Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_983750514

Big hexagons kitchen backsplash. What do you think?

Cyndi Fine
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Trying out tiles for kitchen backsplash wall.

What do you think?

This is not our kitchen we have more open shelves.I think I might love it 😊

What are your thoughts?

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6082202/kitchen-backsplash-subway-tile-and-hex another post

Comments (39)

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

I like it, as a statement when it goes all the way to the ceiling to appreciate the size of the tiles...but why was the pattern disrupted around the stovetop area?

Cyndi Fine thanked Mrs. S
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

More shelves - how many? might be a busy look.

Cyndi Fine thanked everdebz
  • Melissa R
    3 years ago

I like it! totally different without being crazy

Cyndi Fine thanked Melissa R
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

This is not for me. Firstly, not usually a fan of grout lines as design elements. Secondly, don't find this kitchen harmonious because there are too many lines "competing" between the wall tiles and the floor. I would tire of this backsplash fairly quickly. Obviously, YMMV. My opinion means zilch. :) Looking at this pic again and the pattern change around the stovetop (great eye Mrs. S.), I wonder if this is wallpaper, not tile.

Cyndi Fine thanked tartanmeup
  • vinmarks
    3 years ago

Big nope for me.

Cyndi Fine thanked vinmarks
  • localeater
    3 years ago

Big tile can be a yes, hexagons can be a yes, but big hexagons seems like too much to me. And you want color too, so that’s another component that your photo doesn’t show.

I found these blue hex images, that have smaller tiles, I like these more than what you posted. What else do you have going on in your kitchen? Good design is about balance.

Cyndi Fine thanked localeater
  • megs1030
    3 years ago

In the right space, maybe. I do agree that the backsplash competes with the floor and I also do not understand why it was disrupted around the stove. That jumped out at me right away.

Cyndi Fine thanked megs1030
  • Melissa R
    3 years ago

it's not an actual picture of the kitchen! it's a computer mock-up

Cyndi Fine thanked Melissa R
  • julieste
    3 years ago

Not for me. I don't like the contrasting grout lines that make this jump out.

Cyndi Fine thanked julieste
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

Unfortunately, am not fond of it. The tile is just out of scale with the rest of the room. Am also not fond of the grout color. The pattern is distracting especially in conjunction with the highly patterned flooring.

Cyndi Fine thanked Norwood Architects
  • HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I personally think you can find a lot better. Is it ugly? Is it terrible? No! But I wouldn’t settle for less. Especially in such a pretty kitchen.

Cyndi Fine thanked HU-187528210
  • Cyndi Fine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes Melissa R your are right! 😊

Used a tile visuslizer not exact.

Thanks for input to all.

• flopsycat1
    3 years ago

That’s a very nice kitchen, although, agreed , the open shelves have a lot going on. I would simplify. If you decide to go ahead with the white hexagon tiles, I’d suggest a less contrasting grout, perhaps a very light grey. Hexagons with contrasting grout, along with the open shelves, is just too busy.

Cyndi Fine thanked flopsycat1
  • sartarehare
    3 years ago

It’s busy and the hexagon doesn‘t belong there stylistically. it should be a simple pattern like subway in this case

Cyndi Fine thanked sartarehare
  • Noelle D
    3 years ago

Too busy and big for me too...

Cyndi Fine thanked Noelle D
  • lucky998877
    3 years ago

I would paint your open shelves either black or white, then re-evaluate the backsplash situation. There is a lot going on, painted shelves would calm things down a bit.

Cyndi Fine thanked lucky998877
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

Another no. I would like it for a day or two then the novelty would wear off and it would get on my nerves.

Cyndi Fine thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • chispa
    3 years ago

For me, the scale of a pattern in a kitchen works if you can actually see a fair amount of whole tiles. In your mock-up there are barely a few full size tiles on that top row, which is what makes the whole thing look chopped up and odd looking.

Looking at photos in your kitchen, I would try to find a slightly smaller hexagon and use the same color grout.

Cyndi Fine thanked chispa
  • User
    3 years ago

A smaller hexagon, sure. That’s just too big.

Cyndi Fine thanked User
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

I agree to go smaller. But for me the counter and shelves are the stars of your kitchen. You don’t think another element competing for the crown.

Your kitchen is fabulous. Don’t go over board just because you can.

Cyndi Fine thanked eld6161
  • pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago

This looks like a rendering not a real kitchen for starters. But that said, I think the hex is out of proportion and looks comical rather than whimsical. I do like hex tiles in a more medium size for backsplash.

Cyndi Fine thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Sammie J
    3 years ago

Like the look of tile but I'd try to match the grout to the tile - I don't like the grout to be the focal point of the kitchen.

