Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheauchin_woon

Help with Kitchen Layout - Fridge and microwave placement

Sheau Chin Woon
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello I am designing our kitchen floor plan and am having trouble figuring out the best placement for the microwave & fridge. The kitchen currently has an over the range microwave, and I would like to change to a ventilation hood so the microwave needs to be moved somewhere else.

First option

• On the right side, add a tall cabinet next to fridge for a built-in microwave
  • Keeps all other appliances in the same location as it is currently
  • Pantry is an existing closet

Second option

• My contractor suggested moving the fridge to where the current pantry closet sits
  • I can then add two tall cabinets on the wall to the right, so I could either (a) put a built-in microwave in one of the tall cabinets or (b) hang an over the counter microwave in the wall cabinet (labeled in this floorplan) so that it is somewhat hidden from view by the tall cabinet.

My thought was option 2 would give me a tad bit more aisle space since the fridge no longer juts out halfway on the right aisle, but I am not sure if there are downsides to having the dishwasher and fridge side-by-side?

My hope is with the addition of two tall cabinets on the right, I won't miss the pantry closet, but has anyone removed a pantry closet and regretted it? (I do have a laundry closet nearby with similar sized storage space.)

I would also love feedback on any other improvements I can move to the floorplan.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Edit: Here is the floorplan of the entire floor in case helpful. I will be removing the big base cabinets that are currently next to the fridge.

Comments (5)