Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbthompson

French door vs Counterdepth refrigerator

Sylvia Thompson
2 years ago

I am interested in purchasing a French door refrigerator. I have a 5 foot depth from the wall it will be placed against to the island — can I use a regular depth refrigerator or do I need a counter depth one?

Comments (4)

• User
    2 years ago

You need more room than 60” for either. The minimum aisle width is 42”. Even a counter depth fridge is 30” deep. You need another foot of room at an absolute minimum. Even a built-in or no fridge at all, wouldn’t have enough room.

Sylvia Thompson thanked User
  • Helen
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

A counter depth will look sleeker and not as hulking

I have a French door counter depth refirgerator in my relatively narrow galley kitchen and I don't have more than a five foot aisle. I assume that is what you meant by clearance, The great part about the French doors is that each door is only half the width so thst doors open freely. I also have no problem accessing the freezer portion.

What is more of an issue is when a refrigerator is next to a wall and you can’t open the door fully.

Sylvia Thompson thanked Helen
  • vinmarks
    2 years ago

If from the wall to the island is 60 inches then your aisle is going to be about 30 inches or less even with a counter depth fridge.

Sylvia Thompson thanked vinmarks
  • Sylvia Thompson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you --I understand that the aisle would be too small for someone to be getting something out of the refrigerator and someone else to pass behind them. I wanted the aisle to be large enough for one person to work from the refrigerator. It is a small island, in a U shaped kitchen.