Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessupjl06

Owner builder - best resource for home design?

jessupjl06
3 years ago

Ok, a while back I had a thread about exploring being an owner builder. Short story is my husband and his family have a general contracting business so we have a lot of general construction experience and contacts. We are are now under contract for a lot and trying to decide what’s next. We are not in a rush to break ground and expect (hope) that material costs will normalize over the coming year.

My question is where to start with a home design? I assume an architect but do we want a big firm or just find an individual? We have a modest budget and I’m not sure what to expect cost wise for a “custom” plan. Should we be collecting stock plans we like for a starting point or is it best to design from scratch? The lot is 1/2 acre and sloped (~15%). We plan to build a modest 1 1/2 story, maybe 2300 sq ft with a daylight or walkout basement to be finished in the future.

Any advice is welcome.

Comments (15)

• Shola Akins
    3 years ago

Get an architect who works solo or one who owns a small practice.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

We went with a designer over an architect. We don't live in the US and I do believe we have marginally more oversight for people who claim to be designers here in Canada. We were very pleased with the overall plan and had a tricky site to work with. For us this was a far less expensive option than the two architects we also interviewed whose costs were more than quadrupole what we paid.

• worthy
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Check out their projects. Some architects design in many styles. Others specialize.

Forget subdivision floorplans and their adherence to North American neo-eclectic. But do gather pics of the style you like and your basic parameters--numbers of bedrooms, baths etc.

• jessupjl06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@worthy yes this style is exactly what I dont want, though I never knew what it was called. So uninspiring.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Look for a single architect. Or get in touch with architectrunnerguy here on garden web. He works remotely with Nick and the two of them are excellent.

• rwiegand
    3 years ago

Interview several candidates and look for someone with a compatible work style and design sense to your own. (Compatible and complementary, not clonal!) Look at some of their projects and talk with their clients. Big bonus points if they offer an idea that changes how you're thinking about your project in a positive way. Choose an architect or firm where you will get the time and attention of the person you're interviewing-- it's fine (and desirable) for a lot of the work to be done by assistants and draftspeople, but you want the person you talk to to be the one driving the design, not have it handed off to a junior assistant you haven't met.

Know your weaknesses and hire someone who will fill the gaps-- if you are extremely detail oriented you want an architect who can help you envision the big, sweeping overall vision, for example, or if you are very focused on function and efficiency you may want to hire someone who can add artistry and flair. Both of you, of course, then need to be able to engage in a conversation and make the compromises that produce a delightful outcome.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

If the husband and family are GCs, they should already have a good working relationship with architects or designers and that would be my first consideration. If you are not experienced as a home builder, you need a well qualified and experienced residential architect or designer to lead the way. Mixing an inexperienced home builder with an inexperienced home designer is a quick path to disaster. Stock plans range from great to lousy, even if the picture is pretty.

• jessupjl06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone. My husband does have an engineer and architect he works with but I don’t know how much they can offer on the design side. I would say I’m more focused on getting the most bang for our buck, but still want it to be aesthetically pleasing.

Most house plans I see seem to prioritize aesthetic over function and logical flow. Everything I find is either a big box with rooms haphazardly placed in any spot that they will fit (like it’s a game of Tetris) or takes the “open concept” to the extreme. I get that walls cost money but id like some separation of space.

I guess I have a lot of work to do.

• User
    3 years ago

This may become interesting. Husband is in the industry, wife who demonstrates no knowledge wants to run the project via the internet.

• jessupjl06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@User

hmm, I didn‘t realize that asking questions on the internet implied that I plan to base all or even any decisions on what I learn here. More interesting than your perception of my intentions is your need to spew snarky comments to strangers on the internet.

We already had a builder contact out at the lot this morning. You must be impressed that I managed to arrange this despite the fact that no one on thread directed me to do so.

• User
    3 years ago

That is part of participating on a forum. Please do not respond if you are offended.

If you do not plan to base your decisions on what you learn here, why are you here? People reply because they are trying to help you.

• jessupjl06
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m here to gather knowledge and hear about other’s experiences. Isn't that the point of this forum? This does not mean that I have to or should follow all advice or that this is my only resource for information as you have implied.

I’m not offended, just rebutting your observation of the situation. Don't dish out the sarcasm if you can’t take it.

• laurafhallen
    3 years ago

My advice is not to skimp on the design. Our first house, we hired a "design/ build" firm with a good reputation, but the design turned out to be very suboptimal. I so wish we had just hired an architect from the beginning.

• User
    3 years ago

This is an Internet forum whose existence is based on traffic.