Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cuteleier_zone6

Your favorite medium/light pink deep cupped rose?

Cuteleier Z6 KS
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I’m looking for a medium/light pink deep cupped rose that is floriferous and disease resistant. The height does not matter although I prefer compact roses. The fragrance does not matter either. Currently I’m interested in Soeur/Sister Emmanuelle, Dee-lish, summer romance, Cinderella Fairy Tale, Leonardo Da Vinci and Kiss Me Kate. I’m open to any variety though. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Comments (62)

• Rose Lai (9b)
    2 years ago

More of Queen of Elegance:

• Rose Lai (9b)
    2 years ago

• Rose Lai (9b)
    2 years ago

• Rose Lai (9b)
    2 years ago

Boscobel is also one of my favorite:

Cuteleier Z6 KS thanked Rose Lai (9b)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Wow Rose Lai, your roses are so big and healthy looking ! All three are phenomenal!

Dianela, your Boscobel is fabulous!

To answer your question, we dont have much in the eay of black spot pressure here so cant really say how Charles would do elsewhere

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 years ago

I love Boscobel. Beautiful petal form inside the cup (it doesn't get loose and messy when fully opened). Nice fragrance. Lasts a good number of days in the vase and on ther bush. The blooms can have a lovely apricot shading inside when they first open.

I just planted a tiny Dee-lish so I don't have personal experience with it yet but I love the way it looked in photos.

Cuteleier Z6 KS thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
  • Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Rose Lai (9b) Omg...that looks like a rose heaven😍😍😍 they are just absolutely gorgeous! I actually saw queen of Elegance at a local nursery and I LOVE it! I like it’s so upright and has tons of buds on it. I actually got 5 and plan to do a hedge. How far apart do you plant them? Is 2ft apart too close? Thank you!

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Rose Lai (9b) I have always liked Boscobel from the photos. I read somewhere that they are the most popular Austin roses. I might have to wait for 2 years before they restock Boscobel😭. btw what are the yellow and purple roses behind boscobel? They are lovely!

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@librarian_gardner_8b_pnw The orange/apricot color definitely makes boscobel interesting! I’ll have to buy one in the future for sure no matter how long I’ll have to wait!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

I tell you, if I had roses like any of you posted here, I'd pass out and be found stretched out on the grass!!!! I can't imagine EVER having roses like I'm seeing here!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

dianela7bnorthal Really appreciate your entire-bush shot of many roses, that helps to see the shape & height. I wish HMF has more pics. like yours !!

• Rose Lai (9b)
    2 years ago

Cuteleier, thank you. Queen of Elegance tend to be narrow in width, so I think 2 feet of spacing is fine.

Those behind Boscobel are Celestial night (purple) and David Austin's Poet's Wife (yellow).

• Rose Lai (9b)
    2 years ago

Actually I don't think you can see my Celestial night from the photo above. Celestial Night started to bloom 1 week after that photo was taken. The lavender ones behind Boscobel is Love Song.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

7th-year-own-root Dee-lish is heat tolerant while Austin roses shattered in 93 F & hot wind. Pic. taken after 2 days of heat at 93 F, this 1st week of June. Dee-lish is listed in Roses Unlimited "Roses Worth Growing", receiving European Award ADR for disease-resistance (similar to EarthKind roses):

https://rosesunlimitedsc.com/2018/03/02/roses-worth-growing/

It makes good cut-flowers, lasing 5 days in the vase, below blooms were picked at 93 F this June:

Cuteleier Z6 KS thanked strawchicago z5
  • dianela7analabama
    2 years ago

Straw I am going to transition to a nonspray garden and always looking for super healthy varieties. I will be adding Dee-lish to my list. Thank you!

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Rose Lai (9b) Thank you so much! Guess what? I went to our local nursery and saw Love Song so I picked up one today :)

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@strawchicago z5 ohhhhhh….. I’m tempted to get a couple of Dee-lish to make a hedge. I like it very upright and looks neat… And disease resistant! We have very cold winter and ver hot summer… kinda bipolar lol. So it’s good to hear it’s doing well in summer time. Does it have a good vigor to recover after winter die back? and how big is the shrub? Thank you so much!

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@strawchicago z5 I forgot to ask you how does Dee-lish rebloom? Thank you!

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@dianela7analabama I do like Summer Romance has clusters of blooms. Heirloom listed it as 4 ft tall so I guess that’s not true lol.. How does she do in summer time with heat? Thank you!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Straw - GASP!!!! Your Dee-Lish bloom is AMAZING!!! So many perfect blooms!!! You really know what you're doing! :) :) <3

Cuteleier - Love Songs are soooo beautiful!! I'm sure you'll love yours!

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Cuteleier Zone 6 In my zone 5, it died back to the crown in its 1st year, but 1 foot cane-hardy in 2nd year. As 7th-year-own-root, it's over 2 feet cane-hardy after winter. Now it's 3 feet tall and 2.5 feet wide & perfect vase-shaped-bush. It would be taller for you since your zone is warmer than mine.