Cyndi Fine thanked Sammie J
  • m_barth
    3 years ago

Not a designer. I'm redoing my kitchen in a similar white up/dark below color scheme, although my white quartz counters are more plain than yours. I think I'll be going with a white tile and it feels SO uncreative to go with plain old subway. But... it's popular for a reason I suppose - and not just because people are sheep. I wish I liked the large format hex tile in yours, but something doesn't feel right. I see a sample of smaller hex tile to the left of your kitchen, but I'm not sure that's right either. Maybe would like better with a light grout? I do think your counters are really great and a busy tile might take away from them. I like your wooden shelves because they bring some warmth of the floor up on the walls.

Cyndi Fine thanked m_barth
  • Jeanne J
    3 years ago

I think you will like it at first then quickly tire of it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

You already have way too much going on on those walls to add another busy thing IMO is avery bad idea.. I think hex tiles belong on the floor and the pic you posted looks excatly like the tile should have been on the floor.

Cyndi Fine thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

I know I would get tired of the busy and overpowering look of the grout lines, but that’s me.

I wanted to show a similar style with lighter grout:

Or just doing an accent (using the big hex, just showing placement idea here):

But I think smaller tiles would look so much better and stay a timeless background for any future decor changes ... as well as highlight your gorgeous counters instead of push them aside.

Cyndi Fine thanked Jilly
  • Cyndi Fine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Jinx, :) How fun that you looked up other backsplash.

What is funny is that this has taken me over a year beause I don't want to detract from the counter and other pieces. White smaller hexes have were on my list.

I have learned it seems I am even more unusual here then I already knew, about likig busy.

I love the dark grout lines ;) haha. I love that there is one with the large tiles on the wall, demonstrating they are not just for the floor ;)

Big thanks!

• Cyndi Fine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all :)

• newkitchenny55
    3 years ago

Is that annicca countertops? Thats what I'm getting installed and I'm so excited. It looks gorgeous. I'm planning to do an elongated hex

Birmingham 4" x 8" Ceramic Subway Tile & Reviews | AllModern · More Info

: https://www.tilebar.com/manchester-hexagon-bianco-4x8-ceramic-tile.html So maybe a bit smaller but still big and geometric? I think I'm going to do with a medium grout to help define but not be quite as dark as the first picture..

Cyndi Fine thanked newkitchenny55
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

The pattern has it's place in the kitchen as long as it's perfectly executed.

Cyndi Fine thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Boxerpal
    3 years ago

It is not my style but if this is something you would love I think it could work for you. I do like @Jilly's ideas of white grout seems more soothing less busy.

Cyndi Fine thanked Boxerpal
  • Cyndi Fine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

/newkitchenny55. Yes! Exciting!

I love that you know exactly what you are going to do! 😊 I considered the elongated hex abit, maybe I will look again ;)

Probably going with lighter grout. Even though I love darker grout,I have to consider all the parts involved ;)

Best!

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Have you thought of doing actual mockups with your tile? One with light grout and one with dark? So that you can see a glimpse of how it would look in your actual space? Digital mockups are one thing. People's opinions, another. Sometimes it's a good idea to do an actual "tile run" with grouted tiles on boards to see for one's self, in one's space.

• newkitchenny55
    3 years ago

@Cyndi Fine Ive been thinking about this for 2 years since we were waiting on permits last March and then covid happened. But I'm definitely second guessing everything. We're supposed to get started this month, so trying to get as many ducks in a row as I can because we're renovating 2 baths, a kitchen which is doubling in size, and adding a powder room and a dormer to fit the office we're removing on the first floor. Its all so overwhelming. I think as long as you love what you go with it will be perfect for you. I was second guessing my countertop decision, then saw your pic and it made me smile, so I think the shows me its the right decision.

• Cyndi Fine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

tartanmeup ;) Interesting thought to do board with them grouted. :)

newktichenny55 I get it :) Actually, I am so thankful the one and only absolute decision I knew from the first time I saw it was my countertop. and, I love love it! ;)

This tile decision is driving me a bit crazy :)

Boxerpal thanks! PRO

BeverlyFLADeziner perfectly executed is always the thing :) Working on that

• newkitchenny55
    3 years ago

If you like the big hex, but your other post shows you're thinking subway what about a big subway? I'm doing this one in the boys bath https://www.lowes.com/pd/Anatolia-Tile-Hudson-Brilliant-White-Glossy-8-in-x-24-in-Glossy-Ceramic-Wall-Tile/1001038722 (With a double hex accent that I love but is discontinued) Tile bar also has a whole bunch of geometric white tiles

• Cyndi Fine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Funny, I was just trying larger tiles in the visualizer. :)

• Beth Allen
    3 years ago

elongated hex

Cyndi Fine thanked Beth Allen