Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

More roses :) ... last of the season?

rosecanadian
3 years ago

The season is winding down and the buds on my bushes may yet open...hopefully this will be a long season...but you never know here. So here are my latest blooms. Hopefully there will be more.

Pope John Paul II

Comments (28)

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Lasting Love

Sceptr'd Isle

Pretty Lady Rose

Queen of Elegance

Bishop's Castle...thanks to Teresa who told me to use potassium to make the canes stiffer!

Stainless Steel hip - still needs time to ripen

Maria Callas (All American Beauty) I was going to toss this rose this winter...but now it's starting to look pretty!

Emma Haftl

Violet's Pride

Tahitian Sunset...or whatever this rose is. LOL

Diane Loomer

Augusta Luise

Dee-Lish

Thanks again to Straw for my Bishop's Castle's health!

Lasting Love

Thanks for looking! :)

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    3 years ago

Carol, gorgeous roses! Love them all 🌿💕🌿. Helen

rosecanadian thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Helen! :) :)

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    3 years ago

What a beautiful collection, Carol. I hope you get a nice long mild autumn.

rosecanadian thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

As some may know, I’m not big on compliments for rose photos, but those are outstanding.

rosecanadian thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

I really do love them all! Such beautiful roses!

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • pippacovalent
    3 years ago

Wow those are stunning blooms!

rosecanadian thanked pippacovalent
  • joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

What a stunning collection!!! You grow Augusta Luise? That gives me hope and inspiration that maybe I could have her here! Your Lasting Love is amazing :)

rosecanadian thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Carol, holy moly!! You are my superhero of fabulous roses grown in pots ! Your Bishops Castle is so stunning it is tempting me to go for it .I hope that get several more weeks of enjoyment. This season has gone way too fast

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

You had a wonderful assortment of roses. They all look so healthy too.

rosecanadian thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • strawchicago z5
    3 years ago

Carol: You have the most petals ever !! Great job in feeding them well. Growing roses in pots is 10 times harder than in ground, and you did the best job ever. Love your photography which shows how the blooms are like. Your Lasting Love and Bishop's Castle have more blooms than leaves ... amazing feat that only rose parks can do in spring flush.

Your Diane Loomer and Auguste L. are on my wish-list, such fantastic colors & many petals.

rosecanadian thanked strawchicago z5
  • Lisa Adams
    3 years ago

I agree with all the wonderful compliments above! Of all our members, you’re surely one of the most deserving of them! Not only are you a joy and inspiration to all of us, your roses are wonderful despite some very difficult conditions. I‘m amazed at how happy and healthy your roses look. Straw is right. It IS difficult to grow roses in pots and get that kind of bloom! Bishop’s Castle looks amazing indeed! I hope you get to enjoy them for as long as possible, Carol. You’re so dedicated to them. Well done! Lisa

rosecanadian thanked Lisa Adams
  • threeboxerlover DEZ7a
    3 years ago

Those are all so beautiful. I hope to one day have such gorgeous blooms!!! I love Augusta Louise! Just beautiful.

rosecanadian thanked threeboxerlover DEZ7a
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol, you deserve all the compliments and praise that are posted below your gorgeous photos--and then some. I, too, hope your season is a long one, so the remainder of those buds open. Your bouquet of the Pope is exquisite with the blue vase in contrast to the pale blooms. I love the touches of blue we can see in the background, too. And where is that messy counter you said you had a while back in a post? It's all so perfect. I love every one of your roses, so as I descended the photos, I would say to myself: "Oh! That's my favorite." Then on to the next photo: "Oh! That's my favorite." But really, your Bishop's Castle is one of the best I've seen--I especially loved seeing the petal stuffed cluster of blooms in the first BC photo. My kind of luscious rose. I'm glad that K worked because those are one heavy bunch of blooms. Great advice, Theresa. And I'm loving that Augusta Luise bloom. Wow. And Dee-Lish is much prettier than her name (sorry, I know you like that name). All in all, what a tremendous season for you that more than makes up for your troubles last year. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

Carol, everything has been said, but I just wanted you to know I enjoyed each photo and I'm cheering for you because you had a rough start this year. Every rose I've grown in a pot has died. I believe there is a knack to success with roses in pots, and you do it to perfection. Hoping for a late fall so you can enjoy blooms as long as possible.

rosecanadian thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh wow everyone!!! Thank you all SO much!!! I'm overwhelmed!!! :) :)

Ben - Thank you so much!!! I really hope so too! What usually happens is that we have a really bad cold spell and the roses go in the garage, and then we have some mild weather. But, now that I'm going to be wheeling some of them in/out of the garage...maybe I'll get more blooms anyway. And like you say...maybe that really bad cold spell won't happen. :) :)

Rifis - thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! That means a lot....I really appreciate it! :) :)

Oursteelers - I really appreciate this!! :) :)

Pippa - Thank you!! "Stunning"...I love that word! :) :)

Joey - Thank you!!!! Just remember that I don't overwinter my roses outside, but in the garage.

