Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanniechl

(formal) living room help.

Jeannie B
3 years ago

Hello. Looking for advice. I aloready put a paid hold on this large piece but I have anothern24-48 hours to change my mind before I arrange delivery for it. Dimensions are appx 113x76x18.

I intend to get rid of the buffet that is there now, but for visual comparison it is appx 75x32x20. My wall is 159x96. (Please ignore the black cart in the corner. We had to modify things for home office...)

Does it go in my space? Specifically is it too big or small for this wall? And does the style go with what I have already. I’m not opposed to changing the hardware if it would make a difference. Typically both chairs are opposite the couch, but we had to rearrange for the Christmas tree*

Not sure if the pictures represent, but the Walls are a light grey and the chesterfield is like a cream/light taupe. Rug and side chairs are Greige and white. Pardon the mess.

The

Comments (13)

• Carolae
    3 years ago

Oh no. Too rustic and not elegant at all, in my opinion. The buffet you already have is more visually appealing and adds warmth to the room.

Jeannie B thanked Carolae
  • latifolia
    3 years ago

What would be the purpose of this behemoth? It doesn't look like you have a lot of "stuff" to put away. Agree with Carol that what you have now looks much nicer.

Jeannie B thanked latifolia
  • tedbixby
    3 years ago

I think you know what the answer is since you are hear asking us and you are hoping that we'll say it works when you know that it won't-lol. I'd put the money into a new floor lamp and a side table with a lamp next to the sofa instead.

Jeannie B thanked tedbixby
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

I really like how your lovely buffet looks in there and wouldn’t replace it with the cabinet. I do think it’s too large, yes, and just not in keeping with the gracious vibe of your room (nor a good contender for mixing styles).

Jeannie B thanked Jilly
  • suedonim75
    3 years ago

The buffet is way better than the cabinet.

Jeannie B thanked suedonim75
  • User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I actually love the looks of the large cabinet and think it could be very striking in your pretty room. I appear to be the outlier here, but I tend to like the unusual and unexpected, and like it when the not-as-safe option is chosen.

If you do go with the large piece, you might reconsider the tall pieces at the other end of the room though.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

i actually like the buffet better.

this isn't bad, but it washes out the rest of the room. very monotone.

with the buffet, hang that art horizontally, clear off the small frames, and put a tall plant in the corner

Jeannie B thanked Beth H. :
  • Jeannie B
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you all, I really value your opinions. I was attracted to this piece bc it is large, and would solve my issue with what to do with the buffet and that back wall. I was originally considering a trio of mirrors (arches maybe?) but my husband never liked the buffet and I thought this would make the decorating decision easier. I do like the buffet. I bought it from a fancy thrift shop in NYC over 15 years ago and have moved it with me to at least 4 living spaces!!! But with this white room I thought it was too much darkness with the black top. Although... in the pics I posted I see how it actually pulls in the colors of the wood floors and that looks nice. And it holds quite a bit of my "junk", hidden away. The white piece has a lot of drawers, and I considered frosting the glass to hide more junk. But I agree... it seems too rustic for the rest of the room... and since its such a big heavy piece, it would cost about 600$ to move therefore not an easy return if I change my mind.

That being said, can you now suggest something for that back wall that incorporates the buffet. I really don't care for the picture there now and was thinking some sort of mirror trio??? Arched maybe. My husband is the picture frame culprit. I clear it off and he keeps putting them back :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

clear out the things on the sides and do a tall plant

maybe another like this

get a photo album for the pictures and put it on the coffee table

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

OK....so, a new design dilemma? How to make your current, lovely buffet work to its fullest potential???! Beth H. gives some wonderful examples, above. The room needs more energy to compliment the buffet which is, by the way, smashing! New, vibrant art. More interesting (non matching?) lamps. More colorful, patterned (?) chairs (do you have a kitty?), etc. Your room has a lot of potential.

• Jeannie B
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I'd say no to the mirrors. you need some art and color on that wall.

and those large silver mirrors in the first pic are completely the wrong design for your room. You need a very tall ceiling

the diamond one, meh. You could put them on another wall.

the buffet and wall behind yours is the main focal point of the room. make it worthwhile

I posted a ton of examples.