Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grow_power87

Please help me get started

Hi all:

Ok, I am very new to this, and have been trying to read through forum posts, but it's pretty overwhelming and I feel so lost.

Here is my situation: We are building out a new kitchen where there was none. I am looking at purchasing a range, dishwasher and fridge. I have some sort of idea of what to look for in a dishwasher (quietness, speed) and a fridge (capacity), but I have really no idea what I am looking for in a range. I cook A LOT, but I have always been a make do sort of person and have been able to cook meals for a ton of people on the old jenn air cooktop we have, so I am not sure what special features that are out there.

I know the range has to be 30 inches, and I would like a duel fuel for an electric oven. I don't want induction. My husband said he wanted bigger burners, "more fire" were his exact works. What else should I be looking at ?? Reading through the forums, it seems like I should be looking at BTUs, and burner shapes and XXXX ???

For example, what is the real difference btw something like this LG and this KitchenAid?? There's 1k difference. Is it the baking drawer? The slightly more capacity? Slightly higher BTU? All of it?

Please teach me. Oh, and my budget is about 2-3K for the range. And if you have any suggestions for what else I should look for in a dishwasher /fridge, I will take that advice too. Thank you!!

Comments (5)

• pennfire
    3 years ago

“My husband said he wanted bigger burners, "more fire" were his exact works“

big gas burners = the need for a vent hood that can handle the heat/exhaust needs. I have a 36” wolf at my house with An appropriately sized hood and a 30” kitchen aid at my cabin with an undersized hood. It is a world of difference.

hood aside, I hate the kitchen aid Range, hate it!!!! Mine has five burners, which is worthless because it’s impossible to fit five pans on it at once but why would I need to? The burners blow out at the slightest breeze from the windows and the simmer function doesn’t work as it blows out if I turn on the vent hood. The only reason I bought it is my husband Insisted all appliances came for the same line/brand.

my advice is to by the best in class, not all from the same brand. Bosch dishwashers have served us well. I dislike thru door water and ice dispensers and am glad to be rid of them. We have a KA fridge at our cabin that is fine but the freezer handle requires constant tightening. I do not like the KA dw at ou pr cabin as the heated ry doesn’t work well. love the Bosch at our primary house.

grow power (zone 10a, alameda ca) thanked pennfire
  • Architectural Notice
    3 years ago

I have five burners on my current range and have only used all five a handful of times over the last 10 years.

I just purchased a range with four burners and am sure it will fit my cooking needs just fine.

• TBL from CT
    3 years ago

Following are links to 3 articles (not long) from the Yale Appliance Blog. They discuss more costly dual fuel ranges but go through features that should help you decide which are important to you and will shed light on some cost aspects. As the previous posts state, 4 burners are fine for most cooks with 30" ranges. Having one high BTU burner should satisfy your husband. How high is your current range?

Lots of details comparing 2 ranges, one half the price of the other

Oven and BTUs two models

Illustrations of 2 brands six models

Plan a significant budget for your exhaust. You will find many discussions on Houzz regarding BTUs, ventilation, regulations, safety, and make up air. It's complicated but important. Learn before you plan the cabinets!

People love/hate every brand based on their experience. A few things stand out, mostly in high price ranges (Sub Zero and column fridges, Bluestar, Wolf, other high end large cookers). No moderate fridge comes to mind, but note that most repairs are due to ice dispensers through the door, so you might want to forgo that feature. Dishwashers: I repeatedly tout Bosch here based on my experience. There are many models in a wide price range. A drying issue you may read about should not be the case in new models.

Best of luck!

grow power (zone 10a, alameda ca) thanked TBL from CT
  • wekick
    3 years ago

Bosch does make great dishwashers. My DIL has a 500 series and I have an 800 series and both clean great. I like the ones with real buttons vs the touch pad I have on the one now. The touch pad doesn’t like wet hands and takes more touches to do things.

For your range, I have a couple of questions.

What type of cooking does your husband do that he wants high heat? You can add more BTUs but where are the BTUs going? Most ring burners have a cap that causes the flame to flare as you turn the heat up. This may work well if you are using wide pans but not as well if you are using a wok. If you have to turn the heat down to keep it under the pan, you aren’t able to use those BTUs. This would be the reason to look at the burner shape and whether or not there is a burner cap. This is why people look at a BlueStar, but this is more money and also all gas. You will definitely need good ventilation for higher BTUs. Some consider getting a rangetop and separate wall oven but this is more expensive too.

I like electric ovens but they have changed in the last several years. What type of oven do you have now? They all have a hidden bake element which changes the way some things like pies bake. I would not use the self clean because of this and the electronics in the oven. The heat rising from the element is very hard on the bottom of the element. Most manufacturers tout convection especially “true” convection as magic for making your oven heat evenly when it can set up air currents that cause hot spots. It is very hard to get all of the modes/fans/elements working together right. Electric ovens can have more to go wrong like computer boards.

I would look at your budget as a whole and prioritize the most important appliance. I have to laugh at my kitchen because the most trouble free appliance I have had was my $300(new) fridge that sits outside. I bought it when the computer board on my KA was failing.

Yale is OK for some of their statistics but their articles about appliances have some false information. Sentences like this from the second article give me pause.

”All gas ovens tend to have a better broiling capability whereas dual fuel ovens have true convection which is great for people who like to bake.”

Unless you have an infrared broiler in a gas oven, gas broilers are terrible. The heat goes up.

True, European or third element convection can create hot spots. This is why manufacturers use baffles, reversing fans or dual fans to disperse the heat.