Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erasmus_gw

Comparing Lady of the Mist with Reconciliation

erasmus_gw
3 years ago

I'm thinking about buying one of these. They look pretty similar, both were bred by Harkness, and are fragrant but Reconciliation seems to have bigger blooms in more of a hybrid tea form. Which one makes the strongest, most disease resistant plant?

Comments (13)

• Nippstress Nebraska z5
    3 years ago

This is only marginally related to what you want to know but I'll start the comments. I have planted both of these, but over time I have realized that Harkness roses tend not to be hardy at all for me. Lady of the Mist has survived about 5 years and blooms sometimes. In my world, for a Harkness rose, that's an indication that she's stronger. Reconciliation has never overwintered.

DIsease resistance in GA is another question and something only people in your zone can answer.

In my yard, Savoy Hotel blows them both out of the water for size, vigor, blooming and of course - hardiness. Just FWIW - the color isn't as intriguing as the other two you mention.

Cynthia

erasmus_gw thanked Nippstress Nebraska z5
  • erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Cynthia. I decided to try Reconciliation because RU is sold out of Lady of the MIst and I have an order for two others with them. It does seem that LOTM is more vigorous. MIght try it another time. I have a Savoy Hotel in the ground but it hasn't taken off yet. If you are Nippstress, I probably got my Savoy Hotel plant from a cutting from you!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

I have reconciliation but it’s new and I can’t comment on it yet! It looked beautiful on heirloom website, so I bought it . I can’t wait to see it bloom!

erasmus_gw thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

I tried several harkness roses (including reconciliation) from years ago -- before the new owners took over. None of them took off for me, and none are currently in my garden. But I was eyeing reconciliation again recently...so will look forward to hearing your reports! I have one Harkness in my yard that is an amazing rose. I got it from Jackson and Perkins about 2000. It's a climber, High Hopes. It has been on a slope, competing with an oak tree, and neglected for more years than not. It's the only rose I have left that is not in a gopher wire cage. I guess the roots are thick and big and unattractive to the little varmints...so far, knock on rose wood! The rose is always healthy, blooms, and is just delightful. The only drawback is that it's not fragrant. This year I decided to try to train it. We'll see how it does with that. So far I see lots of laterals coming up, so good sign!

erasmus_gw thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
  • B R
    3 years ago

I planted a Lady of the Mist about midsummer 2020. It was an OR from Heirloom. It did not take off but is still alive and putting on some green. So far stems are weak. The problems could be due to many environmental things rather than the rose so I would not be harsh in judging it, also it is still a newbie. We have a long grow season but still we had that hard winter. I will note that other roses from Heirloom planted at the same time did take off better.

Judith grows Lady of Mist successfully I believe, maybe she will chime in.

Such a pretty rose I am still hoping she will perform.... she does like to climb some, a bonus for me in her location.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Where are you located BR? Could you put that by your name so your reports could be taken in context of your location.

2 years ago

@Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca - any updates on your reconciliation rose?

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My Reconciliation is still in a pot but has beautiful , strong, fresh growth and has had a some gorgeous blooms with an intoxicating fragrance. So far I'm glad I bought this one.

2 years ago

Deborah, I’m sorry I don’t have any good pics ! I have had the worst budworm infestation ever . I just checked on it and again , my buds are damaged . Do you know if this passes or should I treat it ? I did buy stuff to treat it but was hoping the plague would just end before I use a chemical on it . Seems if I do get a good bloom on anything, I find a worm in it a day later . Is anyone else battling these things ?

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    2 years ago

Jen, Budworms…that sucks! Bacillus thuringiensis, or Bt, is organic gardening approved and kills all caterpillars that ingest it. So it must be sprayed on the new buds before the eggs hatch and the caterpillars emerge. Probably need to spray every week until they are gone. You can get it at any gardening center. Do you have a 1-2 gallon pump up sprayer to easily spray all your roses? I know you have quite a few roses. I actually use one designed for mosquitoes since it has a finer mist. Chapin 2014 1-Gallon Specialty Mosquito Sprayer 2014, 1-Gallon (1 Sprayer/Package) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009KM2DY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_oBWIERycVDSNf

2 years ago

Thank you Stephanie! I actually have some here, un used :( lol ! I will see if I can spray it in a spray bottle I have on hand . The worms are so bad , paired with the heat , everything looks awful .

Deborah, I did have a bloom spared to share. I don’t love the fragrance tho , I can’t describe it but it not great , to me. Very musky . And remember it’s 100 here plus my patio and not the biggest pot but here’s some pics .

2 years ago

Thanks, Lilyfinch -- I trust your evaluations! I was thinking of you the other day. Probably one of THE healthiest bushes for me this year is Arctic Blue. The color is pleasant, the fragrance is pleasant. I don't LOVE the flowers, but I LIKE them. And because it's so healthy and reliably re-blooming, I would not want to take it out...but if I was desperate for that space, I guess I would... Which is kind of what you said about your own Arctic Blue! So - more evidence that you and I are kindred spirits in terms of the gardening, and I trust your opinions.

I passed on Reconciliation from Heirloom, largely because I have no room and now have several roses in pots that I have to find places for -- and by find places -- make new places (HOW??) as they are all big and/or climbers:

Butterscotch

April Love

St. Elisabeth of Hungary

Generous Gardener

Mel's Heritage

No idea how this will play out. I've put them all in pots for now -- something I said I didn't want to do! I don't want a "pot ghetto" !!! But, I decided to wait and see blooms before deciding on where to put them all...