Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catlover952000

Advice on a backsplash idea I’m thinking about

catlover Leo
2 years ago

I’m doing a complete kitchen remodel. The cabinets will be BM White Dove, and the island will be BM Van Deusen Blue. The hardwood floors are English Chestnut. The hardware on the cabinets will probably be an unpolished brass.
We are waiting for the painted door samples to be given to us so we can go and choose a quartzite counter top.
We are considering Taj Mahal for the counter top.
What do you think of the white washed brick in the inspiration photo for a backsplash? I think it’s a cultured stone. I hope it is.
My home is traditional and I’m looking for a timeless kitchen.
Any thoughts will be very appreciated.

Comments (59)

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My home is a colonial and decorated with many antique reproduction style furniture. It’s more of a historical style in general. I like subway tile although it’s used so much now. I’m not opposed to it. I was just thinking if a different idea would work.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

So do a hand glazed 6” square. Or 4” square. Doesn’t have to be the 3/6 white you see in every flip. (Though that would be fine too)

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I will consider that for sure. Thank You

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I don't like Taj w/your floors or your blue. Taj can be on the golden end, or, like this slab at my stone place, on the cooler gray end

(BTW, I'd also substitute Simply White for White Dove. I painted my walls w/White dove and hated it. it was very dingy looking. Have them do a sample of Simply White for you. Or Oxford White)

I think a Macaubas quartzite would be a better selection. (they have one w/a blue that Bargarin Mansions Tamara Day just did. it was beautiful. she had similar blue cabinets like your island color)

could only find this pic of it. it was the recent Shirtwaist house she redid.

I wouldn't do the brick.

But they do make a porcelain used brick tile.

however, if that's the look you want, then do a custom glazed brick like this Glacier Blend from Seneca Tiles. these would look way better than brick or the porcelain brick-look.

https://senecatiles.com/2x8-hm-glacier-blend-grey-grt/

https://senecatiles.com/product-tag/mini-panels/

They have a ton of colors and styles. But wait until everything is installed first.

what you could do is a piece behind the stove, and tile everywhere else. (i think this is called Fantasy Macaubas)

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Beth
    I was going to choose Simply White but the undertone was just to yellow. I had ordered a large sample of it and I put it next to the blue and it looked even more yellow. I liked the Oxford White but the gray undertones were popping out lots of the time. It’s the way my home sits I think. My kitchen faces East in the morning and west in the afternoon. The White Dove looked good, neutral most of the time compared to the others.Because my home is on the historic traditional side I think it’s better not to be to stark.
    I really like the quartzite Macaubas that you showed in the pictures ( the last photo) I like the lightest one. When I get the painted door samples I’m going to look at both Taj Mahal and Macabas when I go to the stone yard.
    It seems most of the responses I’m getting is not to do the brick look. I really appreciate the advice.
    I know I have time to decide on the backsplash. But my mind is working overtime with this remodel. Lol

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

order some samples now, so you'll have them. did you like the Sececa brick option?

Encore Ceramics also has some gorgous selections.

more of a traditional look, try the Cloe 5x5 tiles.

Glad White Dove worked for you! lord knows it didn't in my room

I told my painters Simply White, but they said it wasn't bright enough, so we went up a shade. No yellow, no blue, not too stark.

I did repaint my walls (after the White Dove!) with Simply White. all the trim is also SW

• AGKY
    2 years ago

If you like subway tile, just go with subway tile! I know it feels like everyone is doing it now, but that's just because that's what we are seeing on the most popular photos on Pinterest. Go to your friends' homes or look at real estate listings and you will see houses full of patterned or trendy-at-the-time tile that someone once loved that now look dated and ugly. Subway will give you timeless. Also, if at all possible, pick out your stone before finalizing your cabinet paint--it's so much easier in that order!

• houssaon
    2 years ago

Check out Complete Tile. They make wonderful tiles by hand in upstate NY. The McIntones Ceramic line has unusual colors. Their Vermeere line is also interesting. I used them for my kitchen remodel.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Your home looks beautiful Beth.
    I do like the Seneca brick option. I made a note of it and will go to see it in person after I get the painted door samples. I’ll also see what Encore Ceramics has. I’ll look it up online look at that brand in person. I ordered the Taj Mahal sample but they are out of the White Macaubas . Im going to try another place for samples. This is great information. Thank You

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Amy I do like the subway tile and you’re right it’s timeless, classic. I guess that’s why everyone likes it. I don’t want anything trendy. Are glass tiles considered trendy? This remodel is expensive and I’m trying to stay timeless. Beth’s suggestion of a tile that looks like brick Seneca tile is interesting. I’ve got to see it in person. Or I will go with a hand made subway tile just to look a little different from what I see all over.
    The cabinet maker needed the color for the cabinets so I had to do it in that order.

Houssaon I will check out McIntones Ceramic. Thank You

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

catlover, if you like that glazed brick look, there are some other options. I ordered some samples when I was trying to decide on mine.

Tilebar has the Cadenza line w/many colors.

two of them on the left.

https://www.tilebar.com/cadenza-wales-gray.html

these are carried at Home Depot and Wayfair under the Ivy Hill line.

