Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillerenaud

lightening exterior stone. need advice!

Jill
2 years ago

Hello! The orange and brown on our stone has bothered me since the day it was installed. I have a mason who just did a sample of the over grout method. It softens and lightens the whole face. Opinions please before I pull the trigger. The job isn’t cheap!

Comments (21)

• Chris Gillis
    2 years ago

It’s pretty pale but it’s certainly better than the orange. I would do it. You could always add colour with plants across the front in a flower bed or something

• Jill
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! It’s a big change!

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Looks a bit too chalky & artificial for my taste. Have you checked for other solutions from Romabio?

• Jill
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I did. I was worried it would make the stones and grout look too uniform

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Looks good! I like it a lot! If you can do another coat it may look even better.

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

I think it looks much better. You can even slather a little more mortar along the edges so they are not as clearly defined…..all depends on how old world you want it look. I would just be careful to pick a very neutral mortar color (not white). My masons simply used regular non colored mortar for a very natural look.

• Jill
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Awesome! Yes we spoke about going further into the stones but the grout lines are so wide already! And we also have chosen just the premix mortar. It’s an off white but want to ensure it’s not too white!

• flopsycat1
    2 years ago

I agree, the orange and brown stone looks off with the grey siding. Go for it!

• ashtonchic
    2 years ago

Big improvement!

• Jill
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Update on how it’s dried! Looks even better imo. Thank you all for your feedback! It’s not a cheap job so wanted to be sure!

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Drying did improve it some.

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

OMG….looks fantastic….soo much better!

• Jill
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’ve been so embarrassed over this stone since day one. Literally cringing everytime I look at it. So this is a huge sigh of relief!

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

I TOTALLY get it…the relief you feel! When we chose an exterior paint color for our new build, I was completely mortified when I drove up to the sight after they had finished painting. It was absolutely horrible. I was so embarrassed I couldn’t wait to have them cover it with a brand new color…in my view they couldn’t paint it fast enough!

Please give details as to mortar color and your masons specific technique etc. so we can help others. This issue does come up fairly often and this is a really great example of the improvement that can be accomplished.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

Now I would buy new hoses in either gray or black, preferably gray, and a gray hose reel. If you live in an arid zone, you may want to add an automatic watering line for the foundation plants. I would add a few more foundation plants which won’t grow too tall or wide…..flowering shrubs which do well in your zone.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Looks great!!

• Jill
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here’s the finished result! Very happy with how this turned out! It’s just so much softer on the eyes.

• t
    last year

Wow...looks like a brand new house!

• rm615
    18 days ago

Turned out great! How long did the process take? Trying to do the same to our orange stone…but our house is covered with it

• Kay p
    18 days ago

Absolutely love how it looks. Beautiful home BTW We will do this to our fireplace.