Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoey512

Can You Help Me Design Landscaping for Difficult Corner?

zoey512
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Please help! Need ideas on how to block the neighbor's shed (see marked area in white). The raised area just to the right of the grasses is difficult as prior land owner used to pile rocks from the farm field in this corner. There is soil but LOTS of fist sized rocks in the ground. Flat area to the right is nice soil.

So far, I have an elm tree that may go in the very back and ideally a pink dogwood on the far right. What would you put amongst this all to block the shed and fill in with landscaping? Ideally something evergreen, bonus points if give a sketch or visual.

Comments (29)

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Elm trees are nasty and short lived. Trees won't hide the shed as well as grasses or bushes will.

zoey512 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    2 years ago

Well, not all elms are "nasty and short lived," but large shrubs would work best.

zoey512 thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    2 years ago

If you want plant suggestions we're gonna need a zone and rough geographical location.

Look at my user name up there ^^ - most of us do something similar so folks don't have to keep asking for location. And we've gotta know location to suggest plants.

zoey512 thanked cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
  • zoey512
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry-Zone 6b Southeastern PA

And the elm is for the back corner only-not to provide the block of shed. It is because that corner of the property also needs shade and I am ok with that being gradual over time.

I would love something with height as this also is a windy corner.

• Sigrid
    2 years ago

Ninebark

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I think I need to see your house where it sits on the property and also why the shed is a mile awau from the neighbors house and from what you show it looks like the doors open onto your property so I need more context.

zoey512 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • D M PNW
    2 years ago

As long as there is soil, the trees will grow roots around them. The difficulty is digging the hole to plant it.

• Sheila Rowan
    2 years ago

I would make it symmetrical, with the same grass on the right side, and a big evergreen bush such as a Rhododendron in the center. Then something lower and contrasting, such as daylilies in a line along the front edge.

• callirhoe123
    2 years ago

Some of the taller ornamental grasses should do nicely.

• zoey512
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are more pics. The corner is a wedge shaped as our properties are on a cul-de-saq. The shed is maybe 5-6 feet from my property line.

• zoey512
    Original Author
    2 years ago

In the first pic you can see where I mowed which is the edge of my property

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

Three Techny arborvitae planted on 6-8 foot centers should block the view.

tj

zoey512 thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • krnuttle
    2 years ago

Several houses ago we had a similar situation. Each of the corners of the lot had rail fence that conformed to the shape of the lot about 6 to 8 feet inside of the line, There were two to three section of fence in each leg.

A long the fence were planted a weeping willow trees, with roses inside along the fence. Living where you do, you could put in a nice larger Japanese Maple, old fashion lilacs, or rose of Sharon.. In the front of the bed, you could plant perennials

zoey512 thanked krnuttle
  • zoey512
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also- any suggestions on how to go about getting rid of the grass to convert to a bed? I'll take any tips on how to make this happen!

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@zoey512 I just have to ask you - is that a cow / calf in that first picture of the last group you posted? Free range?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

When I convert lawn to beds I scalp the grass with the lowest mower setting, cover with 10 layers of newspaper or cardboard (wetting newspaper as I go to keep it in place) and then bury it all in 4-5 inches of mulch.

tj

• sunshine_31
    2 years ago

The trick to hiding an eyesore quickly is to plant closer to you, not way back near the eyesore. Try to plant in layers, This can give a slower growing plant or tree time to establish, further out in the lawn, meanwhile you enjoy your view.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

second to last pic ... why is that large tree on the corner of the patio ... so in artfully staked .... has the tree fallen over previously??? .. there is too much canopy above the height of the loop to accomplish anything ... it is probably doing nothing and should be removed... the stake i mean ...

based on what you reply ... and if removal is an option ... it should probably be replaced with a shrub.. that will hide the shed from your view while using your patio .. this could be accomplished in probably 2 years ..

whereas if you work solely at the property line,.. it will be 4 to 6 years.. to grown anything to size.. to accomplish your goal ... sunshine just above hit that part right out of the park ... the closer the planting.. the faster it happens.. and the less # of plants you need ...

is the primary focus of the goal .. based on your view from the patio???

ken

• zoey512
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@KW PNW Z8 The neighbor has a FAKE cow on their property that his wife bought at an antique store. Worst part is, they move it around the yard so as to not kill the grass underneath!!! Ugh!

@ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5 The leaning tree is a separate issue and was how previous owner had dealt with a tree that doesn't hold up to high winds. Again, separate issue and not going there currently.

The goal is not just from the patio...I would like trees throughout my property both for shade and to be surrounded by green space. But, the rocky corner is a PAIN to mow and would much rather have landscaping.

So, this corner is happening, just a question what layout and specifics to put in it to make visually appealing as there are a multitude of reasons I'd like something in the section of the yard.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    2 years ago

Before you get much further into the weeds on this project, you really should have some sort of general plan for the entire backyard (at least). It doesn't have to be done all at once, or even soon, but you don't want to get into a situation where a large shade tree is wanted where a small, ornamental tree is already established.

So where are you thinking you want large shade trees? Which way is west? If you already have an elm tree, what variety is it? What sort of growth habit does it have? Is it likely to die of Dutch elm disease before it gets to be a good size?

After you've generally figured out tree placement, you start thinking about shrub placement. I wouldn't get too hung up on the idea of evergreens since a lot of deciduous shrubs have dense enough branching to give decent sight blockage even during the winter. They can also often grow quite fast. Large grasses are also a possibility, though a bit of a cliche.

zoey512 thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • zoey512
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY) Thanks for input. I guess what I am saying is I have the trees figured out as I agree, the trees need to come first and would like ideas as to what to place around it or how to layout shurbs etc to make it visually appealing while blocking the shed as well.

The elm is a variety that is not succeptible to dutch elm and is the sapling of a huge one from my mother's yard.

This corner faces west- the sun sets directly behind that corner.

• kitasei2
    2 years ago

If the sun sets behind it, I would plant a tree or large shrub that looks wonderful backlit. Weeping katsura and smokebush (chartreus or purple) are two that come to mind.

Do you have deer? If so, ignore the arborvitae suggestion.

zoey512 thanked kitasei2
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

How long will it take the sapling to grow to a full tree. Will the trunk hide the shed when it is grown?

• zoey512
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@decoenthusiaste No, it will not hide the shed. Will take 10-15 years to be a substantial tree (minimum)

• chloebud
    2 years ago

Zoey, I was kind of hoping Doug from Dig Doug's Designs might see this. He posts here occasionally with some really great mockups. You could always try contacting him. I did a search and found this.

https://www.houzz.com/pro/doug-lockwood/dig-doug-s-designs

zoey512 thanked chloebud
  • KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@zoey512 - Sorry about the FAKE cow - and sorry that I laughed out loud at your reply 😅 just that the answer was so unexpected! I guess one could think ”at least the neighbors didn’t buy a set of pink flamingos…” About your landscape design - I agree with @kitasei2 about getting trees that will glow when backlit by the setting sun - that was my first thought when you said that side points West…

zoey512 thanked KW PNW Z8
  • zoey512
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@KW PNW Z8 I've given up on hiding the cow (*sigh*)

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

Depending on if you like the expansive grass field look or prefer to define the border of your property more, you could plant a line of trees or shrubs with low-growing branches along the property line with layers of shrubs and perennials in front (bonus of hiding the fake cow). I have a fenced yard but had a corner I needed to re-landscape after removing a little pond and found drawing the yard out on graph paper helped me define a plan.

zoey512 thanked pricklypearcactus