That lighter one, Wales Gray, may be a good match w/your blue. Even Lowes carries this!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Unbranded-Stanza-Wales-Gray-2-in-x-9-in-Glazed-Clay-Subway-Tile-Sample/5001553999

Fireclay tile aslo has a thin glazed brick (as opposed to the super thick 5/8" size like the Zellige tiles)

this color is Driftwood

https://www.fireclaytile.com/blog/full/project-spotlight-driftwood-and-big-horn-bathroom

I think this color would look so good w/your flooring. And the blue.

the Zellige are the two smaller ones. the 3 in front are glazed brick from CleTile.

just making sure you have info for diff resources!

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Beth. I like the glazed brick look. I looked up Seneca Tiles but they are temporarily closed for now. A fire I think. But you’ve given me lots of other companies I can look up and go see in person once I get the counter top choice in order. There are many nice options there.

• acm
    2 years ago

Be sure to bring samples of your tiles to visit your stone -- Taj Mahal always feels formal to me, while a lot of the bricks and similar look quite informal and rustic. They might fight in feel even if you can match them in tone.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

catlover, they had a fire in their company over a year ago. I know that banner still says that, but I think they're back up. It's says to call to order samples. Call them and see what they say.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I really like the Taj Mahal for the countertop. That’s my first choice. It goes with my home decor. I don’t have any gray tones anywhere in my home. I like the tones in Taj Mahal. The Macaubas is beautiful but I need to see that one in person. I don’t want cool undertones. The Van Deusen Blue for the island is a neutral blue that goes well with warm or cool undertones.
    I also am leaning towards a glazed tile look that’s a subway with a possibility of a beveled edge or a old or chipped look on the edges. After reading all these posts I’m starting to lean towards that look rather than the brick look I thought was beautiful in that picture.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I will contact Seneca tile by phone.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Pick your countertop first. Then finalize your paint colors based on your stone.

get everything installed.

then choose the backsplash.

Taj is either golden, or it's grayish. Lately, the slabs lean more gray

Hopefully you can find one that suits your colors

Another great quartzite is SeaPearl

and White Pearl. the former has more greenish tones

Be very careful when looking at 'quartzite' from stone places. Far too often they mislabel marble as quartzite. there is no soft quartzite or hard quartzite. Quartzite is made entirely of quartz, nothing else. quartzite is hard and will never etch. some of the whiter ones may stain, but nothing like marble. If they tell you quartzite has some calcite crystals in in, they're lying. it's marble.

make sure you do your homework and test them

a knife will cut through marble and leave powder. on quartzite, it won't do a damn thing

ditto glass. glass is harder than marble, softer than granite or quartizte. if you can make a scratch in the stone w/a piece of glass, you have marble.

if you run a glass tile over the edge of the slab and it leaves a powdery residue in it's wake, you have marble. if the glass scratches, you have quartzite.

5 mins. anything acidic will etch marble. not quartzite. if they tell you differently, they're lying

• JP L
    2 years ago

One more vote for Fireclay brick. They are in the running for our backsplash currently (the Olympic shade is a nice creamy white, and it also has a bit of crazing/crackle to it). You can order samples from their website to check it out in person.

• Boxerpal
    2 years ago

I love the look of Brick.

Central Phoenix Copper Hood · More Info

What about Trikeenan tile? These make me think of historical.

Artisan Glazed Thin Brick · More Info

Culinary Craftsman · More Info

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That information for testing quartzite is excellent. Thank You I’ll do that.

• unwantedadvice
    2 years ago

This is a fascinating mini-tutorial thread re tile counters/backsplash. catlover, you’ve been given some great ideas. In Boxerpal’s comment above with the green tile pic, how on earth does the outlet cover and plugs get covered so beautifully? It looks great.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks boxerpal I agree the brick is beautiful. I’ve never heard of Trikeenan tile I’ll have to look that up. I don’t want to use green but perhaps a lighter color.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Find your Taj Mahal slabs first. That stone has huge color variations. All beautiful, but really different.

• JP L
    2 years ago

@unwantedadvice - it looks like a (really well done) faux painted finish on the switch-plate to match the tile (which is also pretty gorgeous). There's also a company called TruFig that makes a flush outlet and receptacle system, that when used in combination with faux finishes and color matching makes the outlets disappear into the background.

• L P
    2 years ago

@unwanted advice: I didn’t see an answer to your question about the outlet cover on the green tile wall. I just had a glass tile backsplash installed and I bought Eaton screwless outlet covers at Lowe’s which blend in very well. They come in various congifurations and you can find them near the standard outlet covers. The screwless covers just snap over an inner cover which does get screwed into the wall. Of course, outlets can also be installed out of sight.

• Circus Peanut
    2 years ago

If you're doing 3x6 subway tile, you can also turn the outlets horizontally so they take up one tile. (When I DIY'd my backsplash, I remember spending a day with a rotozip cutting out little outlet holes from whole subway tiles to do this, lol.) Some higher-end companies even make ceramic outlet covers to match their tile.

