Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deborah_denny29

Experience with SKS 48 inch range or other thoughts?

Deborah Denny
3 years ago

We are looking at appliances for a new kitchen and are willing to try just about anything except Thermador (just personal preference after 10 years’ experience). I have 3 hungry tween/teens and cook daily and bake almost daily. Ideally, I’d love a double oven with one being steam combi, which would be a new/fun thing for me. Since that doesn’t seem to be a readily available thing, I was playing with ideas like 36 inch Wolf dual fuel range plus single Miele steam combi wall oven, etc. But then our friendly showroom gentleman presented all the bells and whistles of the SKS 48 inch range gas and induction steam combi double oven. Wow! I’m new here but I don’t think SKS (LG) gets a lot of love in these forums. That’s fine. I still wanted to ask...and just in case anyone DOES have experience with SKS I’d love to hear about it. Or any thoughts or advice to share as I break off from Thermador and branch out to try steam combi in the new kitchen. Thanks in advance!

https://www.signaturekitchensuite.com/us/products/ranges/48-inch-dual-fuel-pro-range-sous-vide-and-induction

Comments (9)

• c9pilot
    3 years ago

Most people here will not recommend a 48” range for home cooks (and there’s even a home caterer as well), so you really need to figure out if that will even work in your kitchen and be worth the extra expense. Plus you‘re putting all your cooking into one appliance - keep your fingers crossed that it never breaks. And all your cooking in one space, which could be fine if you literally never get help in the kitchen.

Keep in mind that you will need at the very minimum, a 54” range hood, but 60” would be far better, and the expense of that.

I like your range plus wall oven solution better.

Deborah Denny thanked c9pilot
  • Abhi K
    3 years ago

I've just started doing my own research for appliances for a complete kitchen remodel. My understanding so far is that SKS is LG's attempt to enter the premium appliance segment, like Samsung has done by purchasing Dacor.

However, neither of the brands have the same pedigree for professional appliances like your Wolf, SubZ, Miele, Thermador etc. They are better for mid-lower price points. TBH, when I first heard about SKS, I thought they'd be in the same price range as Bertazzoni, Fischer and Paykel etc, but I was shocked to see they were so expensive! At that price point, noone will want to take a chance with LGs experiment at entering this segment, especially with unproven reliability record. Bells and whistles tend to sell better at the lower segments, which this one generally favors function over form.

If you have a similar budget, then I'd recommend going with Miele. They're a little too expensive for me, with not too many rebates etc, but they're built solid and to last. They also have a more unique look, which may not be everyone's taste.

Deborah Denny thanked Abhi K
  • Deborah Denny
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just couldn't seem to find anyone with any experience with that SKS - here, or anywhere. Blogs, reviews, nada. Too expensive to be the test case! And I did have the worry that you said c9pilot about the all-in-one sitch if something broke. We are doing the 36 Wolf range and a Miele CSO on the wall. I won't get to try that gas *and* induction feature in the SKS, but I will make it through ;) Thanks for the feedback!

• deb68
    2 years ago

Like the original poster, I'm interested in learning more about SKS appliances, including their 48" range, but wary given the lack of user experiences online. I've had a new Wolf 36" DF in my prior home and now need to do complete kitchen over hall, to include replacing a 20 yr-old 48" Thermador Pro gas range that came with the home we bought 5 years ago. We haven't had any issues with this Thermador or the prior Wolf range. I've read up on the Wolf issues with blue enamel chipping and also know they are releasing new models with their VertiCross convection, and hopefully also addressing the prior issue.

If I go with a 48" (not committed to that totally yet), I've narrowed it down to the SKS, Thermador and Miele given the similar features. I saw the Thermador and Miele in person but haven't seen the SKS. I only want/need 4 burners, like the steam or steam-assist (Miele), appreciate the warming drawers (Therm/Miele), like the induction and curious about sous vide (both SKS). Miele's Master Chef interface gets a lot of praise and both Therm/SKS have connectivity. We've already pushed our renovation out 9-10 months to account for product availability across the board.

Given this high-stakes, appliance bingo, I'm stuck in analysis paralysis. And honestly my initial instinct was to replace the 48" tank (that's what it looks like to me!) with the more modern look of a smaller 36" DF - or even a range top or induction cooktop - paired with wall oven(s), especially the Miele CSO. In the long run though I think it would cost more to purchase and install separate pieces versus simply removing and replacing the 48", knowing I'd need the electrical upgrade to 240V regardless to support DF and/or wall oven(s).

Deborah - how do you like your 36" Wolf paired with the Miele CSO?

And is there anyone who has tried SKS and willing to share their experience? Or has been to their "Signature Kitchen Suite Experience & Design Center" in Napa, CA?

• Tracy
    2 years ago

Hemang thanks for this info - we are considering the SKS 48” range top that includes sous vide + gas + induction to pair with our existing Bosch double ovens (incl convention). My only reservation is the size of the 48” range top taking up so much counter space & the relative newness of SKS to the market. What size hood liner do you have? Our appliance store quoted 48” custom hood liner with 600 CFM blower.

• Jane Rice
    2 years ago

Tracy, I'[m considering doing something similar, though possibly with Miele ovens. The hood you were quoted sounds (perhaps) small and underpowered based on what I've read. Maybe not if your primary cooking will be on the induction unit. I believe Yale Appliance has a good tutorial on hood capacities and how to estimate what you need.

• Mary Lloyd
    2 years ago

“Analysis paralysis” is the best description! I’m stuck between Dacor, SKS, Hestan (has anyone had experience with this brand?) and Viking. I like the idea of pairing induction with gas, like Fisher Paykel has done (but their appliances seem not-sturdy). And how long does it take to retrain yourself to cook if you switch over to induction and/or soup vide from all gas? And tell me, do we like the idea of all electric controls or in ten years will we wish we had stuck with knobs and dials (like has happened with the washing machines)?

• Froggy Montie
    2 months ago

Here’s a blog that has been very helpful. They review all 48” ranges. https://blog.yaleappliance.com/miele-vs.-sks-48-inch-professional-dual-fuel-ranges