Dee-lish has the best re-bloom since it blooms from top to bottom and opens one bloom at a time, so the minute the last bloom is done, there is already buds formed at the top. Below Dee-lish was taken this June at above 90 F as 7th-year-own-root:

Below bush-shot of Dee-lish was when it's younger & smaller as own-root, also at above 90 F heat:

Cuteleier Z6 KS thanked strawchicago z5
  • Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@strawchicago z5 Look at those huge strawberry cupcakes! ❤️ I actually like either short and compact bushes or super tall and neat climmbers. so the size is perfect! I’m planning on getting one! Thank you!

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    2 years ago

The deepest cupped bloom from your list, IMHO, is Earth Angel, which I agree with Daniela, if own root, it takes about 4yrs. in the garden to come into respectable blooming. It can ball up in wet weather.

Dee Lish is a favorite of mine, one tough beauty. I have 4 bushes in my garden I like it that much. In my garden they grow unusual saturated salmon colored blooms.

Both roses are ADR winners, and are essentially fungus free and super winter hardy w/o protection.

Moses

Cuteleier Z6 KS thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA It’s great to hear Dee-lish is a great rose! I just purchased one from Heirloom today! well…. as well as a bunch of other roses lol… of course😂

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago

My Dee-lish is also more salmon colored, and it isn‘t particularly heat tolerant. It’s actually quite a similar color to Boscobel, which is also a cupped flower but a bit smaller than Dee-lish, more floriferous, and with cherry LifeSavers fragrance instead of grapefruit.

Dee-lish

Boscobel

For years, I too have been looking for the perfect med/light pink deeply cupped rose (NOT globular but cupped), but for me, fragrance is essential, and they need to have an attractive back of the flower. I haven’t found the perfect one yet, but Scentuous is pretty good. Too bad the thrips like it.

Scentuous

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 years ago

@Cuteleier Z6 KS have you considered a climber? DA's Spirit of Freedom has deep fragrant pink cups that don't seem to ball. I have a new own root that is quite vigorous and floriforous (planted from Heirloom in April). I think Roses Unlimited might still have plants of it for sale too. Helen's SoF looks amazing and inspired me to purchase it.

I'm sorry that Boscobel is sold out for so long. Due to so many people pouring their heart into gardening this past year I think that we'll find many plants out of stock in the next year...not just roses. Many growers oversold and sold small plants that would normally br saved for the next year just to keep up with demand.

Cuteleier Z6 KS thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 years ago

For a light pink deeply cupped climber (no fragrance), I’m sure you have thought of Eden. Or for medium pink, its sport Pretty in Pink Eden.

Cuteleier Z6 KS thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@librarian_gardner_8b_pnw I want boscobel so bad….I do have room for a few climbers. I ordered Alchymist yesterday. I’m also interested in Spirit of Freedom, James Galway., as well as Lady of Sharlott. They are both so beautiful! I’m debating if i should get it because I read somewhere Spirit of Freedom is more like a large shrub than climber which takes a lot of space. I read james galway is the same way.

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) I actually planted 5 Eden bareshoopts recently! They are still tiny but I’m very excited! :)

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Spirit of Freedom had the most blooms at Chicago Botanical garden (out of 5,000 roses) so it's compact (more blooms than leaves). Second place was Souvenir d. M. for blooming power.

Don't like Lady of Shalott ... it's a big thorny mess in my garden, gets too tall in partial shade. LOS constantly stabs me when I prune it, thorniest rose ever !!

James Galway blooms better in partial shade and more pillar-compact climber. I would choose Spirit of Freedom over James Galway and Lady of Shalott.

• dianela7analabama
    2 years ago

I feel like most of my kordes except for bordeaux sort of take a break in the middle of the summer when it is mid to high 90s. This is fine with me since we also have lots of japanese beetless

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    2 years ago

@noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Is your Dee-lish grafted or own-root? I had a grafted plant growing in full-sun (Vegas). It was fine until the temperature hit the low triple-digits...

Late April - high 80's - low 90's

Full sun- temperature in the low 100's

2 years ago

@Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country - my D is own root. I think it was from RU. The morning sun is okay, but the afternoon sun in my west facing garden makes the petal edges crispy, with temperatures in the upper 90’s. Maybe I need to water more.

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@strawchicago z5 ok. I’m going to add Spirit of Freedom to the cart and remove Lady of Sharlott.😂 Do you have experience with either Crown princess margareta or Bathsheba? Thank you!

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Bathsheba repeats better than Crown Princess M. according to Pakistan rosarian in alkaline sandy soil and hot temp up to 113 F. My Crown Princess Mag is a MESSY GIANT climber. As 10th-year own-root, CPM is 7 feet tall and 4 feet wide in June. I brutally pruned CPM in spring to less than 1 foot, and it still gets messy. CPM doesn't bloom unless it's all day rain. CPM gets my vote as the messiest & ugliest bush, at least Lady of Shalott is tall-vase-shaped.

