Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bevys

laundry room/mud room wall layout

Bev
3 years ago

We are renovating an area at the end of our hallway, making an entrance from garage. We are turning the room into a laundry/mud room.
It has one window where sunlight comes in, the other window looks into the garage and will be removed.
The two red squares are the wall on which I want the washer dryer to go. There may be some cabinets that go up on the opposite side of the room, possibly a small bench to take off shoes etc. that’s all undecided at the moment. Anyway, The redline represents 7’1/2” opening, the wall continuing from the red line is currently 42”. It’s that wall that is question. I think the 42” wall should be at least 68” long (where the old wall was). My husband likes the sunlight pouring in and the openness of the room so he likes the 42” wall.
I’m afraid a 42” wall will make the room look unfinished... though the more wall we put up will darken the hallway. Am I wrong on the layout of the room?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

So your drawing and the pictures IMO have no realtion to each other and the drawing needs to be to scale showing all windows and doorways I honestly think the space is not very big for a laundry and a mud room.

• modpod
    2 years ago

Measurements would be helpful. Are you trying to say that the red line is just a wall and there will be no door on the laundry/mudroom? I would want a door, doing laundry is a loud business.:-) I would add a pocket door if spacing is an issue and add a transom overhead if you are concerned about light in the hallway.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

So the new laundry room is approx. 10'6" long. How wide is it?

• suezbell
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Would want at least one exterior window in each space but would create only a laundry closet rather than a laundry room, putting the washer and dryer (for dryer venting) against the outside wall and have the hall "wall" to this space NOT actually be full wall with a door that takes up space to swing into a room but only be a set of bi-fold closet doors leading to your laundry closet. That way, you could park a rolling table/cart in the laundry closet in front of the washer and dryer when they're not in use that could serve as a movable folding table with storage beneath it.

Make the wall between laundry and bath be thick/deep enough to have it be floor-to-ceiling storage, with part of the storage opening toward the laundry closet and part of the storage opening toward the bath/powder room -- ironing board and laundry storage on the laundry closet side and bath related storage on the bath side.

By putting storage in the wall (as well as above the dryer (on the wall beside the window), you can make this laundry closet smaller (but still practical ) and make your bath larger.

• Bev
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ci_lantro. The room is actually 8’ wide (to the 42” wall end) and 10’ wide with the large opening including the entrance area/hallway

• Bev
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mod pod. The red line is the area where there is no wall.

• Jean
    2 years ago

Needs a door, how about a glass paned one? that would let the light into the hall yet still hide the laundry.

• Bev
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We also are considering pony walls in the 7 1/2’ x 11’ space. Thoughts on coat broom closet on one end of room and washer dryer on other end? Washer /dryer closed off with bi fold doors or left open?

• Bev
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We put brown paper where the washer and dryer are going. My husband is going to build pedestals for them to sit on which will make the tops of them be about 50” up from floor. Any ideas on the pedestal and can shelves go above the units and beside them? The empty space shown on left will be 18” wide.
    Does it matter if units are white or gray?

• Bev
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Husband built a pedestal for W/D with drawers. We laid tile at entrance and added new light fixtures in hallway and laundry room.

• Bev
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Bright, airy, open. Looking good!

• Bev
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you😊. We took out two small closets and part of a small bedroom (now the laundry area. Filled in a doorway and window. Extended the hallway by about 7’.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH