Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sautesmom

Perfume Factory, Fun In The Sun and Golden Opportunity

These 3 are new for me this year. 1 in pot, 2 in grounds.
All are growing well (but all are VERY thorny so far!!)
Does anyone have experience with these in heat??
Carla in Sac

Comments (27)

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    3 years ago

I don’t own any of them, but I want to hear what people say.

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sautesmom,

Could you give us more information about your roses? Do you know their names or information on the tags of them? Where did you get them from? Please show photos of all 3 roses.

I have had in past 100 roses grown in CA. sun. ( I now live in NY.) My roses in CA were easy to grow due to so much sunshine they loved.

Generally roses love 6+ hours sun and grow really tall and well in CA. Water daily as lots of sunshine. They grow rapidly in spring, summer, fall with rich soil and approximate rose fertilizer. (Dont over fertilize.) Roses grow slower in pots and need more water than in ground. Just be careful to keep well watered in pot.

Prune in Dec or January. Rise books will guide you to prune well. They they go dormant until mid-March blooms.

Best check out the best soil for your in ground roses and make sure potted roses are in “potting soil.” Roses like water but will drown in soggy soil that does not drain properly. A rose book or a nursery expert can guide you to obtain the appropriate soils and fertilizers for your new roses.

Dead head, remove dried roses off bushes weekly and they will probably bloom weekly. Each rose bushes has blooming times but most bloom weekly during spring, summer, fall.

I had 2 roses when I first began growing them in CA but I didn’t know how to grow them. I didn’t know to remove the dead rose buds weekly so my roses quit blooming, Lol! A year later I bought a book on roses and learned a few simple care ideas and now it’s so easy! They bloom well all growing season.

Wear leather gloves when pruning in early winter to avoid thorns. Some roses have more thorns than others.

Have fun with your new roses! They will be beautiful with some TLC!

• Magda (Ontario, USDA4/5)
    3 years ago

Kitty, the names are in the title of this thread: Perfume Factory, Fun In The Sun and Golden Opportunity.

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Magpie, Thanks, Lol! Ok, got it!

Sautesmom,

Those 3 roses are really excellent roses!! All top producers!

Perfume Facrory can grow 6 ft if in fertile rich soil and CA full sun! Strong fragrance, too.

Fun in the Sun, a grandiflora, may grow 4 1/2 ft w/strong fragrance.

Golden Opportunity is a climber rose needing an arbor, trellis or obelisk to grow on, wherever you prefer to have it climb. It may climb 8-10 ft. Has a profusion of golden yellow blooms and is a fruity scent!

You can learn more about each rose on internet... all the nurseries give descriptions. So you know what you can expect it to grow like.

Happy Gardening!

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Perfume Factory is 6 feet?
    Uh oh!
    I tucked it in along the sidewalk.
    Fortunately it's still spring and cool, I have time to move it.
    Thanks!
    Carla

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And just to clarify, I was asking if the blooms hold and/or fry in dry heat (Perfume Factory, Fun In The Sun and Golden Opportunity)
    I should have been more specific.
    Carla in Sac

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Carla,

Each rose is different, some more delicate than other varieties. Your roses look like hardy roses. In CA all of my roses did well in Los Angelos hot summer sunshine.. At least they last a day or so but then there are usually so many roses blooming that there are always blooms. Golden Opportunity has a profusion of blooms so you will always have lots of blooms as long as it is put in fertile rich soil.

Perfume factory is a hybrid tea-so beautiful blooms and Fun in Sun is a Grandiflora, both have less profuse blooms but both are Classic lovely roses!

Spring and fall are supposed to be the best blooms. But I enjoyed tons of gorgeous rose blooms all summers in CA. I am sure you will enjoy your roses all summer, too! You will have fun! Roses love sunshine and it grows them really tall in CA.

(I think some English roses are the more delicate ones-but totally gorgeous, too.) I have roses of all kinds-love ‘em.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kitty, I have decades of growing roses here, thanks.
    I'm not asking if the rose bush will thrive, I'm asking those who have grown these particular varieties if the blooms are going to fry in dry heat.
    Carla

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

Carla , I have perfume factory. I can’t remember it’s heat tolerance from the dead of summer but I wanted to tell you it retains its absolutely gorgeous color as a cut rose . When I brought it in the house it was that gorgeous purple you see advertised .

And it’s so fragrant!!!

I wish I remembered more about it .

I also bought fun in the sun this spring! We can compare notes !!

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow Ben!
    Your Fun in the Sun looks like a scrumptious cupcake--I just want to take a bite!!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

I'm interested to hear about golden opportunity as it is a child of autumn Sunset and Julia Child I believe. With parents like that it should be a great Rose. HCR carried it but it is new format this year.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ben - FABULOUS pictures!!!

I'm so excited about getting my Fun in the Sun and Perfume Factory!!

I hope they do well for you Carla.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

@sautesmom Sacramento How is your g

Golden Opportunity doing?

• Meghan (southern VT, 5b)
    last year

Considering Golden Opportunity and wondering if anyone can report back after having it this year? Thanks so much!

• Desert Rose (10a Sunset 19)
    last year

Meghan: There’s a little bit of info about Golden Opportunity on this thread. I’m also very curious about it! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6318637/golden-opportunity-does-anyone-grow-this

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year
    last modified: last year

Perfume Factory, a later season pic, i think I like this look best with the lighter edges.

In recent years Weeks has introduced a number of cluster flowered mauve pinks (Arctic Blue, Barbra Streisand, Sweet Madame Blue etc) all seem to be decent garden roses, But from what I’ve seen and smelled, I think I like Perfume Factory best, consistent flower quality and very strong scent.

@sautesmom Sacramento Carla i just found out you can Pre-order bare root roses from Green Acres! Alas, I was a rose glutton this spring and already have what I need from them, but I think it’s a great opportunity to ensure you get what you want, support a great local nursery and bypass shipping charges. Pre-order is also available for fruit trees, a multi-graft combo apricot sounds very tempting!

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

Well @BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) I blame you for this. Hahaha

last year

Is that a standard Robert? Having blooms up at nose level would be very convenient for a rose like Perfume Factory!

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

yes it is! i am pretty excited.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

Robert, Perfume Factory sounds like a great choice for a standard.

last year

That is one healthy plant, look at all those big canes. No question about that being grade #1.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    last year

Now i regret getting rid of my perfume factory. i cant even remember why ? just needed to clear space ? well now i want it back . dang it .

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

No need to clear space if you get a tree rose, @Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca :)

• rosecanadian
    last year

I want one too. :) :)

last year

Carol

Perfume Factory seems to be right up your alley. How could such a name be resisted, I want every rose to be a ’perfume factory’.

• rosecanadian
    last year

:) :) Yes, fragrance is king/queen in my yard. :) :)