a 30 day guarantee, but direct from Heirloom you get a one year guarantee (or warranty?). Via the Heirloom website you can be part of the buds and blooms, but not via Amazon. So...if you want rewards and a one-year guarantee - shop the website. If you need to "hide" your rose purchases, shop Amazon. So far, I couldn't be happier with my Heirloom purchases. As I say above, ask me after a year if I still feel that way! :-)

3 years ago

p.s. AustinKisses -- did you get an Augusta Luise from Palatine? I got one! I set my alarm and made sure I was up super early and had my computer ready to go. I felt like I was buying concert tickets!

• Austin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

hey Deb, yes I set my alarm also... funny I ordered one AL on the dot when they opened but had other purchases to make. Did not want to delay the AL so paid and started over. Then I ordered by other 2 roses and included the AL on that order also thinking they could be sent together for shipping cost saving. I guess I confused them- go figure :)) - anyway They sent an email that she out of stock so called and told them what happened. That was apparently their nice way of saying that they had a one plant limit on her. I asked if I could get the other one also but sent to my son in Houston who also does roses but it was a no go. Nice to see they are being fair to all. Hopefully I still get the one with the larger order I do sometimes over think things.