Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blyankey

Exterior Paint For Selling 1976 Home!

L
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I love our 1976 house, I love everything about it! But alas, all bedrooms are upstairs and the time has come to look for a one level home. We will put it on the market in a year or two.
The painter uses Sherwin William's Super Paint. I'm thinking a true gray instead of the blue gray and keep everything that's white, white?
I've included a close up of the brick.
I'm working on accepting that we need to sell, and need to get it ready for someone else to love.
I would appreciate any ideas for painting! Will need landscaping too, but that will come later.
Thank you!
MORE INFORMATION

In our little neighborhood, where all the 30 some houses were built in the mid 70s, our house sould probably sell for about $300,000, which is about 15% above the median price of our little subdivision. However, in the surrounding area, we are now surrounded by newer homes that are in the $4-500,000 range.

L.

Comments (44)

• ljangell44
    3 years ago

Romove those shutters.

L thanked ljangell44
  • Lars
    3 years ago

It really depends on what your real estate market it and your geographic location.

Here's a house a couple of blocks from me that sold recently, right after the exterior was repainted.

I have no idea where your house is. In my neighborhood, black and white is a very popular combination for exterior colors.

L thanked Lars
  • Lars
    3 years ago

We painted our house with Sherwin Williams paint also, using Really Teal for the upper portion and Origami White for the trim. We left the existing beige color, as it was in good shape and only needed minor touch-ups.

We did this in September 2017. We had black shutters that we got rid of. The upper portion of the house was white before.

Colors that are popular in Los Angeles might not be popular where you are, which is why it is important to know your geographic location.

L thanked Lars
  • L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ljangell44 I wondered about the shutters! Thanks for the input!

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lars, that teal is very pretty!

Grays, beiges, tans and other neutrals are popular here.

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

A few ideas

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sashadog, thank you! Those could be color matched to Sherwin Williams?

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Another picture showing the roof

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

I imagine they can get close; a few more that are just Sherwin Williams

L thanked Indecisiveness
  • L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you SashaDog! That is so helpful! I would love a blue door!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Scheme #1 from SashaDog. Not sure that the trim should be anything than white.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

remove shutters.

some color combos

these just show some makeovers and siding colors

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

remove shutters.

some color combos

these just show some makeovers and siding colors

L thanked Beth H. :
  • L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you BeverlyFLADeziner! I had just been thinking that the garage door should not be white so thanks for "painting" it! Or when you said trim did you mean the garage door too?

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Upgrade your lantern lights. They should be 1/3 of the door's height. I know landscape is for later, but the hedge is blocking access to the door and you should think about a sidewalk out to the street when you do that project.

L thanked decoenthusiaste
  • L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much Beth! So many ideas to think about!

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Removing the shutters, adding more modern lights, and painting the top a darker color will go a long way to bring the house back to its modern 70's roots. Not sure I'd go stark white for trim-more along the lines of the trim colors Beth is suggesting. Good luck with your project!

L thanked katinparadise
  • L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Help! The professional painters are here to powerwash the house. I'm at the "Paralysis" stage of choosing colors. The painter showed me a Sherwin Williams exterior paint colors brochure, and we looked at a color called "Shoji White." The chip looked wonderful next to the brick, a gray or taupe or greige. But when I looked up houses painted that color online, they look off white. Is it ok to go that direction? If I were painting the house for myself, I would probably choose this color. Reminder: We are looking at selling in a year or so.

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here's the color

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

shoji is a neutral, creamy white. you can do that or Swiss Coffee. have them paint a sample for you. But it should look fine.

what color for the trim? I'd do something w/some contrast

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Shutters are off.

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Beth!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

looks good without the shutters!

L thanked Beth H. :
  • L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Now what?

So I decided to go with Perfect Greige for the siding. It is the exact color of the grout on the brick. As soon as the painter left for the paint store I started to regret it, it's so dark and brown! But I'm pretty sure I would have felt the same no matter what I picked.

Now the painter is saying that the trim is "plastic" (vinyl) which can't be painted. The windows themselves are wood, so can be painted, but not the part surrounding them. That applys to all of the windows except the side light windwos by the front door, which is all wood.

So do I just match the color for the wood part of the windows to the existing white of the vinyl?

Ideas for trim colors?

Edited to add: In terms of the view from the curb, it's not like there is that much siding, it's mostly brick. I'm thinking now since I'm going with a darker color the garage should remain white instead of painting Perfect Greige?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

can we have a current pic?

you can paint the wood trim a dark color if you like, or go w/white

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The window itself is wood, everything around it is vinyl.
    Do you mean it's ok if the wood windows are one color while surrounding vinyl stays white?

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just did a search for images to my question, and apparently people do that. What colors?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

has he already painted the new color?

and you're keeping brick as is, yes?

I thought the windows themselves were vinyl, and the surrounding trim was wood.

But since those are vinyl, prob easier just to keep everything white.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

What would it cost to replace the trim so it could be painted?

Who do you think is likely to buy your home? Your Realtor may have ideas on that. I love some of the color suggestions you have been given, and am guessing they may appeal to younger buyers.

