Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Has anyone tried this fertilizer?

Has anyone tried this fertilizer?

Hi friends ! I was browsing Amazon for the next best fertilizer that’ll knock my socks off . And this came up . The reviews looks great but then I realized they are from folks that grow pot . This not being my area of expertise... I do know they want the most flower buds as possible tho .

Has anyone tried this or a similar product with good results for their roses ?

Definitely interested in what you think before I order !

Comments (12)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Aghhhh it wont let me link it !

one more question ...

used aquarium water is good fertilizer right ? i thnk i read before its fine to use ... just checking .

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 years ago

Lilyfinch, I can't answer your question, but that reminded me of another one I think you tried - Maxsea. If you have used it, what did you think? And, if you try Flower Fuel, please let us in on that, too.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

It looks like Flower Fuel is exceedingly high in phosphorus, which can build up in the soil, and become a water pollutant. A plant can only use a set amount of phosphorus, the rest is left in the soil. I don't understand how excessive amounts of the stuff can be extra beneficial to plants that flower, yet all the so called fertilizers that supposedly encourage flowering feature huge amounts of excess phosphorus. An exceptions might be a potted plant that is watered frequently and loses a lot of phosphorus in the water that drains out. Flower Fuel has very little nitrogen, I noticed. And you're paying $19.97 for a little over half a pound of fertilizer. Yikes. Diane

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

@Diane Brakefield I'm wonder if this fertilizer is meant to be used on plants that are grown via hydroponics, not in soil. Lily, have you checked that? A LOT of people prefer to grow their weed with hydroponic systems now, and those numbers make me suspect that this is for that purpose. The plants grow very quickly and different nutrients are added to the water at different growing stages, which would explain the very low N.

• Rose Lai (9b)
    2 years ago

I looked at the ingredient of Flower Fuel. It seemed there is not any (or not enough) iron, copper, magnesium, manganese and zinc. Very low in nitrogen but high doses of phosphorous and potassium which is a common formula for blooming. Interestingly, it has vitamin B1 which is the ingredient of Superthrive. It doesn't seem to me a balance diet. It will depends on your soil. A lot of places in California has alkaline soil, and consequently deficiency in iron, zinc, magnesium are not uncommon. So it will depend on your soil need and whether your soil need certain micronutrient. If so, this product will not be the best. If your soil is not deficient in anything, this formula may be fine.

I mix Maxsea 16-16-16 and Maxsea bloom 3-20-20 (in 1:1 ratio) for a formula of approximately 10-20-20 to induce bloom in the spring. Maxsea contains a more comprehensive profile of micronutrients in addition to the base, plus a bit more nitrogen which my soil needs (my soil is deficient in nitrogen). There is also the seweed as well. Later in the season I don't use high phosphorus formula as Diane said. Most soil does not need so much phosphorus (in proportion to nitrogen or potassium) as it accumulates in the soil. the K (sulfate of potash) is very beneficial, not only for blooming but also for prevention of disease. So later in the season I tend to use sulfate of potash as supplemental fertilizer to induce blooming.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Magpie, that sounds logical, plus the prices and quantities aren't aimed at the home gardener. Diane

2 years ago

Thanks, Rose Lai and Lilyfinch for your experiences with Maxsea, and I'm glad, Rose Lai, that you brought up the two formulas. One reason I don't order it is because I get stuck deciding between the two. Mixing them together is brilliant. Lilly Miller has done wonders for my roses, thank you Diane, but they're still not up to their potential. I think my soil is woefully lacking in something important.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Flowers, have you tried using Plant Tone as well as the Lilly Miller? The Tones are one leg of my "three legged stool." I know you can't get the Nu Life Compost. I've read, and I believe, that generous watering is the ultimate fertilizer for roses. Do your roses need more water, perhaps? The photos of your roses show beautiful blooms, every one. So what is it you're are specifically trying to improve? Diane

2 years ago

Diane, the blooms I get are fine, but I rarely have a bush covered in blooms. There's a few, including the once bloomers and the new ones in the patio bed. My husband says the patio roses bloom better because of the holes they're in. Because of the layer of caliche, he dug those holes the size of small bunkers. They're filled with compost, manure and Lilly Miller. Quite a feast, and those roses show it.

The Tones don't have much of an effect. Lilly Miller definitely made a noticeable difference. The fish and kelp liquid also does wonders, but I have not had a chance to use it this year. But, even with those two, there's something missing. A soil test is probably necessary. Compost and/or manure makes a difference, too, but I still never have bushes covered in roses.

When I bought my first roses at Northland, Carol told me water was the best fertilizer, so I've always been careful to water deeply, and often when it's hot. Lately, we've been watering our brains out.

I'm going to get the ball rolling on a soil test in the morning. There's only one thing on my bucket list - rose bushes covered in blooms.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Flowers, let me know what you discover because I have some slackers that don't bloom as well as they should. Mostly, though, it's rebloom that is affected by too much shade on parts of my little yard. This shade affects quite a few roses and inhibits rebloom, and gets worse every year. I've spent a fortune on limbing up and thinning trees, and I'll have to do it again this fall or spring. What a waste of money on those horrid, messy locust trees that I didn't plant. Do you have trees that affect the rose bloom? Diane

2 years ago

The only trees that directly affect my roses are the tall pines, but they provide dappled shade that is helpful during our hot summers, but it hasn't been enough shade this year. My other trees aren't near the garden. My favorite tree had to be removed last year because it was declining - my huge maple. I thought I would like having more sun in the front, however, I really don't want to increase the amount of roses to take care of.

I love my Honey Locust in the backyard. It shades half of the new patio bed in the afternoon, and I think that's the only reason that bed bloomed during most of the heatwave. I love it's chartreuse color in the spring and it's light shade during summer. I love the way it drapes to the ground. It's old, so I doubt it will get any bigger or denser. I would not like it if it interfered with my roses the way yours does. Arborists charge an arm and a leg. Their quotes always shock me.