Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dimitra_bizos

What do you think of this 1st floor plan? Half-duplex.

Nancy Smith
3 years ago

Building a duplex - thoughts on our first floor, one side?

Comments (9)

• bpath
    3 years ago

You‘re planning a 60” 8-burner range in a duplex? Are you a caterer?

Where will the dishes be stored? Will they be convenient to the dishwasher?

Where is the car parking?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

The entire second floor is the formal dining room.

• 3onthetree
    3 years ago

This is set up for some huuuuuuge dinner parties. I can't see how there will be anywhere, prior to eating or afterwards, to house that many people the kitchen is set up to handle.

Blunt first thoughts:

You have some very specific needs that I'm sure are creating some hardships in laying out a plan, but this plan is not that great. The duplex is 53'-9", but your half is 30'? How does the other half look where your open entry is against? The "MudRm" (Laundry) - can't wait til this !@#$ barn door fad expires - should be grouped with the PowderRm and Mech Rm in a more secluded circulation route, e.g. nice for someone to excuse themself from the dinner and roaring fire to take 3 steps to the bathroom and bloviate sounds to the rest of the dinner party. BTW your mechanical room, if that is it for the house, is waaaaay too small and the electrical panel cannot fit there. The open 2-story area next to the stair relates to no design lines and has created a "no man's land" in the FamilyRm, what is going there, a grand piano? What is the site condition?

• bpath
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It looks like the other side of the duplex is not a mirror image, not lined up with the front. So it might be nice to swap the stairs and Laundry. You can bump into the open area to keep the stairs the same, and extend the laundry into the stairs’ old space For a skosh more room there. Oh, and swap the washer and dryer. And it’s nice to come down the stairs to a bit more open space, not a wall. Easier for furniture, too. All of this depends, of course, on the upstairs.

• fissfiss
    3 years ago

If I was cooking a lot on a 60”range, I would want two dishwashers and a much bigger sink.

• 3onthetree
    3 years ago

It looks like the other side of the duplex is not a mirror image

Obviously, but fitting space needs in 30' width is very difficult, fitting them in a leftover 24' for the other side would be even more difficult.

• Nancy Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Being a Greek family, we have large gatherings regular. What normally happens is that people group around the whole house - so I was creating hang out areas - living room, kitchen and dining room - plus kids upstairs. Some tend to stay in the dining room and play poker.... some tend to hang around the kitchen and drink, while others lounge in the TV area drinking and talking as well. We are not permitted to do a basement :(. That being said, the other side is the same square footage and almost the same exterior lines... but they will not be mirror images. Each side will have its own mechanical system. Upstairs each side permitted is 700 Sq. Ft. Absolute annoyance but can’t change it. We will also have a separate garage - not attached to the house. Our staircase is kind of fixed - wish we could flip it but then effects the second floor layout.

Yes - agree sink should be larger. DW next to it.

Yes - we have tons of storage for plates and stuff. Regular stuff will be stored in island drawers and kitchen drawers. All entertainment stuff in babe walk through area, and in the pantry a section of pans, and kitchen electronic devices.

I initially wanted the powder room else where but it did not work :( I had the same concerns you did - what if we sound proof it? Think that would work... or at least minimize?

Yes, thought about two DW too... we are still on the fence... but we can add it in as we get closer to start framing.

Not on the plans yet - but was thinking of stacking the W&D thought?

No mans land - initially some of the kids toys but as they get older, I want to create a reading nook.

Not a mirror image on the other side, but same exterior layout. Each side can have 1300 sq ft on main and 700 Sq ft on 2nd floor. City rules are turning out to be crazy and honestly make no sense.

• bpath
    3 years ago

We have a bathroom that backs up to the living room, and absolutely can’t hear when someone is in there. And if you have company over, with talking etc, no one will hear a thing,

• 3onthetree
    3 years ago

2000sf is large for a duplex. I do not know the site constraints, but I would be exploring flipping the entry to the other side, or even a side entry, and utilize the wasted SF that is sitting against the other half. Inside that flips the FamilyRm, Kitchen, and Dining, the only thing dictating the Kitchen is massive commercial exhaust that should exit directly out an exterior wall.

So basically, start over.