Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffew

Help with a side yard for formal house that wants unique design

tiffew
2 years ago

Our Georgian house has a few formal landscaping areas on our half-wooded/half-lawn lot

The area between the house and the driveway, which faces the detached garage, looks terrible. It is a rectangular shape that is viewed from the kitchen window and our sitting room, places we all are in all the time.

I thought it would be neat to plant a row of trees right alongside the driveway for part of this stretch, a variety that doesn’t grow too tall so that the area will still get light, maybe put some seating there, some cafe lights above, or a hammock (our daughter’s choice). But, I don’t know which varieties of trees would work for this and not create roots that will lift up the driveway someday. I prefer formal and manicured, but I do have that elsewhere so I could deal with something not heavily pruned.

we live in NE Ohio.

please excuse the mess of hose, grass clippings and lawn tools in my views. One of the images

is the view from our detached garage looking toward the area

Comments (35)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Your house is magnificent!!

I think I’d line the driveway with planters. One of your inspiration pictures have that. I think I’d combine these two photo inspirations ( pic below) gorgeous gorgeous space!!

tiffew thanked HU-187528210
  • HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Also adding that I think mini lemon trees go so beautifully with your vibe :) maybe incorporate that somewhere

tiffew thanked HU-187528210
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

do you have that wonderful OH miserable clay??

does it snow there... is there any snow plow/blower issues limiting what you do near the pavement ...

it would sure help me if you gave us a pic or 2 of the whole scene.. rather than the small area pix ...

ken

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We sure do have the “wonderful” clay and lots of snow, which my husband usually piles in this area. He can put it elsewhere, however.

I’ll take and add some additional photos. It’s hard to get much more in one image, however.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    2 years ago

If we are talking about the area I think we are talking about, even a small tree may be too wide. So I'd be thinking more in terms of a largish shrub, maybe one of the large pannicled hydrangeas.

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The area in question is 17’ wide. The section next to the porch is 17’ long and the section next to the house is 14’ long. I’m adding some photos.

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the compliment! Should I put the planters on the actual driveway, or on the grass adjacent to it? I have never had planters so large--can they stay outside all year round, even when it is -20 here? I don't know how we could possibly move giant planters with trees inside, or even where we would put them.

I'll check to see if lemon trees survive in zone 5b. :)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Lemon trees will not survive in your zone. You’d be lugging them inside every winter. And anything in pots will be a lot of work with watering, feeding and regular repotting. If you place them in grass you’ll need to trim around every single one when you mow the lawn. You’d do far better to plant in the ground for your and the plants’ sakes.

• User
    2 years ago

Make sure the mature plant/tree will not destroy your foundation. I often see trees that will grow have extensive root systems planted close to foundations, a disaster waiting to happen. Also make sure any mulch/dirt doesn't cover your weep holes

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ahhhhh. So much to consider. So potted dwarf trees don’t do well long term?

The warning about roots and foundation is a smart one.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

if you have a modern intact.. rather new foundation ... the roots are irrelevant .... roots can take advantage of pre existing problems.. they can NOT create problems ... they dont carry little drills or chisels to break into cement ... most tree roots are withing the first foot or two of soil .... i dont know what weep holes in basement cement walls means ...

in the area marked with red Xs .. put in a a perennial cutting garden.. that can be covered by the snow ...

with trees... you will be sweeping leaves out of the garage in fall ...

ken

tiffew thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks. I really want to make a little sitting nook, not a cutting garden. I already have one of those.

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I was thinking of Gem Spruce trees in pots or Lollipop Crabapples in pots. Any thoughts which would be best to live well in huge pots for a very long time?

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Pots on the grass. Not the driveway :)

• S Rodriguez
    2 years ago

I would replace the stepping stones with a matching brick walk. You could make an attached path to the sitting area you want , with shrubs instead of trees.

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks. We used the stones as a walkway because they were leftover from the patios floors.

If we were to plant Lollipop Crabapple instead of putting them in pots, will them being 15' away from the house be a bad idea? The house is 10 years old.

I can't seem to find pots large enough for under a thousand dollars each!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

I’ll reiterate my point about the hassle of trimming around pots set on grass. Do you have a gardener? Or do you enjoy caring for a high maintenance garden?

• User
    2 years ago

ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5 - I have news for you, trees can do a lot of damage to a foundation no matter what material it's made of. Mature tree roots can spread in the range of 2-3 times or more the width of the tree crown.

The pictures show a house with brick siding, weep holes are the gaps between the bricks at ground level to allow air exchange behind the bricks. Covered up they are a source of getting water into the house.

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Haha. My husband, my children and I are the gardeners! It sounds like an absolute terrible pain to trim around the pots. I wonder if a weed whacker could do that job.

I worry about the roots near the foundation as well as the driveway.

Another idea I found is boxwood in urns on plinths. Any thoughts about this?

