Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sky1122

I know a lot of people hate white floor because of extra cleaning

sky1122
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I know a lot of people hate white floor because of extra cleaning work. How about in a small master bathroom?

Regarding the wall and floor tiles, I am trying to do something similar to the first picture. I found a solid white tile which could match my wall ( the second tile to the left in the second and third pictures). But I have concerns as a lot of other people about cleaning. Maybe it is not that bad in a small master bathroom since nobody other than the family will go into that room and we do not wear shoes inside the house.

I had spent a lot time and bought back 30/40 pieces samples back. Most of the colors does not match my wall tile. Only the four tiles in the second and third pictures could match. The far right one is a little to dark to me. The far left one is bowed in the middle. But this white tile is lighter than my wall tile especially in some area in the room. I am not 100% sure if I can say it match my wall tile.

What do you think? Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (26)

• sky1122
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@AGKY I thinks so too. Do you have solid white tile, or white color with some patterns?

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

I have white tile floor in my guest bathroom. The house came that way. I dislike the white floor. All you need is one hair to make the whole floor look dirty. One glaring hair. And it's a guest bathroom, so does not get a lot of use. If the white tile floor were in my master bathroom, I would actually spend the money to rip it out.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

I have white hex tiles with white grout on the floor of my guest bathroom, biggest mistake I made and I can't wait to rip it out.

• sky1122
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Shannon_WI So sad to hear that.

• sky1122
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Anna (6B/7A in MD) Hex shape creates more grout lines. I was thinking hex shape, but gave up later.

• James Cronk
    2 years ago

I agree with Shannon_WI. I have had white tile, with no pattern or variation, and it showed every hair. It was a rental, but I vowed never to have plain white tile in my house.

sky1122 thanked James Cronk
  • PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    2 years ago

Add me to the no white floors camp! Had them in my previous house, and floor looked great after cleaning, but the next thing, anything from a hair to water drops from washing your hands showed up and ruined the effect.

sky1122 thanked Skippack Tile & Stone
  • sky1122
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What about this combanation? Only about 50 sqft white floor tile in the room.

• sky1122
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Skippack Tile & Stone Do you have a polished white or matte white?

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Yes to white.

• sky1122
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@James Cronk @Skippack Tile & Stone I did some testing the other day. I step on pure white and two other white/light gray stone look tiles with dirty shoes. Sadly the pure white tile did show a lot more than other two. I don’t know. I am still thinking to use bare feet in that room and some rugs in front of the shower and the vanity which may help the floor get less dirty at the first place.

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    2 years ago

They were there when we bought the house, traditional 4x4 with an undulated surface, semi gloss I'd say. I tend to like darker color for floors, I like how they anchor the space.

• sky1122
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Skippack Tile & Stone I like the contrast between the wall tile and the floor tile too. I initially wanted to do something similar to the gray mosaci or even darker. But for our small bathroom without very bright datlight, I think maybe the lighter color would bright up and enlarge the room

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO white grout is never a good idea . That said white floors do not get one bit dirtier than brown or any other color so I think if you love the look go for it. but I would do a gray grout. My fave for bathrooms is a 12 x24 porcelain tile for the floor and the shower walls and I too like darker floor but not because of cleaning but I like the look.

• sky1122
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have tried a lot of different tiles, most of them could not match the color. The wall tile we picked is 48*48 and there is no sample of it, so I cann’t take a sample with me to match the color.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Love white floors. Get the look you want and train users how to remove shoes at the door. Easy to put baskets and slippers at doors. A bath mat and a couple rugs by sinks no problem. Easy to manage.

• just_janni
    2 years ago

I am still building. I have an entire house in white epoxy. it's basically indestructible, and even with folks in and out - generally a soft broom, or a large floppy microfiber mop makes quick work of things. We're a no shoes house once we're in, but obviously not with trades in there.

in a bathroom, a little swiffer on a stick could handle stray hairs in about 30 seconds.

Do what you want.

I'd suggest the largest tile you can reasonable fit in the space and pay for GOOD rectified tiles.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

We are a no-shoes house and there was a visible path in the white grout from the door to the toilet within a couple of years in a bathroom that does NOT see daily use.

We have epoxy grout for our kitchen backsplash and the stuff is incredible: not a single stain after 4 years despite tumeric and tomato sauce splatters. If you go with white grout, go for epoxy.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

What about a light gray-slate tile? Can you post a photo of the bathroom? I understand your concern about a plain white tile.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

"That said white floors do not get one bit dirtier than brown or any other color"

True, but you could have just cleaned a white tile floor 5 minutes earlier, and one hair, or one drip, and it's so glaring it makes it look like you haven't cleaned it in a week. That's the difference. A darker floor or a variegated floor is more forgiving of not cleaning it every single time someone sets foot in it.

• rae110
    2 years ago

We have white tiles in the wet areas and whole downstairs. The dog is white/tan color so his fur sorta blends in. The most difficult thing is the light color grout gets dirty but no one really pays that much attention other than myself.

• Jess B
    2 years ago

I think it also depends on the texture/finish of the tile. We just put solid white hexagon tile with medium gray grout in our attached bathroom and I really like it. It has a really nice smooth texture which is easy to keep clean. However, the first tile we looked at from Home Depot had a more textured/chalky finish and I feel like that would have gotten dirty.

• lindacottonwood
    2 years ago

Jess B I have the same tile ^ and it really is easy to keep clean.

• Hack This
    12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

White floors or walls are the WORST to clean. I can immediately tell how dirty a human is by their choice in colos. If your a dirty human, you don't mind the diry specks, or scratch marks that show and won't put it the time to clean appropriately. Meaning everytime you walk on a white floor or use a white tiled shower, it will leave dust, and streaks. NOTICEABLY. Guests can tell how lazy and dirty you are regardless if your blind to the dirt. Its gross. As a housecleaner, STOP USING WHITE FLOORS, CABINETS, TILE anywhere. Please. I actually refuse to clean houses with that chosen white color palette. Im not working to death for an item to stay clean only 2 seconds.

• lindacottonwood
    12 months ago

Well that is quite the statement. I have a lot of white in my home. No I don't have a houskeeper. I clean it myself. I don't know why you say an item stays clean for 2 mins. Maybe the people are slobs, Who knows. We don't wear shoes in the house. That helps a lot.

Guess you wont be cleaning my house :))))