Kristine - I used a LOT of potassium...not all at once...but I kept going with it. Just to tempt you more...it has a great fragrance!! Thank you sooooo much!! :) :)

Stephanie - thank you sooo much!! Also...I'm in a dry climate (look at our poor grass), and we don't really get rose diseases here.

Straw - I learned at the foot of the master!! Thank you for you patience with me and for your wonderful comments! You should put Chartreuse de Parme on your list too....for bloomability/gorgeous blooms/great fragrance.

Lisa - awwwwwww!!!! Thank you soooo much!!!! What a wonderful group of people here!!! Lisa, you are soooo sweet!!! :) :)

threeboxers - my Augusta Luise rose bushes (I have 2) are not doing all that well. Straw has been helping me figure them out...and they're improving. But based on my roses, I wouldn't say they've been fabulous. But I think they'll be even better next year! :) :) Thank you so much!!!

Diane - LOL with the dishes...they're in my deep sink and on the other side of where I took my picture. If I do dishes...my upper back gets so tight that I have to lie down for a few hours...so in the summer...I only do them at night. Bwahaha!! Thank you soooo much!!! I love cobalt blue...and it goes with any rose color. :) For you to say that about my Bishop's Castle is wonderful...you grow roses better than anyone...and that's saying a LOT with this group of rose growers! :) Thank you, Diane!!

You are all so wonderful!!! Thank you, my rose family!!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much flowersaremusic!! I do so love your handle (name). Now that dates me, doesn't it. LOL I really appreciate your comments! :) :) You grow such wonderful roses that you don't really need to grow them in pots. :)

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    3 years ago

Your Emma Haftl is beautiful! By chance do you grow it no-spray? Looking at its parentage, I wonder if I would have a chance with it zone 8 in a no-spray garden. I just love it! How is the fragrance?

rosecanadian thanked Sunny Mississippi 8a
  • suzanne_in_virginia 7b
    3 years ago

Beautiful flowers! Thank you so much for sharing.

rosecanadian thanked suzanne_in_virginia 7b
  • berrypiez6b
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Real beauties Carol, to use your expression I'm swooning over Bishop's Castle, it's beyond words.

rosecanadian thanked berrypiez6b
  • totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Carol, they look great. What soil did you use? I think you had tried gritty mix one or two years ago and did not like the results?

What form of potassium did you use and how much?

rosecanadian thanked totoro z7b Md
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sunny - Yes, I grow Emma Haftl no spray...but I grow everything no spray...we don't get diseases here. So I'm no help for you there. I do know that Jalbert is keen on hybridizing healthy roses. The fragrance is rosy...about medium strength. I can't really recommend it because it was a bareroot last year and this winter it almost died because the garage door was left open (I grow them in pots)...so it had a lot of recovering to do. Right now, it's still quite small...but it has about 5 blooms on it...so it's recovering. Thanks, Sunny! I really appreciate your comments. :)

Suzanne - thanks so much!! :) :)

Berrypie - awww thanks! Yes, I constantly need smelling salts. LOL This is the best year for my BC...and it's because of the help of StrawChicago.

Totoro - well...sigh...laugh...I have sooo many different types of soil that I tried. I did keep records...although I'm not the best at that. I finally figured out that the reason why I didn't like the 5-1-1 mixture is that I didn't put anything in (lime or glacial till dust) to raise the pH. Can you say, "moron?" Okay, be nicer to myself. LOL So it wasn't the 5-1-1 mixture...it's that I didn't raise the pH. Well...for Bishop's Castle I think I used about half a cup over time. Seriously...it took a lot...but others I may have put in 1/4 cup while others a tablespoon. It all depended on how droopy the rose heads or canes were. Straw recommended the stuff from the link below...so I bought some.

https://www.bustan.ca/gaia-green-langbeinite-sul-po-mag-or-k-mag-0-0-22-2kg

You may want to check out this thread on the forum...scroll past the story writing

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5950727/tell-me-a-story-2#n=186

Teresa/Straw has been helping a lot on this topic. :) I've learned a lot!

• towandaaz
    3 years ago

WOW!

rosecanadian thanked towandaaz
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Awww....thanks towandaaz!!! It's starting to get colder...going up to 15C/59F today.

• seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

Beautiful roses, Carol! You're an inspiration to all of us cold climate growers! The season is too short but you always make the most of it!

rosecanadian thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Seil! Yes, the season is too short...but at least now I have Streptocarpus plants growing in the house. I can't for the life of my remember who suggested them...was it you? Anyway, I'm really happy about the recommendation! I love those little plants!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ceres - thank you so much!!! Oooh...the peony look...that's a great compliment!!

Yes, it took me a few years and a whole lot of Teresa's patience before I could understand anything. It really helped me to write it down in a book....the process of writing really helps.

I'm already looking forward to next year! LOL