Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim_manzo

Need help selecting ottoman size!

3 years ago

Hi friends!! I need some help! I’m looking for an ottoman for this room and not quite sure what size or style to go with. The distance from couch to chairs is about 10’. I taped out for a 7’ rug and the layout I have pictured now is for a 48” cocktail ottoman. Is this too big for this room? I’m open to any suggestions, this is just what I had in mind for starters. Not sure if I’m even on the right path. Any help would be wonderful!

Comments (7)

• 3 years ago

I think you’re going to want at least an 8x10 rug - the front feet of all the furniture should be on the rug (at a minimum). It seems like the 48” ottoman works, but the furniture seems to be floating too far away from it. Pull everything in a little closer so it’s more conversational and the furniture feels “connected” to the table in between. (Unless things are closer than they seem in the photos?)

• 3 years ago

Will you use a tray on the ottoman? You want the ottoman to be close enough to the couch that you can actually sit forward and set a drink on there comfortably.

• 3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I can move the chairs a bit closer, but the couch is against a wall and wouldn’t be able to move out without blocking another walkway. And I was afraid if I move the chairs in, it would off-center the rest of the room? Would that matter in this case? And thanks for the suggestion on the rug. I wasn’t sure what the rule would be there. I did purchase an 8 x 10 but it also looked overwhelming. Could just be, because I’m not used to having one there and especially without a table of some sort. I’ll give it another try. And yes, I was planing to have some sort of tray on the ottoman for decoration and usage. I also plan on moving it closer when I want to use it for a foot stool.

• 3 years ago

And you are completely correct, things are much farther apart and not so connected due to the size of the room. That’s why I was thinking of going with the larger 48” ottoman.

• 3 years ago

Is it possible to have the couch face the fireplace and then split the two chairs on either side? It’s hard for me to tell dimensions from the photos so maybe it’s too tight to do that. If it works that might allow you to bring the seating in a little closer with blocking the walkway from the kitchen. Here is a good article on rug size:

https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/design-mistake-2-the-too-small-rug

• 3 years ago

*without blocking

• 3 years ago

I would love to be able to do that, but I don’t think it would be enough space between the back of the couch and the island. And I can’t really bring the couch closer to fireplace due to height of tv. It’s a very confusing layout I know. 🥺
    I did flip the couch and chairs but it is still an odd shaped layout unfortunately.