Younger buyers are often looking for something updated, so doing something outside your comfort zone could pay off at resale.

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

All opinions welcome!
    Beth, the first coat of "Perfect Greige " is up.
    Yes, brick is staying.
    latifolia, do you mean replacing the vinyl window trim? Don't know, would we get a return on that in resale?
    Not sure who is most likely to buy house, maybe young family?

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just took some color chips outside to compare to the vinyl surrounding the wood windows; not much difference really in any of them, especially in direct sunlight. I know Pure White is a neutral, how would that look for the wood windows? Around the door? Should all the fascia be white? Garage door? Assuming wrought iron railings stay black?

• kimberleyannemccann
    3 years ago

It is a tough decision! I have enclosed a picture of our home which is very similar in the color of your brick. Our windows are vinyl so they stay the stark white. I just painted my front door which goes so nicely with the color of the brick. All the best in selling....

L thanked kimberleyannemccann
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I used Swiss Coffee on my home and it's pretty white once on the stucco. you can try that one. there's no yellow to it. I also used this Wrought Iron for my trim

I'd for sure do something like this to the garage door. amazon has the Carriage Hardware you can put on the door

some type of large light too

L thanked Beth H. :
  • L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am so greatful for all the wonderful suggestions!

Kimberyannemcann, that is so pretty! May I ask the color of your door? What color is your siding just out of curiousity?

Beth, thank you for all those suggestions! And thanks for sticking with me!

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm choosing Alabaster for the trim, which I believe is a Sherwin William's equivalent to Swiss Coffee. Continuing with Perfect Greige for the siding.
    Perfect Greige on the left. Alabaster on the right.They look awful together on the monitor!
    So:
    Siding = Perfect Greige
    Fascia, windows, back patio porch, underside of porch and balcony on front of house=Alabaster
    Balcony railings = Black?
    Trim around garage= Alabaster
    Garage door= unsure, siding color or trim color?

If I can get them to agree, because it's not in the contract, I'll have them paint the front door Naval! :)

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wait! I just figured out the difference between soffits and fascia. Should the soffits be sane color as siding???

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I gave you a darker gray garage door, along w/some lights and a new address plaque

There is nothing navy at all on your house, so randomly doing the garage doors in Naval would look weird

This is a similar color combo, but you'd want one of the other blues somewhere.

I did some navy here, but really don't care for it. I'd rather see a deep gray/blue.

Here's a black garage door, which I like w/the gray, and your black railing.

Also gave you a choice of two diff address plaques, and a diff door

Red door w/windows, dark gray garage door w/similar windows, carriage hardware, new address

I like this garage door and tried to photoshop it for you w/the blue door.

However, I think I really like this color on the siding, and bronze/gray color of this garage door.

any way you can change your siding color to this one?

I photoshopped it but your current gray siding isn't quite working here.

diff door color

black looks good

i did diff fascia/trim on mine. it all depends.

L thanked Beth H. :
  • houssaon
    3 years ago

Soffits should be white in most cases.

L thanked houssaon
  • L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth, thanks for "painting" my house! Nope, the greige has to stay; I'm calling it cocoa 'cause that's what it looks like. :) LOVE that red door you gave me, and the pretty garage doors!

Took another look at the contract and decided not to add anything; so for now the front door is just getting some some polyurethene. Decided to leave garage door as is for now.

We will probably get a new front door, and maybe a new garage door (or paint it) before we sell.

• L
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Every time I talk about paint colors, I think of the converstion Mrs. Blandings had with the painters in the 1948 movie "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House." If you haven't seen it and you love old movies, it's a gem. Hope you enjoy!

Muriel Blandings : I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green. Now, the dining room. I'd like yellow. Not just yellow; a very gay yellow. Something bright and sunshine-y. I tell you, Mr. PeDelford, if you'll send one of your men to the grocer for a pound of their best butter, and match that exactly, you can't go wrong! Now, this is the paper we're going to use in the hall. It's flowered, but I don't want the ceiling to match any of the colors of the flowers. There's some little dots in the background, and it's these dots I want you to match. Not the little greenish dot near the hollyhock leaf, but the little bluish dot between the rosebud and the delphinium blossom. Is that clear? Now the kitchen is to be white. Not a cold, antiseptic hospital white. A little warmer, but still, not to suggest any other color but white. Now for the powder room - in here - I want you to match this thread, and don't lose it. It's the only spool I have and I had an awful time finding it! As you can see, it's practically an apple red. Somewhere between a healthy winesap and an unripened Jonathan. Oh, excuse me...

Mr. PeDelford : You got that Charlie?

Charlie, Painter : Red, green, blue, yellow, white.

Mr. PeDelford : Check.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040613/characters/nm0001485

• A Seybo
    3 years ago

@Beth H. : I wish you would take a peek at my post. Doing a total house overhaul due to 3000# tree (paint soffit roof etc)

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6002456/raised-red-brick-ranch-siding-color

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

That color looks so much better! Nice job :)

Can you paint the garage doors as well?

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Looks great! Thanks for the update.