Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_969271744

How would you change this plan for a 2 person house?

HU-969271744
3 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipI-lLwYLhQ

It is of course quite small, and perhaps would not meet code in a lot of places. But I was thinking of this more of a thought experiment.

If you were planning a very small house like this, what would you build?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

I would build another small house like this next to it to get away from my wife and I'm sure she would want the same :-)

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

My thoughts exactly GN. And connect the two with a screened porch that has a love seat:)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

If I were you , I would talk to a few architects to see what they-could do to meet my specific needs in a home now and in the future, and see how they would have the home respond to the site. I would not spend my valuable time looking at other peoples dreams trying to twist them to make them my own.

• mainenell
    3 years ago

That home is lived in by two people... Max and his girlfriend.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

Is this a way to get more viewers of the video?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

there are already over 2million views!

It's so small that they had to film it with a lens that totally distorts the picture. It must be REALLY tiny!

• DLM2000-GW
    3 years ago

Considering that my son, daughter-in-law and not quite 3 year old granddaughter are living in a 8 x 20 tiny house on wheels, this seems positively spacious.

• dsnine
    3 years ago

Yuck, I wouldn’t. I’m all for a cottage or bungalow, especially renovating a war-era one to give it new utility. But the tiny houses are just tough. anything under about 700-800 square feet for two people and their stuff can feel awfully cramped after awhile. Just too many functionality an storage tradeoffs for most people.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Most of the photography is done using a wide angle lens - making the place look a lot larger than it really is.

Kitchen - if there were two of me, it would be impossible for both of us to cook. (I am not used to being an only cook - although I am happy to do so on special occasions, just not nightly.) My pantry has also helped me see through COVID.

I am impressed with the insulation work.

I am glad the bedroom is on the same level as the bath. Anything else (hey, I'm retired - I get up at one or two every morning to exercise my bladder - no stairs, and ESPECIALLY no ladder!) would not be acceptable for me. Alone or as a partner.

It will all depend on how much you two want to pare down your belongings, and I mean that genuinely. If one is downsizing for the sake of another, expect future trouble.

I subscribe to the YouTube channel, Living Large in a Tiny House - even though I have no desire to do so, I do get great ideas and I respect those who are trying to make that concept work. (And the guy who hosts that channel has a really restful voice.)