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago

I think a crema marfil tumbled marble tile would look great. I think a glossy brick or tile gives off a more modern vibe than what it sounds like you’re going for. I used the tumbled marble tiles and love them. i never had an issue with splatter but I have a large old tole painted tray propped behind the cooktop and splatter is easy to wipe off of it. the edges are worn and gives a lovely ”been there forever” look.

https://mosaictiledirect.net/4-x-4-marble-tiles/crema-marfil-4-in-x-4-in-tumbled-marble-tile.html

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the great advice

• Quentin Parker
    2 years ago

I love the original picture you posted with the brick. That's what we were after in our kitchen as well. We love old houses, want something timeless, and hate doing anything trendy. We were discouraged from brick veneer or stone because it's hard to clean, but it's surprising difficult to find brick look tiles that actually look right. We may end up having to go with a variant on subway tile, but I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Quentin Parker I know I love that photo. But I feel it’s going to be really difficult to get that exact whitewashed brick look. The brick tiles look very nice but doesn’t look great like that brick in that picture.
    Like you I think I’ll need to do the same as you. A version of a timeless subway tile. I hate trendy.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I found this company that does a thin real brick veneer. I’m going to call for a sample and see how it looks.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

catlover, why not just get a cheap, red brick thin veneer, put a light sealer coat on it, and white wash it yourself w/a chalkpaint or something like Romabio?

much cheaper, and pretty easy to do. you could apply another coat of sealer after it all dries.

I'd do the first sealer on the red brick first to keep the absorption at a minimum.

Tutorial

https://remingtonavenue.com/do-it-yourself-brick-veneer-backsplash.html

She used chalk paint to white wash. YOu can try it, or get a sample jar of Romabio.

***I would NOT use the Flexcolor CQ grout she recommends. too difficult to clean. use something else. see the next tutorial.***

make sure to pick up these

another one

https://vintagerevivals.com/installing-brick-veneer-inside-your-home

https://vintagerevivals.com/grouting-brick-veneer/

don't know if you want a neat grout/mortar joint,

or something a bit more thick and rustic

you could skip the paint portion and just do a white mortar was as you're 'grouting' or piping the joints.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s great information Beth. I’m still going back and forth about the brick or subway tile. Can’t decide. I love the brick look but it’s not really practical. I do use my kitchen to cook and not just look pretty so I have to consider that. If we were to go with the brick veneer look the contractor will have it installed because he’s doing the whole kitchen remodel. The last picture you posted is very nice.

• M R
    2 years ago

Also, if you have the patience to play aroubd with it, I used the app bazartt to figure out my backsplash. I was able to ”photoshop” in a subway tile that I also considered or this brick and ended up loving the brick more! Seeing even a very rough rendering helped me so much.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow MR your kitchen is beautiful. It’s a timeless look and different from all the others. I’m going to check out bricksalvage.com a look. I’m so happy to hear it’s not an issue to have you n a kitchen.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’ll check out the app also. I can’t use it until the cabinets are in but I have time to choose the backsplash. Still deciding but this can help. Thanks
    I ordered a sample of the thin brick from the company above. The Chicago style is real brick and white washed. They will white wash it more if I need to also

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m happy to hear it’s not an issue to have brick in the kitchen backsplash.

• unwantedadvice
    2 years ago

@catlover Leo, in the end you might get the brick backsplash you wanted in the first place! How nice that would be.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Something like a brick backsplash can make you love your kitchen more. It’s an unusual touch and you clearly admire how it looks in other kitchens. I’m sure it will be worth the conversation with your contractor to make sure it’s done right (and therefore washable). @M R’s kitchen is stunning and DIFFERENT because of it.

• lynne3450
    2 years ago

The Fireclay bricks are awesome.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

catlover - I got your message, but Houzz system won't let me respond. Please email me direct at

manganflo@gmail.com Be happy to help. Flo

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago

I hope the brick works for you because the inspiration photo, in my opinion, is the most beautiful backsplash I’ve seen. i don’t like trendy either and love a timeless look! I’m sure you can make it work and I can’t wait to see it!

• M R
    2 years ago

@catlover Leo also, one more thing- there are a lot of different type of bricks on that website and it can be so confusing, but the ones with more character are the real chicago thin bricks- not the queen veneers. we has a great experience with our ordering, it was super fast shipping and very few broken bricks.

ps- we added crown molding since that photo :) I need to get an updated photo!

• dorr6
    2 years ago

M R your kitchen is beautiful! In addition to the brick backsplash, I love the island pendants. Could you please share the source? Thank you.

• Therese N
    2 years ago

My local store has these brick look tiles that may work. I’m sure they’re more washable than true brick, but the sales people could possibly guide you if you called. I’m sure you could find vendor info for local availability or possibly have these shipped (though that can get really spendy!) @Quentin Parker, maybe these would work for you too.

https://www.ceramictileworksmn.com/wall-tile/page/1 shoot. youll have to add a filter from the ”look” category for the brick styles

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank You for the information theresen

• dorr6
    2 years ago

Thanks M R, for the info on the pendants. I just noticed you have an awesome view out your window!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Hi! How’s it going? Just touching base.