Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ams_amh21

Help with off center wall and room

ams_amh21
2 years ago

This is my living room that you first see when walking into my house. I have an off center wall with a window, a non wall into my dining room, a half wall with stairs, and a wall full of windows. I struggle with the furniture in this room and have tried it all. Furniture has to work for now, the settee gives me nightmares. I did have it on the stairs wall across form the blue sofa, but it was large there and when pushed into corner looks odd not directly across from the sofa. What would complete this is a suggestion for how to address the off center couch on this wall. Thank you!

Comments (12)

• ginatay124
    2 years ago

On the wall with an off center window, you can find a plain mirror the size of the window to hang on the left side of the wall, creating the illusion of symmetrical windows. Then center a large art piece or arrangement between them. If you hang drapes, put a window treatment on the mirror same as on the opposing window.

• ams_amh21
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Interesting, and yes I do plan to hang drapes. Thank you!

• ams_amh21
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also, @BeverlyFLADeziner I think when I did try that, the blue sofa looked too big across the windows and the settee looked too small and lost on the wall where the blue sofa is currently. UGH! But thank you so much!

• ashtonchic
    2 years ago

I think the blue sofa should be centered between the window and the front wall corner or as Beverly shows. I would also get a couple of comfortable chairs instead of the loveseat/settee.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

well, right now the settee looks too small and too high in front of the windows, and the blue sofa is too large on the wall.

switch them around and take another picture

maybe switch the end tables too. or stick a tall plant in the corner by the window and forgo the end table in that corner.

You also need a large piece of art on that one wall (where you have the blue sofa. that wall is empty.

could you move the chairs and the black console to that wall and the settee to where the black piece is?

try these options and take pictures for us

in the furture, you could do a sectional like this (or a small sofa and a few chairs) positioned like this against the back window.

I mentioned art. you see how the art above the sofa adds something? and the plant in the corner? the etigiere is nice too if you can fit it on the end.

another layout option when you're ready for newer items. I don't know if these chairs would be in the way by the stairway. you could put a chair under the window and one opposite.

but again, notice the art and plants.

ams_amh21 thanked Beth H. :
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

You have a tad too much furniture. How often do you use all 8 dining chairs? Have you ever tried the settee at the dining table? You might want to consider that.

Dining Room · More Info

Traditional Dining Room · More Info

The coffee table and end tables are a bit heavy for the style of the rest of the furnishings. The lamps are to slender for the chunky end tables. The lamp on the black table is too squatty. I would move the slipper chair to the master bedroom, and slide the black table over to center on that bit of wall. Not a fan of the metal wall hanging. How about a piece of colorful art instead? Like Beverly, I'd be a fan of a matching sofa to "L" with the current one. Then sell your set of coffee & end tables and replace them with a pair of floor lamps and one larger coffee table that can serve both sofas (12-18" from each of them.)

• ams_amh21
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok, I wanted to show this additional piece of furniture that was originally with this set. It's in my bedroom now, but does it offer anything? And I do agree with all comments made so far....frustrating for me, because for now, I am trying to make the best out of what I have and well, I am failing miserably. I also want to send a picture of what the room looked liek before I lightened the palette.

• ams_amh21
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• ams_amh21
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is a piece of furniture that originally came with the set and I moved upstairs to my bedroom, because it was big and bulky. Does it offer anything?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

ams, if we took a spaceship back in time to 1990, then that chair would be perfect. it does look comfortable. the ottoman is rather large for use in the living area.

But since you asked for help and opinions, I'm going to be honest and say, "no, it doesn't offer anything".

this, however, looks much better. what do you think?

seems like you have more room, and the furniture actually looks nice. I like the blue drapes. maybe a green potted plant somewhere?

• PRO
    Annette Jaffe Interiors
    2 years ago

We might recommend trying a nice piece of artwork over the sofa. It might help balance things more in the room.

Classic Upper East Side: Living Room · More Info

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH