linnea56chgo5b

Weird growth on overwintered hosta? What to do?

This is a mini hosta that belongs to my daughter. She is overwintering it in her basement storage closet. She grows her hostas in pots on her deck. But she lives in an apartment, so has limited places to overwinter hostas.

This looks to me like it broke dormancy way too early. I overwinter mine in my attached garage, so this is new to me, and I don’t know what to suggest she do now. Mine don’t really wake up until it’s almost time to put the pots outside.

It’s been unseasonably warm, temperatures in the 40’s for a week. It will be even warmer in a few days. But it will undoubtedly get cold again.

I was going to suggest she put it in a sheltered place outside, like under the deck, at least until it gets really cold again. But I don’t know if this is the right approach for a plant that has broken dormancy, and if it will get shocked.

Thanks.