Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahrdrh

Ideas to Convert this room to a home office

ahrdrh
2 years ago

How would you convert this room to an office? Considering arched French doors vs closing off one entry way.

Comments (3)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

If you don’t need the living space. I’d definitely do French doors.
    I think that would be gorgeous.
    But I think I’d close off the other wall.
    French doors by the opening closer to the wall.
    Excellent space!!
    Love those chairs!!
    And the arches.
    Add a door, close in the wall, paint or maybe do a pretty wallpaper and a new light and done. :)

• M Miller
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I agree with previous comment that if you want the space as a home office, you’ll need to close off one opening entirely - probably whichever is the bigger opening. For a couple reasons. As we’ve learned during quarantine, it‘s not good to have sounds easily transmitted when you are either trying to concentrate on your work or you are on a Zoom call. No one wants to hear in their home office the kids talking, the kitchen blender going, a nearby toilet flushing, or your SO on his/her call in the next room. Also for privacy - people walking by should not be able to see your computer screen showing, say, your bank statement, bills you are paying, confidential information from work, and the like. So close off one wall, and french doors on the other would be my recommendation.

Furnishings-wise, I‘d remove the sofa and one or both of the armchairs - you need to add a desk, a spot to put the printer/scanner, and a couple file cabinets. File cabinets don’t have to be ugly, they make nicer-looking ones. Not too big file cabinets - try to be paperless as much as you can. Also a good task light for your desk, and an ergonomic desk chair. I bought an Aeron chair used - new they are $1300+; I paid $500 for a used one for what I think is the best desk chair on the market, but there are others out there for less.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Are similar arches found throughout your home? If not, consider reworking both openings; closing one and making the other a normal door or standard pair of French doors. What was the original purpose of the room? We often see dining rooms in this configuration. If it was meant to be a dining room, then place the door on the wall that has shortest access to the kitchen, so it can be used as such by later owners if you sell.