Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_277000534

How to stage this odd built-in "desk" in my mudroom

Jennifer
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Coming into our house from the garage, we have a small mudroom type area. It has a built-in granite desk/counter...30.5 inches off the ground. Too high to be a bench, too low to be a counter. It has a hole in it for cords and the like (in case a printer or computer was there). Currently, we use it for the litter box and to display old artwork. I have a freestanding hall tree opposite, but am looking for ideas on how to utilize this area when we sell. I don't want to spend much money, if any, but would love ideas for this strange nook. In the pictures, my laundry room is behind a pocket door on one side and the other doorway leads to the rest of the home. High ceilings, but no natural light. Ideas and feedback welcomed!!

Comments (15)

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Buyers look for convenience and space in mudrooms, but the mudroom is not likely to make or break the sale. To prep for sale, store the big hall tree and kid artwork, find a big cheerful piece of art to hang where the kid art is. Leave the kitty litter box and roomba during the days and months it's for sale. For actual showings that last 20 minutes or so, remove the kitty litter and roomba. If you forget, no big deal, It's nice to show there's a convenient spot for kitty litter and roomba.

• armjim
    2 years ago

I agree with apple pie order who gave excellent advice in my opinion. Not a bad looking space at all; the counter is marketable. Removing the hall tree opens up the space. Seldom is a mudroom a make or break for the sell of a home, and yours is not obtrusive. Regarding your cat litter box during a sale, remember that the way a house smells to visitors when they first walk in is the way it smells to you after having been gone for a week or so and you first walk in. Have someone come in and give you an honest appraisal when they walk into that area.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

It has a hole in it for cords and the like ... no natural light.

Putting these two details together, a small lamp here would be a nice addition. And a small plant.

To prep for sale, store the big hall tree and kid artwork, find a big cheerful piece of art to hang where the kid art is.

Agree with both. I love the hall tree, but it seems too large for this space. Also agree that one larger piece of non-personal art would be more appealing to buyers.

For actual showings that last 20 minutes or so, remove the kitty litter and roomba.

Agree again. It's totally how "real people live", but buyers don't want to see that. Perhaps replace them with a pretty woven basket on the floor ... a tall one, like a hamper size. Doesn't have to have anything in it, but it will keep the under-counter space from being "empty".

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Great advice, thank you!! What about adding hooks or shelving above the counter? I also love the idea of a lamp, and baskets underneath. I have about a year until we go to market, so easy updates are completely doable. I just don't want, or need, to spend money on an area that doesn't call for it.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    2 years ago

You already have key hooks by the door to the dining room, which I think looks fine. If I'm looking for more hooks there it's for coats and bags, so I'm not sure I'd want them over the desk, as it would impede coats, and placing the handbag on the desk would be equally practical as a hook over. I'd more consider a letter sorter and a dish, as it would be a place for outgoing mail and a place to toss pocket change.

• latifolia
    2 years ago

My brother had something similar when they bought their house. All it did was catch clutter. They removed it during renovations.

I think they were "a thing" in the '90s. I would remove it and patch and paint the wall. Space does more to sell a home than dated built-ins.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

To spend nothing, hang the framed tree artwork.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Says a lot about our builder, I guess! The house was built in 2013 😉 I'd remove it if we were going to be here longer, but its not enough of an issue for a house that isn't our long term place. We move a lot (military), so we're used to making the best of less than stellar homes.

• Tara
    2 years ago

If you don't already have a space for it, use it for a charging station for all your devices, even your tablet or laptop. It's probably tall enough to put a regular chair there (not a bar stool), as it was probably intended as a computer area.

• Ruth Stein
    2 years ago

Wire basket inboxes for each member of the family could go on the counter either lined up or stacked. We put the family printer and office supplies in our mudroom -- very convenient for us and the inboxes work to throw people's printer output in along with the mail if necessary.

• Therese N
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My expertise is in merchandising. Essentially "staging" on a retail level. It's more than just making something look nice. There's some sub-conscious maniplation going on to some degree. DON'T demo that table. You won't find matching base for the wall. Instead dress that up and sell it! Start by removing the large hall tree and replacing it with other things that are visually less bulky. A wall mounted coat rack and small shoe storing bench underneath. Find a new home for the vacuum and cat box, if you can. Add a low stool that you can tuck under the desk where the box is. Suggest a place to handle a couple bills on the way out the door. Set it up a bit like an office. A memo center above it, a lamp and charging station. Wall pockets for in-coming and out-going mail, a calendar (NO personal info - leave it blank) a small mirror to check yourself on the way out, etc. IMPORTANTLY some kind of "welcome" message on the wall. Take down all personal items - kid's art, family names, whatever. I know it all might seem hokey, and may not match reality, but it works. Decorators call it "welcome wall" and other names, but it mentally gives a purpose to the space and when done right says "glad you're home". (PS, note that these pictures also include suggestions for dressing the items for staging. Don't leave them empty. Put something there that makes it look used, but not your real grungy tennis shoes, right? LOL) Good luck! Glad you're starting this early.

Also, I agree with armjim - don't underestimate the power of those other senses, especially smell. Every time we had an open house or scheduled showing I wold brew a pot of coffe and set out a plate of cookies. No one ever touched them, of course, but for most people the smell of coffee does have a sub-conscious effect, not to mention mask any unpleasant odors, even what you cooked for dinner.