Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Good food/kitchen scale

gsciencechick
2 years ago

My old WW food scale has died. So many brands between BBB and A**zon. Do you have one you really like? It does not need to count WW points.

Comments (17)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

I have an edlund, love it.

gsciencechick thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • jojoco
    2 years ago

I did a lot of research when i was looking for a kitchen scale. This is the one i bought and have been very happy with it

gsciencechick thanked jojoco
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I have an old one from Pampered Chef that works remarkably well. I believe Cook’s Illustrated recommended one from OXO. As long as you have one with a fairly large surface and has tare weight calibration, you are good. I use either plastic wrap or waxed paper if i need to accurately measure meat.

gsciencechick thanked OutsidePlaying
  • localeater
    2 years ago

I also have a Salter. Mine’s 17 years old. I love it.

gsciencechick thanked localeater
  • Bunny
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I just bought this one, based on Wirecutter's best of. My first kitchen scale.

Escali Primo

• lizbeth-gardener
    2 years ago

I had a Polder for years till it died. I replaced it with the OXO 12# SS version and absolutely love it. I got it from the company with the river name and is the model just under $50. I really like the feature that allows you to extend the read out area when weighing something in a large container. It's skinny so doesn't require too much storage space and I appreciate their warranty.

gsciencechick thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • bbstx
    2 years ago

I have an earlier model of this one https://www.target.com/p/oxo-5lb-food-scale-with-pull-out-display/-/A-11144550#lnk=sametab. I would love to tell you that I did extensive research, but the truth is I walked into Target and it was on sale for $10, so I bought it. I’ve had it at least 15 years, maybe 20. It does what it is supposed to do.

gsciencechick thanked bbstx
  • straitlover
    2 years ago

I have a white version of this one at Costco. I'm assuming it's an earlier model. I like it because it does dry and liquid, and it weighs up to 30 lbs. Takes up more counter space tahn some, though. Taylor scale at Costco

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

DF has this from Amazon, very easy to read.

gsciencechick thanked MDLN
  • gsciencechick
    Original Author
    2 years ago

These are all very nice. I wound up ordering the Nicewell right above that mdln posted. It looks like a good size and does a variety of measurements in g, lbs, oz, and ml.

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

I have an OXO scale. I needed one for baking and I'm usually pleased with OXO quality. I don't use it a lot, but it works great when I do.

• aok27502
    2 years ago

This is timely. I think my cheapie has died. Yesterday I was trying to weigh flour, and once I quit adding to the bowl, the number slowly kept going up. It was like watching a digital thermometer go up. Off to research suggestions.

gsciencechick thanked aok27502
  • User
    2 years ago

@aok27502 If you havent tried this change the battery. scales i’ve had over the years have had migrating numbers like that when the battery is going.at least try before replacing scale. c

gsciencechick thanked User
  • gsciencechick
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, I agree with C, try the battery first. My former scale was so old it used a 9-volt battery. I wanted to be sure to look for ones that used either AA or AAA batteries. One I looked at, I think the new Pampered Chef one, used button batteries, and I'd prefer to stay away from those.

• maddielee
    2 years ago

America’s Test Kitchen has this one on the suggested buys for Prime Days.

gsciencechick thanked maddielee
  • Lars
    2 years ago

I have Ozeri for most uses, but I also have an Amir jewelry scale for precise weighing of smaller quantities - especially helpful for measuring salt, yeast, etc. or anything that is in a small amount.

One scale is not enough. I weigh all my ingredients (except water) when making pizza dough, partly because I now make smaller portions of dough at a time, for smaller pizzas. I find it extremely easy to make a small amount of pizza dough and prefer this to storing leftover dough, although sometimes I like to do that as well, as it can improve the flavor.

gsciencechick thanked Lars