Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_602159860

Are these counter tops out of date or too busy??

Rachel Martin
3 years ago

We are building a new home and I can’t help but think the counter tops we chose is too busy.. this is regular Formica.. I am regretting my decisions and wishing I would have done something minimalistic

and maybe with marbling. Not sure what to do now...

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Is this your kitchen now? (or is this another home showing us what you got?)

what's going on the floor?

hardware?

I don't thin it looks bad at all. It's similar to Alaska White granite.

had you planned on doing a backsplash? With your piece already up the wall, it's not advisable.

if it isn't integrated into the countertop, you could remove it and do a subway tile.

Since it is laminate, why not wait until you move in and take your time looking for something else?

Go visit stone yards and do your research on certain products.

Rachel Martin thanked Beth H. :
  • defever
    3 years ago

I think they will hide the toast crumbs wonderfully! But on a serious note, I would keep the backsplash very simple (i.e., subway tiles, or simply paint).

Rachel Martin thanked defever
  • herbflavor
    3 years ago

You obviously picked one of the options presented to you. I think it’s fine. Get all situated w the completion and move and in some time you can change a few things as you so desire. It looks good : not busy/ not boring either.

Rachel Martin thanked herbflavor
  • Fori
    3 years ago

It's busy but not in a bad way. Looks good!

Rachel Martin thanked Fori
  • Rachel Martin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is our home (still being completed) the flooring is covered with just cardboard for now while the builders are inside working still. The flooring is vinyl wood look

• Rachel Martin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the responses. I may be over thinking it.. first time building and i suck at decisions!!! any suggestions on what color kitchen table to go with?

• tdemonti
    3 years ago

Trust yourself. It looks classic to me, I seriously considered Formica when we remodeled 2 years ago. Went with Corian for the color. Hopefully you'll be busy using the kitchen soon and never give it another thought.

Rachel Martin thanked tdemonti
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    3 years ago

I like it. Not too busy. Take a deep breath, exhale, relax. As they say, "You done good"!

Rachel Martin thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • roarah
    3 years ago

I like the light color and I never would have guessed it was laminate. You new kitchen is lovely.

Rachel Martin thanked roarah
  • megs1030
    3 years ago

I think it looks pretty! All these decisions can be overwhelming, just take it one step at a time. You’re doing a great job!

Rachel Martin thanked megs1030
  • RedRyder
    3 years ago

I like the countertop too.

Rachel Martin thanked RedRyder
  • dani_m08
    3 years ago

Countertop is fine! I would listen to the advice you’ve received re: removing the 4” extension on the wall and installing a tile backsplash instead.

Rachel Martin thanked dani_m08
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Remove the counter material little backsplash and do a nice tile in a color from the counter . IMO a lot more interesting than all the marble look counters that will soon be a "dated" look.

Rachel Martin thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Alicia Smith
    3 years ago

I agree with several others to remove that little bit of laminate on the wall and do a simple, timeless backsplash like a white subway tile. That will tone down the counters and then I think you’ll love them! Congrats on your home btw!

Rachel Martin thanked Alicia Smith
  • Mark Maslack
    3 years ago

I am just finishing a semi-custom townhouse with pool, spa, and steam room and know about decisions.

I think it would look great to remove the 4" backsplash and carry the countertop up to the cabinets as the backsplash.

As for kitchen table, I learned to keep the number of different "large" elements in a room to 3, maybe 4. My first choice for kitchen table would be a glass top. But not knowing your family, black or a dark colour that is represented in the countertops would be my second choice.

Keeping in mind the element of 3 rule, the colours used in your kitchen are already dictated by your choice of countertop and backsplash (assuming you decide to listen to my advice) so using a wall colour that is in the countertop would look great. I see many different shades of grey that would look fantastic as the wall colour or one of the browns.

Whatever you choose, keep elements/colours together and complementary. The wood floor should stay only on the floor, do not bring it up to the dining table, you may feel like you are eating on the floor. When picking wall color, don't be afraid to get 3 different shades, paint 3 stripes on at least 2 different walls and live with them for a couple of days. You should then know what one you like best. If not, pick 3 more colors in the same color family and repeat.

Your choice of countertop isn't wrong. You only need help pulling the other elements together so the package looks coherent, comfortable, warm and makes you happy.

Good luck

Rachel Martin thanked Mark Maslack
  • stillpitpat
    3 years ago

I do not like busy, and I like your countertop choice!

Rachel Martin thanked stillpitpat
  • kculbers
    3 years ago

I like your choices. I was surprised to hear the countertop is laminate: looks great! Your color scheme is classic and neutral. I like the backdrop of a white wall too. Enjoy your kitchen!

Rachel Martin thanked kculbers
  • User
    3 years ago

I really like it a lot. It reminds me of my granite - which I love. I realize it's just a picture but I wouldn't have known that wasn't a "real" granite if you hadn't said it was Formica.

You're at the tough part where things are starting to come together, and the picture that is unfolding may look different than what you saw in your mind.

However I think your choices so far are beautiful. :)

Edited to add - i also don't have the hatred for the 4" backsplash that so many others have. When you have a busy counter, finding a good non-competing backsplash is hard. I've seen far too many kitchens who left off the "dated" 4 inch splash and then chose the worst, God-awful, clashing tile one could have ever imagined as their backsplash. I submit better to have the "dated" 4 inch splash that some of that visual horror. :)

Rachel Martin thanked User
  • RedRyder
    3 years ago

I agree with all those who said to remove the 4” piece and install a neutral, classic tile backsplash from cabinets to countertop. A white tile in arabesque would be simple with a twist. White subway tile in a herringbone installation would also work. It will make the room feel much more finished if you do that.

Rachel Martin thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

I think it looks ok.

Rachel Martin thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • krystalmoon2009
    3 years ago

and if you can't remove 4" backsplash, it really is not a big deal. I tiled my backsplash down to my 4" laminate backsplash and it looks fine to me, but I also don't care to keep up or spend unneccessary money to be on trend.

Rachel Martin thanked krystalmoon2009
  • Rachel Martin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for the advice And encouragement!

• cupofkindnessgw
    3 years ago

I love your countertops! Like someone said upthread, I don't like busy but I love that look!

Rachel Martin thanked cupofkindnessgw
  • Rachel Martin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If anyone has an help with a kitchen table that would be great... I can’t seem to envision what would look right.. thank you in advance :)

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Does this room extend also into the familyroom? Or is it just kitchen and dining?

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

My formica is bold, bolder than yours and I love it and anyone new to the home comments how they love it

It adds personality to the kitchen. You made the right choice. Mine is 6 years old and I went with the 4 inch on the back and tiled above it. Usually it is one solid piece and cannot be removed. The back really keeps the crud from getting on the grout and caulking, making cleaning so much easier.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

not sure where the table is going, but based just on the kitchen decor and your flooring, any of these would prob work

If you're doing a built in or if the table is going near a wall, I love the settee idea for a breakfast nook

you could do a darker table to play off the cabs or the granite (but I'd keep things light around it like shown here, and using a gray/white settee or bench. )

I love this one. the bench, the rug, the lighter table and darker chairs, and the woven pendants

maybe a oval white table. I like the black,/white walls, warm rug, woven wood blinds

jute or sisal rug, lighter wood base, and a marble top

Rachel Martin thanked Beth H. :