Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gayagopi

kitchen cabinet paint advice

gayagopi
2 years ago

Hi, we are doing custom kitchen with cabinet maker.I choose a zero VOC Clare paint . But now he is telling , his paint system won’t take conventional paint.it will take only commercial grade.so may I know what is commercial grade paint? Is it safe? Please help.

Comments (24)

• User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Anything is better than house paint for wear and tear. But how are we supposed to know about some unknown system? What does “safe” even mean to you? Don’t let kids eat it? Find out the specifics. Read the TDS. Join the Kitchen Cabinet Painting Experts group on Facebook.

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. Just now after too much bugging , my cabinet maker shared some unknown company from which he is using the solvent based paint. He is saying only the machine is painting . So you are not going to inhale what is the problem. But I couldn’t explain him that paint fumes takes long time and it will off gas for long time. That too that company don’t have certification or standard nothing in their website.when I asked they said they will send me in email.But I see nothing in my email.

• User
    2 years ago

Neither of you know what you’re talking about, apparently. Waterborne durable 2K paint has been the best choice for the last 10 years, minimum.

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your suggestion. I am suggesting him a water based acrylic paint commercial grade and green guard certified paint.I used that paint in home and it’s so good.but I don’t know why he is hesitant to use what I am suggesting.I thought custom cabinet is they will use what we suggest.but I now feel like I am paying too much for nothing.

• User
    2 years ago

Acrylic is garbage for cabinets. Worst stuff ever. That’s why. No chemical or abrasion resistance. It’s a low quality paint for even trim. Builder grade. You need a waterborne industrial wood coating. Not a solvent based. Like I said, this is the blind leading the blind here.

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I understand. I just reading about waterborne paints here.thank you .

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Do you have any suggestions regarding brands for waterborne paint . I can let him know. Thanks

• 101stretired
    2 years ago

I would encourage you to look at Milesi. We had three bathrooms and the kitchen changed from Maple wood to a white. This product is amazing. You can use it as a 1k or 2k system, ideally the 2k is the better option. Another option is Renner, both of these are water based or water bourn. I strongly encourage you to research, research and more, this is a big investment and it must be done correctly with the correct products.

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much.

• User
    2 years ago

If your painter doesn’t know about these superior coatings, and can’t spray them, knowing they exist will be useless to you. You have the wrong painter involved. You need a cabinet coating professional. One with professional spray equipment, and the right shop environment for the spraying. Join the Facebook group I indicated above. Read for a week.

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sure thank you. He has the equipment and everything. But the problem is he is using solvent based for 45 plus years and don’t want to change to waterborne.

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My request to join the group is still pending.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO get adifferent cabinet finisher . He is telling you his equipment can’t handle the paint you want . Honestly once the paint has cured there should be no issue so just don’t take delivery of the cabinet until fter the cure time. Conversion varnish can be water based and IMO find someone who uses it .

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry to ask you a very basic question. So once they apply color matched solvent based or waterborne based alkyd paint, they apply conversion varnish as top coat right? If yes, then are you saying if the conversion varnish is water based, it’s ok to give it as a top coat for solvent based paint?

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

One more question. He said he is using Repcolite , a local company for painting.when i emailed the company, they said they are small company and didn’t get any national certifications. So is it ok use these kind of company? Once the cabinets are cured, do they still release VOC?

• User
    2 years ago

Micromanaging a hack doesn’t get you top quality work. It just frustrates you both, and causes the end result to be worse than he could produce with his antique methods. Either accept his antique technology, or find a different cabinet finishing professional.

Your cabinet shop should have build and finish capabilities both. In house.

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes I understand. He makes and finishes cabinet in same place. Someone told him that waterborne paints leaches when cleaning the cabinet etc. I don’t know who told him that. But he is strict with solvent based.I am giving up. My only concern is the paint he is using is some unknown company. But I don’t know what to do. Is it okay? Do all cabinet manufacturers use like that?

• User
    2 years ago

Tell him to join the FB group. He’ll get sorted out, or huff off in a snit that he’s obsolete.

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ha ha ha I don’t think he has FB.

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

After I told him about my concern about solvent based now he came up with options. Options are not clear and confused which one to choose

1. Using a urethane finish that doesn’t have the long cure time and minimal odor.
    2. Using our conventional finish and storing the cabinets here for 30 days until they cure out.
  • chiflipper
    2 years ago

@gayagopi - Everyone is telling you to hire someone else. Continuing to ask, while ignoring advice given, is pointless.

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I understand. But it’s not very easy to hire someone else in a very small town. Here just to come for measuring and design they are asking money . But I like to thank everyone whoever replied and helped me with suggestions

• User
    2 years ago

Since there are no specific brands mentioned about anything, nor any information on his prep process, including sanding schedule and primer, everything is in the dark about a “better” option. You have to provide more detailed information.

“Mr Old Cabinet Guy, please give me more detailed information about the different product options that you’re giving me. Be specific with brands and brand combinations. I also want to understand your prep and priming process. Please be specific with that information as well. I need to understand the small details, and I don’t.”

• gayagopi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you . I asked him . Still waiting for his reply .