Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeinny

pre-drywall walk questions.

Teddy Bear
3 years ago

During walk through we pointed out low vault and electrical mistakes. We asked for pictures of corrections before drywall installation. We received pictures of sheet rocked home a month after tour and saw that punch list of items never took place. How do we handle this situation? Thank you for your help.

Comments (11)

• lettersatoz
    3 years ago

Hopefully you had the results of the walkthrough documented in an email or some other written communication....if you did, I would simply forward that to the builder along with the pictures showing the corrections were not made, and then follow it up with a phone call right away. Even if you didn't document the results (and please do so going forward), I would still contact them in writing as well as phone so to avoid any further miscommunications. It's possible they could deny that conversation ever took place, but it's certainly worth a shot.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Key words are "right away".

• Teddy Bear
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. We did document and resent email expressing our disappointment. We are waiting on a response.

• lettersatoz
    3 years ago

Expressing your disappointment is something you do here. You're going to need to get a LOT more proactive *there* if you want results. Your email should have also asked what they are planning to do to correct it and when, and letting them know your expectations for a response. Then, when you follow up with a phone call, you should reiterate that this will have your continuing attention until resolved. Being passive about this will only result in more time passing by, which will in turn result in them in saying, well, sorry but it's too late now, everything is in. You must be proactive when building a house - it's just a fact. You can still be polite about it, but don't sit back expecting them to react to your 'disappointment'.....while this may not apply universally, generally, if they cared that much, they would've done it right the first time. Good luck.

• Teddy Bear
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so very much.

• strategery
    3 years ago

@lettersatoz, "this will have your continuing attention until resolved".

LOL, I think this my new favorite expression. I love it.

• Teddy Bear
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. I appreciate your help beyond words.

We are doing this build at a distance so the distance situation is not in our favor

The verbal response I got was.... we have a lot of closings going on. We have not heard from them today.

• Teddy Bear
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Today, I will put another email together incorporating your suggestions! Thank you again. Unfortunately, I do not suggest a distance building for anyone.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Email, with read receipts, every other day, then if nothing after a few days, every day. Squeaky wheel gets the grease but unfortunately they more than likely have you over a barrel where you cannot even really threaten to not close and there is sure to be something in the contract for that potential issue.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

"I do not suggest a distance building for anyone."

That is when a good local architect comes in handy.

• strategery
    3 years ago

I agree with avoiding distance building. However, that's what we did, cross-country, and it worked out well.

I loved our small custom builder, particularly the foreman. We chatted regularly and they posted many photos. We visited the site every 6 weeks over almost 12 months. For our build, I did a lot of homework and knew what I wanted in most cases. Sure, we had issues, as expected, but we worked through them and I felt everybody was working together towards a common goal.

Having said that, the experience was stressful and challenging. I would not do it again despite the good result.