Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xyzw2020

Advice please - dog urine smell and hardwood floor dilemma

A Green
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello everyone, please let me know your experience with treating dog urine smell. We bought the house with hardwood floor knowing there was a section of the darkened floors to be replaced before sanding/staining. Unfortunately, it was not the dog pee that occured 13 years ago (as we were told) because the floor was wet (moisture level >30% with being vacant for nearly 3 months) and subfloor was ruined (stain on base plates, joists, basement ceiling...).

We did as much as we can. We ripped off some basement ceiling, replaced two subfloor boards, applied Kiltz (two coats water-based mixing with Lysol and two coats of oil-based). However, when we walked into the house today after being away for two days, we can still smell the faint dog urine smell. We haven't moved in yet. I am debating on whether I should just rip-out and replace the ENTIRE living room floor. I sniffed the floor, there are still certain smelly boards in the living room. We have already replaced 1/4 of the living room floor. Though the damage is in the living room, my neighbor told me that the dog lived in the family room. I went to smell the family room floor, there are a couple of smelly boards, too.

Do you think staining and refinishing the floor would encapsulate the smell? We plan to use water-based floor stain.

Comments (16)

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

That is a whole lot of moisture for being empty for over 3 months. Are you 100 percent positive that you dont have a water leak somewhere, that has activated the urine smell. Is that an exterior wall, in the one picture that shows very wet? Have you gone over that entire floor with a black light, to identify, any other areas?

A Green thanked cat_ky
  • A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi cat_ky, the wall in the picture is an interior wall, right next to the stairs. Yes, there's no water leak, purely just pee. The seller has a large dog. Every floor board we took out is stinky and it even contaminated the trash can. We had three different contractors working in the house. Everyone was complaining and disgusted by the smell. That's why we ripped out the subfloor.

Yes, I scanned the whole area with a black light. For some reason, it doesn't work well on HW floor. It works on the wall. I had to sniff the floors...

• olychick
    3 years ago

What is wrong with people? That poor dog. I hope you find a solution, but it's shocking that anyone would have to be dealing with this.

I had a customer, years ago, who owned a very nice home in a high end neighborhood (they rented after moving to a new home). The renters apparently only moved their dogs into the house and locked each of them into a bedroom, where they allowed/forced those poor dogs to use the hardwoods for their bathrooms. For months. The house was pretty much a tear down after that. Besides the floors the dogs had tried to dig their way out through the bedroom doors.

I know that doesn't help you, but I empathize with you having to deal with this.

• chispa
    3 years ago

While you have stuff opened up, rip out anything that was even remotely affected by the dog pee. Not removing everything will have you unhappy every time the weather changes and you can still detect a trace of the urine smell.

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HI olychick, this is in the a higher-end neighborhood. We gave the seller 3-month closing and let them stay rent-free for 4 days post closing. I can't begin to explain various emotions as I deal with this. When I told my realtor about this, while she was empathetic, she said "well, it's a seller's market..."

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Chispa, I know what you mean, but stains are on the floor joists and the base plate for a structure wall. I can't remove and replace them.

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

“When I told my realtor about this, while she was empathetic, she said "well, it's a seller's market..."

isn’t there some kind of disclosure law that could help here. ? They lied t

• Chessie
    3 years ago

Well that's another red flag for me - no houses that had pets in them! UGH. Thank goodness I am not planning on ever buying another home!

• lyfia
    3 years ago

Look for dog urine enzyme cleaner to use on the areas you can't remove and then shellac after.

A Green thanked lyfia
  • Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

"We gave the seller 3-month closing and let them stay rent-free for 4 days post closing."

Wait --- do you mean that this dog urine damage happened during the 3-month closing and/or rent-free 4 day post-closing period of time?

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Given the high moisture level, I would guess, yes, during the 3 month closing period

• kazzh
    3 years ago

I was advised years ago to wash down with white vinegar to neutralize cat urine, worked a treat! You can only give it a try.....

A Green thanked kazzh
  • Chessie
    3 years ago

Cat urine is completely different than dog urine. It's actually much worse! You can't even GET it out of a carpet. FAHGETABOUT IT. ;-)

• Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

"Given the high moisture level, I would guess, yes, during the 3 month closing period"

I would think that your real estate agent should have suggested this, but have you contacted a real estate attorney to inquire about suing the seller for the cost of all repairs? If you had a signed contract to purchase I would think the seller would have some sort of legal obligation to keep the property in the same, if not better, condition that it was in when you signed the purchase contract. To allow that much dog urine seems willful and deliberate. I'm really sorry you're going through this.