Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuck_urso

Is Madame Anisette worth growing in Florida zone 10b?

chuck urso
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I would love to hear from anyone with decent results in the humid Gulf coast? I do know that the owner of K and M nursery gave up on it in Mississippi but he was growing it on Fortuniana root stock in which I read it is better on it's own roots.

Comments (8)

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    2 years ago

It took 3 years for Mme Anisette to bloom for me (and I started with a large potted plant in 5 gallons). Now it blooms heavily in spring but with little repeat. My guess is it has difficulty setting buds in hot , humid summers. On the plus side, the plant is especially strong and disease resistant.

chuck urso thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • purilisaVA-zone7B
    2 years ago

I have the same experience as BenT, blooms started after 3yrs and it was own root (band)., started blooming heavily in spring and will bloom continously until June..but after sporadic blooms. Very vigorous and mine looks like a tree, heaving pruning will happen this time

chuck urso thanked purilisaVA-zone7B
  • purilisaVA-zone7B
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would like to add that this plant is a "beast" own root...a plant like that probably does not need to be grafted..but you are in Florida and I have heard of so nematodes there so need the grafted version there. But right now mine is 9ft x 5ft and some some shoots that are closer to 12 ft tall..treat it like a climber as I have 2 trellis tied to it and they are both loosing :)

chuck urso thanked purilisaVA-zone7B
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    2 years ago

I have been keeping an eye one mine too. Mine came from palantine and only gave me 3 blooms last year . This year it’s huge , giant canes everywhere and I don’t see a bud yet ! For now I glaze over it but should I need a large pot for something out it goes . Kenneth who is more on Instagram than here has an amazing plant and that’s what keeps me holding on .

• chuck urso
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone for responding! I have pulled up everything I can find on this rose and read everything on here that I could find. I was thinking the 3 year wait on getting a decent flush would be worth it considering it's nice healthy dark leaves. I have not played with roses in over 20 years out here so am having fun doing some catch up on what is going on and all the new varieties. I am an avid gardener and pretty much grow 90% of what I eat now. I also do lawn and ornamental work so deal with all the diseases and soil problems on a weekly basis. Yes Purilisa, the nematode pressure is high in many area's here. I am going with all Fortuniana rootstock except for this one because it seems that it probably does not do as well grafted from all I have read. I just received 4 roses yesterday from KandM and do like his quality. I asked him about MA on the phone and he said he could not get it to bloom so does not carry it for resale. I do not know if he trialed it on it's own roots along with a grafted version to compare and if he gave it enough time to show it's worth. I also wanted Amazing Grace and that one will be another challenge from all I have read.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    2 years ago

Reading everything you could find here on Madame Anisette is quite impressive, chuck.

That’s like watching several decades of General Hospital reruns.

• chuck urso
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That just cracked me up!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!