Older own-root is more spreading to get more water with less wilting blooms in hot sun. I have Pink Peace as own-root and blooms fried in full-sun the first year, but not the 2nd year when the roots spread out more. But Pink Peace (grafted-on-Dr.Huey) had blooms that fried even in partial-shade. The more cluster-roots formed, the less wilting in hot sun. It's easier for own-roots to grow cluster-roots than big & fat & woody Dr.Huey-rootstock to grow cluster-roots.

There's an English guy in San Francisco who posted on how he prevented wilting in hot sun: He encouraged cluster-roots to grow by making his dense clay fluffy: He mixed wood-chips into his dense clay, similar to what Heirloom Roses used to recommend for dense clay by mixing in 1/2 wood-chips for aeration, since cluster-roots grow best with more oxygen to soil.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

Love all the photos! Just want to add a few more.

Sir Edward Elgar

Radio Time

Brother Cadfael

Otto de Jager

SdlM

Cuteleier Z6 KS thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    2 years ago

Bathsheba does great in Cincinnati as does lady of shallot. Are you looking for climbers? I consider both of these climbers I didn't make any suggestions earlier because most of my medium pinks are climbers

• dianela7analabama
    2 years ago

Bathsheba is an excellent rose! she is healthy and blooms well even as a first year plant.

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@strawchicago z5 @Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley @dianela7analabama Thank you so much! I will add Bathsheba to my collection soon. So far I purchased Dee-lish, Soeur Emmanuelle, Fiji as well as Plum Perfect and a couple of other peach/apricot roses. Can’t wait!

• Cuteleier Z6 KS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@summersrhythm_z6a Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures! The pink color of Brother Cadfael is just perfect!

2 years ago

A couple of other options. my friend has an old bush of what I think might be Madame Caroline Testout. It has huge cupped pink old-fashioned flowers with strong fragrance. There’s also Reine Victoria, which has more globular than cupped flowers. Huntington Rose also has rather globular small flowers, and a very charming growth habit.

Huntington Rose

Alnwick Castle is globular in the early season and more cupped later in the season.

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

Cutleier,

Lovely thread! My favorite pinks!!!

Eden Cl-now my favoite! Hardy glossy leaves, foriferous!

Summer’s Romance-hardy-vigorous-dark leaves-very fragrant!

Mary Rose-My old dependable-great in hedges-always beautiful-floriferous.

Kiss of Desire Climber, glossy leaves, gorge gorgeous! (Not cupped)

My new baby Deelish

Mary Rose ( lighter leaves)

Kiss Me Kate Cl-FIRST BLOOM TODAY!

Souvenir de la Malmaison

I have more light pinks… Leonardo Di Vinci-glossy leaves, Cinderella-glossy leaves, Olivia, Brother Cadfael, Earth Angel, Anne Bolyn, Hawkeye Belle, Hyde Hall, Fragrant Masteroiece, Harlow Carr, Heritage, Princess Alexandria of Kent, Queen Elizabeth-grandiflora, Clotilde Soupert-polyantha, , Sovenir De la Malmaison-pretty light pink, , some OGR, , Painted Porcelain HT, The Fairy, Cecile Brunner, Bonica.

But my all time favorites are Eden & Francis Melliand.

My Francis Melliand is a new baby…. so here is a photo from Star Roses-it opens in diameter 6 inches l- BIG-FRAGRANT! beliw….

Dee-lsh also new to my garden-but a very dependable rose.However, I really love Cinderella & Summer Romance-super light dependables!

Francis Melliand (Oops! a HT not cupped)

One idea to consider is that my climbers above are most vigorous…hardy…glossy leaves…so they do well in zone 6-my zone, too.

(Try peaches next…. Lots of beautifulGil roses there, too!!!) A whole other thread…

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Kitty: thank you for those amazing beauties. Which are your favorite scents among pink roses? Thanks.

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

Straw, Thank you! I really need to smell all my new blooms to figure a favorite. Ill check tomorrowrow.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Such beautiful roses everyone!!!

Kitty - good gravy!!! I sure hope my FM looks like yours!!! Delicious!!!

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

I added a few photos to my ”pink rose post,” above that just bloomed…

• berrypiez6b
    2 years ago

Boscobel

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    2 years ago

My favorite deeply cupped pink rose is probably not one many would pick because it shatters pretty quickly but I love Heritage. Such a romantic and sweet looking rose. I love the strong, fruity fragrance and virtually no thorns. It’s very healthy and repeats well, though not the best in my garden. The color and form won me over for life!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Laura - What an EXCEPTIONALLY beautiful bloom!! I see what you mean....that's wonderful!!! And it's fragrant too!! Oh my!!!

Berrypie - Your Boscobel has a beautiful color and shape!!!

• berrypiez6b
    2 years ago

Thank you Carol, this year the Austin roses are really strutting their stuff, it isn't anything I've done.