• krnuttle
    2 years ago

While your house is architecturally attractive your lot is stark. You need to look at some of the European Georgian gardens and use elements of those gardens for your plantings.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Georgian+gardens&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=H_cXt3R98X-MQM%252CMKOqxSZR7rlTjM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTH5wP0M9FLvkzICN1MqWT4X0NX9A&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwieu4rK3trwAhWAQjABHd3BAsIQ9QF6BAgeEAE#imgrc=H_cXt3R98X-MQM

or search European Georgian gardens.

The corner of under the windows is begging for some type of planting ie flowering bush, spirea, lilac, etc The patio area is one other area that would benefit from being edged with plants.

One idea that comes to mind is to create a maze in that area, laid out such that there are routes to the drive, the side door and the patio. Maze could be create with small plants like box wood, with gravel or flag stone paths.

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

We are having a rectangular garden installed in a month. We have planned boxwood around the entire perimeter with hydrangeas in the center. For height, we have built two six foot tall pyramids of cedar which will be painted blackish-green. Sorry I can’t post inspiration pictures as my iPad is having a temper tantrum right now. Just search classic gardens on Houzz. You could probably use three in your space. I have climbing roses on mine, but you could use clemetis, ivy, etc. This will not block your view, but draw your eye to the garden while giving you some height.

• krnuttle
    2 years ago

"I wonder if a weed whacker could do that job."

Yes it will indeed do the job. I have 3/4 of an acre that is yard and natural areas. It takes me a little over and hour to mow the yard, and they about 3/4 of an hour to trim the lot. Yes I still get down on my knees to trim in some of the flower beds, ie those area that makes my wife upset if I cut one of her flowers. I use the weed wacker for every thing else. I can also put a brush blade on it and use it in the natural area.

However, if you have back problems it will only make them worse. You weed wacking will be on one levels so you can adjust the shoulder strap on the weed wacker to minimize the back problems.

One other thing, With you patio, you drive, I beleive I saw a garage in one picture and the size of you lot, You will definitely need a a leaf blower. It is great for blowing leaves, but "sweeping" the side walks, patio, drive, garage, and many other similar cleaning task.

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks. We have a leaf “vacuum” called a cyclone rake that we hook up to our tractor. It helps immensely with the leaves in the walkout and courtyard.

update: I bought 5 lilac trees. They are bushes grafted into a stalk. The landscape center people said trees in pots won’t do well and the crabapple roots would eventually be disruptive. Supposedly, these will not. So, hopefully I will get the look I want with these and they will behave.

Now, onto the lower plantings..... I don’t want anything wayward and scraggly. Any suggestions to mimic the images I posted? Thanks!!

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hope I didn’t make a mistake with these they will only be about 6’ tall

• isabellagracepan
    2 years ago

What about a rose garden? That is very formal and traditional, and there are lots of lovely roses even in a colder zone like yours.

Also, I don't know what zone they are, but linden trees are very formal and tidy looking. My favourite tree is a katsura, but I think that is for a warmer zone then yours. Japanese maples come in very small varieties that stay small (or can be kept small with easy pruning). They have a lovely shape and look nice in all four seasons.

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks. We have little leaf lindens lining our driveway, actually. Sadly, they have had SO many pests.

I love roses, but want this space to not have them.

I hope the lilac trees will look good and I can figure out what low plants to put between them for a really manicured look. I’m going to leave some grass space between t bed the driveway.

• krystinjohnson
    2 years ago

I love ferns in the formal garden and think they would pair nicely with your topiaried lilacs! (Though I admit I know nothing about which ferns do well in your region.)

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I too love ferns. I am looking online for ideas as to how to incorporate them in a formal, manicured way.

• mrykbee
    2 years ago

I think the lilac trees are too small for any impact. My first thought was to creat a knot garden of 3 sections with Kwanzan cherry trees in the middle. If you want the center section can have a round cement table and benches for your cafe area.

• mrykbee
    2 years ago

Also, this is a very interesting project please keep posting your progress!

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love knot gardens, but the maintenance is too much for me. With two kids and work there is no way I can add that to my plate. Maybe someday.

I now also worry about the lilacs being too small for impact, but it is what it is and I am stuck with them now. 😬

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We are going to start planting the lilacs in a few min. Likely won’t finish today because of other obligations, but I will post progress. I am now thinking of boxwood between them and some sort of low, dense white flower on the house side of this row of plantings. I’m open to ideas and criticism, so don’t hesitate to react.

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The lilacs

are in now and Im playing around with some faux shrubs to try and decide about planting boxwoods to prune into a ball shape. In one image you can see them in the ground as if they were planted and one is in a terracotta pot. The soil here is terrible because of the rocks that used to be the driveway beneath the surface of the grass. Id love any thoights as to whether I shoukd keeo going or just stop and have only the lilacs.

• tiffew
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I was thinking about creating a large bed, so that is why you see the edge here. I can fix it if I change my mind.

I wont stake the trees until the weekend so they will only be crooked for a few more days.